Alice Lloyd College (Ky.)

g--

Alice Lloyd College (Ky.)

Post by g-- »

I had to look up Pippa Passes, KY (the home of Alice Lloyd College). It’s between Hollybush KY and Mallie KY. According to the map you go to Hazard and then get on a very winding little country road and drive into the mountains for about 30 miles more.

This is interesting - In spite of the extremely small size of the College they have 4 basketball players on the roster who are 6-7 or taller.

Instead of running up the score on this little College team the way we did against Berea and Chillicothe I’d rather see a whole lot more of Tariq Balogun. And, why not give the walk-on players some serious playing time? They deserve it for all they’ve given to EKU basketball. Just my opinion, but running up the score on little Colleges makes Coach A.W. Hamilton look insecure.
EKU05

Re: Alice Lloyd College (Ky.)

Post by EKU05 »

I see what you're saying, but it could also just say that he has a team with a lot of new guys that haven't played together before, and every minute on the court learning each other's tendencies and building team chemistry is valuable and could pay off in January, February, etc. If we had a more veteran team it might be a little different.
g--

Post by g-- »

I thought about that as a possible explanation. Here’s the problem I see with that line of thought, as BigDawgEKU posted on the Ohio Chillicothe Hilltoppers thread, “we just made a couple lazy passes and just chucked up a three. Barley ran an offense at times” instead “get lazy and jack up 45 threes.”

I saw the same thing BigDawgEKU did. It makes me wonder if the team, when playing against these small colleges, really are using “every minute on the court learning each other's tendencies and building team chemistry” or just showboating (I can’t imagine they learn anything from showboating).

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be playing these small colleges. You made a really good point in another thread that scheduling isn’t easy and that “non D1 games are just part of life. Nearly every program outside of the power conferences does it.” My point is/was, running up the score is un-sportsman like, and I might add it's also boring to watch (anyway, for me it is).
Last edited by g-- on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

g-- wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:09 pm I thought about that as a possible explanation. Here’s the problem I see with that line of thought, as BigDawgEKU posted on the Ohio Chillicothe Hilltoppers thread, “we just made a couple lazy passes and just chucked up a three. Barley ran an offense at times” instead “get lazy and jack up 45 threes.”

I saw the same thing BigDawgEKU did. It makes me wonder if the team, when playing against these small colleges, really are using “every minute on the court learning each other's tendencies and building team chemistry” or just showboating (I can’t imagine they learn anything from showboating).

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be playing these small colleges. You made a really good point in another thread that scheduling isn’t easy and that “non D1 games are just part of life. Nearly every program outside of the power conferences does it.” My point is, running up the score is un-sportsman like, and I might add it's also boring to watch (anyway, for me it is).
It's a fair point to wonder how long you can sustain focus when you're up by that much. It's tough to get inside AWH's head.
g--

Post by g-- »

Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

Is Brown hurt? He did not start.
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

Maroon Forever wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 pm Is Brown hurt? He did not start.
I don’t even see him on the bench. (Now I do.)
Last edited by Maroon Forever on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Greg said he is out with a knee injury.
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Minority owner of Manchester United of England Premier League

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
EKULFan

Post by EKULFan »

Hope Browns knee injury is not serious... :o g do you or anyone else have any details? Also, what is the status of H. King , C Lewis and P. Broughton? :?:
BigDawgEKU

Post by BigDawgEKU »

Even though the shooting was ugly at times tonight, I thought we were much better offensively. We were far more aggressive attacking the zone then we were against OUC. We were moving the ball north and south and getting the ball in the paint and making things happen. Several of the threes came from getting the ball inside and then kicking it out for good looks. 27 assist tonight. Got a little lazy at times and started throwing up threes late in the game but good adjustment from AW to get this offense to attack more.

Another solid effort from Carmical. If he continues to shoot the three well, he deserves more playing time. Not the most talented kid but he hustles on D and is a solid shooter.

I would not be surprised to see Moreno starting by the end of the year. Going to be hard to keep his shooting off the floor.

Most disappointing thing tonight was the effort on the boards. Got out rebounded and gave up 15 offensive rebounds. Not going to cut it against better competition.