Next steps

Eternalcolonel22

Next steps

Post by Eternalcolonel22 »

Lochmueller got rid of McHale.. any chance Roberts will be next? We had this conversation a year or two ago... no progress in the program. Overall record is not good in her tenure. Time for a change.

Any idea on her current contract?
Colonel12

Re: Next steps

Post by Colonel12 »

No progress? She went to the ovc championship game back to back years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
Eternalcolonel22

And then didn’t make the tournament at all this year. Making the championship game 2 years in a row was great but then this year we are awful. Too inconsistent. Those two years could have been a jumping pad to be a consistent contender and then we flop. Unfortunately we are getting everyone back too (minus wood) which means next season probably won’t be much better.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Teams go through rebuilding years. We aren't uconn.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
Colonel Grad

Post by Colonel Grad »

In the past I've been a vocal supporter.
I now believe it is time for a change, whenever her contract allows for it without a buyout.

It was clear this year that there were only 2-3 players on the entire team that are top tier OVC players. The OVC has a lot of really bad women's basketball programs. With the resources EKU has, there's no excuse for not being a regular top-5 team in a really weak conference.

It's certainly a fact that the team made the OVC Championship game two years in a row. But let's take a closer look.
In 2016, the No. 1 seed got upset and EKU faced the No. 8 seed in the semifinals, and then got completely waxed in the championship game.
In 2017, EKU barely got into the tournament, having to win the final game of the regular season to even make it. The team did pull two upsets as the No. 7 seed to make the championship game. But then got completely waxed again. I think this particular 2017 tournament run speaks to just how much the team underachieved throughout the regular season.

This year, the team lost twice to Tennessee State, which won two other OVC games all year and finished 11th in the standings. The team isn't now, and hasn't been for several years, even close to competing with the top two programs in the conference (Belmont and UT Martin).

Something I find interesting. The previous seven OVC tournaments (and almost guaranteed to be 8 after this year's tournament), have been won by teams coached by men. Four by UT Martin, two by Belmont and one by former EKU coach Larry Joe Inman at Tennessee State. Best I can tell, 13 of the last 16 tournaments have been won by teams coached by a man. Not sure what that means. Not saying the right female coach can't get the job done. But for whatever reason, in the OVC it hasn't been happening.

Lastly, and I think more important for women's basketball at EKU than anything I mentioned above, this team has become horrible to watch. Even when they win, they do so about as ugly as a team can possibly do it.
Eternalcolonel22

Colonel Grad wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:08 am In the past I've been a vocal supporter.
I now believe it is time for a change, whenever her contract allows for it without a buyout.

It was clear this year that there were only 2-3 players on the entire team that are top tier OVC players. The OVC has a lot of really bad women's basketball programs. With the resources EKU has, there's no excuse for not being a regular top-5 team in a really weak conference.

It's certainly a fact that the team made the OVC Championship game two years in a row. But let's take a closer look.
In 2016, the No. 1 seed got upset and EKU faced the No. 8 seed in the semifinals, and then got completely waxed in the championship game.
In 2017, EKU barely got into the tournament, having to win the final game of the regular season to even make it. The team did pull two upsets as the No. 7 seed to make the championship game. But then got completely waxed again. I think this particular 2017 tournament run speaks to just how much the team underachieved throughout the regular season.

This year, the team lost twice to Tennessee State, which won two other OVC games all year and finished 11th in the standings. The team isn't now, and hasn't been for several years, even close to competing with the top two programs in the conference (Belmont and UT Martin).

Something I find interesting. The previous seven OVC tournaments (and almost guaranteed to be 8 after this year's tournament), have been won by teams coached by men. Four by UT Martin, two by Belmont and one by former EKU coach Larry Joe Inman at Tennessee State. Best I can tell, 13 of the last 16 tournaments have been won by teams coached by a man. Not sure what that means. Not saying the right female coach can't get the job done. But for whatever reason, in the OVC it hasn't been happening.

Lastly, and I think more important for women's basketball at EKU than anything I mentioned above, this team has become horrible to watch. Even when they win, they do so about as ugly as a team can possibly do it.

Your points on the OVC championship games is exactly why I don’t give too much credit for those.

I agree with you on all of these points. It is hard to watch them.