AW a Finalist for UIC job

EKU05

Re: AW a Finalist for UIC job

Post by EKU05 »

For added context, in the same span, the program has had 8 seasons of 20+ losses.

Since 2004 season UIC is 259-373. That is abysmal. It shows no one has had success there or at the minimum sustained success. You go there, your coaching career will have the wheels come off the wagon.

So if he goes there he’s not making even a lateral move.
This kind of all depends.

First, we should note that they just moved over to the MVC from the Horizon in 2022, so there is no significant sample of them competing against that conference. Any attempt to highlight where they are in the overall MVC pecking order is an educated guess at best.

But in a broader sense, if they have an administration in place that is committed to the level of resources it will take to complete in the MVC, then there really isn't any logical reason you can't compete there, but it's probably going to take a bigger financial commitment than they've made to this point.

But I'm in general agreement with SAE. If he left for such a small step up, if in fact it is a step up, after one regular season title that was part of an overall disappointing season, and after failing to make even a single appearance in a conference title game...then go. Our roster is turning over, and if we're going to get a new coach soon anyway it might as well be now. My overall view of the Hamilton era, if this turns out to be the end of it, would be that it wasn't bad. It just didn't live up to the promise that it seemed to have. In that sense, it's been disappointing.
hoopseku

Post by hoopseku »

Was told this morning he’s not going.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

hoopseku wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:58 pm Was told this morning he’s not going.
I'm glad to hear that if true. I just referred to unfulfilled promise in my previous post, and I still think he can deliver on it if he stays around long enough to get there. He's as good a recruiter and motivator as exists in the game today...we just need to take that final step and put it all together. Once he does that, I think he'll have much better opportunities than UIC to move onto.
Sae

Post by Sae »

EKU05 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:13 pm
hoopseku wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:58 pm Was told this morning he’s not going.
I'm glad to hear that if true. I just referred to unfulfilled promise in my previous post, and I still think he can deliver on it if he stays around long enough to get there. He's as good a recruiter and motivator as exists in the game today...we just need to take that final step and put it all together. Once he does that, I think he'll have much better opportunities than UIC to move onto.
we will find out how good he can recruit this off season. The thing I'm interested in seeing is if the same pipelines from Hargrave continue as he gets away from kids he had there. This upcoming season will tell alot, it will most likely be a step back from this year, the question is how much of one.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

we will find out how good he can recruit this off season. The thing I'm interested in seeing is if the same pipelines from Hargrave continue as he gets away from kids he had there. This upcoming season will tell alot, it will most likely be a step back from this year, the question is how much of one.
I agree. I've had the same thought about the Hargrave pipeline a million times.
Braxton

Post by Braxton »

This is on UIC’s message board yesterday.

“I know nothing about AW Hamilton, but his career record is nothing special.”

“AW Hamilton is intriguing only from the standpoint he plays a fun brand of basketball. EKU has always been one of the fastest paced teams in the country. Will that lead to wins in the Valley? Not sure”
- FIRE JAKE JOHNSON -
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Braxton wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:10 pm This is on UIC’s message board yesterday.

“I know nothing about AW Hamilton, but his career record is nothing special.”

“AW Hamilton is intriguing only from the standpoint he plays a fun brand of basketball. EKU has always been one of the fastest paced teams in the country. Will that lead to wins in the Valley? Not sure”
I saw that too. I don't know that I disagree with anything said. I love Coach Hamilton, and he's been one of the best ambassador's for EKU in recent memory. He's recruited out of his mind. He's driven attendance up. But the results over a six- year period are in the pretty darn good but not great category.
Braxton

Post by Braxton »

From ESPN article today:

“UIC still has a few names on its list, but Eastern Kentucky's AW Hamilton is emerging as a legitimate candidate there”

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -vacancies
- FIRE JAKE JOHNSON -
dmr55

Post by dmr55 »

Braxton wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:10 pm From ESPN article today:

“UIC still has a few names on its list, but Eastern Kentucky's AW Hamilton is emerging as a legitimate candidate there”

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -vacancies
They hired a former UAB coach
neugie

Post by neugie »

i have to questionhis commitment to eku interviewing at this school if he wants out that bad good riddens