Belmont OVC semis game

Rosie

Belmont OVC semis game

Post by Rosie »

AW promised new things against Belmont, as what we did earlier didn't work. That's smart...a good coach sometimes must adjust--even if significantly different from the usual. My thoughts are these: 1)run offense thru Moreno more, 2) ball more in Cruickshank/Hobbs hands and give Brown ball in less predictable ways or Brown will have ball stolen or slapped down inside. 3) some zone, but mostly mix things up, 4) be discrete, judicious about full-court press, and 5)take care of ball and GET GOOD LOOKS before shooting and mitigate rebound advantage of Belmont. What do you say?
ekubg

Re: Belmont OVC semis game

Post by ekubg »

I would agree on defense. Less pressing and concentrate on half court.
I don’t know how you change offense so drastically at this point and get the ball out of Brown’s hands. Even if you design it differently, Brown has to comply. I don’t see him doing that unless he’s on the bench.
I think running sets with Hobbs at the point makes sense. More ball movement and less dribble drive. Focus on getting ball to King and Moreno.
I still think the key is shooting. Taylor, Moreno and Brown all have to hit outside shots. Not sure Cruikshank can throw it in the ocean at this point.
Also have to rebound. It’s been a glaring weakness all year. It’ll really look bad if Belmont gets 10-15 offensive boards that convert to second chance points.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

I'm glad we're adjusting, but this is still going to be tough. We could play our A+ game and at least potentially still lose. Part of the problem I see it is that our success is often predicated on putting other teams in positions when they panic and make mistakes. Belmont just doesn't do that. They're so disciplined!

But they play the games for a reason. Go Colonels!
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

EKU05 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:02 pm We could play our A+ game and at least potentially still lose. Part of the problem I see it is that our success is often predicated on putting other teams in positions when they panic and make mistakes. Belmont just doesn't do that. They're so disciplined!
This is a great point. I think we shot a better percentage than Belmont in Richmond, but they got so many more shots than us! They are a fine passing team and unselfish. If we could become more like that next year with the talent that’s coming back, Eastern could be ready for a real breakthrough.
g--

Post by g-- »

5-5

A lot of bad shooting!
g--

Post by g-- »

9-18

Still not shooting well.
Last edited by g-- on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

It’s certainly early 4:39 left in first half), but this is the most aggressive defense I’ve seen Eastern play all year.
Gotta hit some shots!
g--

Post by g-- »

16-22

Now shooting 28% for the game.
BigDawgEKU

Post by BigDawgEKU »

Nothing changed offensively. Same mess we have been running all year. Hopefully AW goes back and learns from these Belmont games and watches how they move the ball.

Defense was really solid especially early on. We sped Belmont up a bit and got them a little out of rhythm and the shots were not falling for them.

Belmont will likely adjust in the second half so we are just going to need to get lucky and get some shots to fall or we will lose by 15 plus.
g--

Post by g-- »

half time - 21-30

Both teams are shooting 27%.