Special Teams

Special Teams Keep Colonels close but fall 32-16

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Eastern Kentucky’s special teams recovered two punts and a kickoff, while blocking a point-after attempt and a punt in a 32-16 loss at Marshall on Saturday at Joan C. Edwards Stadium.

The opening kickoff of the second half bounced off the leg of the returner for Marshall (2-0), and redshirt freshman Matthew Jackson recovered the kick for the Colonels at Marshall’s 30-yard line. LJ Scott kept the Colonels’ drive alive with a 15-yard run on third down. Two plays later, Alonzo Booth powered into the end zone to cut the lead to seven points, 20-13, with 12:28 left in the third quarter.

That’s as close as EKU would get.

Eastern Kentucky (1-1) had two rushing touchdowns, courtesy of Scott and Booth. The Colonels out-rushed the Thundering Herd 139-89. Leodis Moore III and Darien Tipps-Clemons both recorded blocks on special teams for EKU.

The Colonels’ opening drive of the game ended with a punt, but the ball bounced off a Marshall player and Jaelin Carter recovered it. The offense could not sustain a drive and the Thundering Herd went on to score 13 unanswered points in the first quarter.

Eastern experienced déjà vu when its first drive of the second quarter ended with a punt that was touched by a Marshall player, allowing Booth to recover the ball. Starting at Marshall’s 19-yard line, EKU only needed three plays for Scott to find the end zone for a two-yard touchdown.

After an interception late in the second quarter led to a quick Marshall touchdown, Dakota Allen marched the Colonels down the field. A field goal attempt with :04 remaining would be denied, allowing the Thundering Herd to take a 20-6 lead into the locker room.

Marshall wasted no time responding to Booth’s touchdown, using a quick five play, 55-yard drive to extend their lead 27-13. A field goal with 7:27 left in the fourth quarter put the Thundering Herd ahead by 17 points.

Special teams managed to make one last big play when Tipps-Clemons blocked a punt with 5:18 left in the game. EKU’s offense went three-and-out, settling for a field goal to make it a 30-16 game. On a third down with 3:06 remaining, Allen was sacked in the endzone for a safety to extend the Thundering Herd lead to 32-16.

Marshall’s Isaiah Green threw for a game-high 278 yards, completing 23-of-39 attempts. Obi Obialo attributed two receiving touchdowns for the Thundering Herd, while Tyre Brad had one.

The Colonels continue a stretch of two-straight road games next Saturday at Bowling Green State University. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.

Latest news from the Maroon Nation

EKU Cancels Football Maroon & White game

EKU Cancels Football Maroon & White game

A lack of depth at key positions due to injuries and continued adherence to COVID-19 protocols will limit the ability to conduct Maroon & White game. RICHMOND, Ky. – The Eastern Kentucky football Maroon & White game scheduled for Saturday has been canceled. In...

EKU Football Adds Two New Coaches

EKU Football Adds Two New Coaches

RICHMOND, Ky. – Mike Dietzel and Garry McPeek have joined the Eastern Kentucky football staff. Dietzel will serve as the safeties coach and McPeek will be the assistant director of football operations. Dietzel replaces former assistant Shannon Morrison on the staff....

EKU Football Sets Date For Annual Maroon White Game

EKU Football Sets Date For Annual Maroon White Game

Admission is FREE. Fans are required to wear masks and maintain social distancing. RICHMOND, Ky. – Eastern Kentucky's annual Maroon White Game will be held on April 24 at Roy Kidd Stadium. The game will begin at 11 a.m. Beginning in late March, the Colonels will have...