Jacksonville Tournament Game 1

ohcolonel6

Re: Jacksonville Tournament Game 1

Post by ohcolonel6 »

I think AW needs to win a conference tournament before he gets real solid looks at teams above our level. He has not been to a NCAA tournament yet. That’s normally the benchmark. I get that he’s won two Coach of the Year awards, but— this season’s flame out is not going to look good to prospective schools.

Because, some inside baseball, when school’s hire, especially at bigger schools, Boosters play a huge part. And they’re not going to want a guy who has not taken a team to March Madness. They’re just not in my opinion.

I think he will be here next year because I don’t see any other school, one that would be a for sure step up, calling. We went 17-14, and again, 3 of those wins are non-D1 schools. So, we really were 14-14. That’s not exactly spring boarding yourself.
LC FAN

Post by LC FAN »

If Walker, Comer and Buttery all come back Micah Davis freshman should be good and Holt sitting out should have a good backcourt. But going to really have to recruit for the front and wing players.
FormerColonel08

Post by FormerColonel08 »

I’m sorry.

I know he’s a local guy. And people like that. But you have to recruit over Buttry. If you want to be competitive and make the next step you can’t have him being a key piece in the backcourt.

If he gets hot, there is no doubt he can shoot it. But he’s very much a liability on the defensive end. And if he’s not hitting shots on a night he’s unplayable.

Sure he is a great kid. I don’t know him. But just saying what I think.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Colonel12 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:04 pm I would be slightly surprised if AW is here next year. I bet he gets looked at for bigger coaching opportunities.
People generally like results. He's been doing this for six years, and he's yet to have a team that actually started and finished the season well. It hasn't happened a single time. I just don't feel like too many schools are getting out the checkbook for that.

It would be an odd time to leave if he's not getting a much bigger opportunity. I know he and his wife value living in this area, and he's about to get a massive facilities overhaul here.

As a Louisville fan, I'd be appalled if they hired a coach with that little on his resume (again).
hoopseku

Post by hoopseku »

Guess the same coulda been said for Moreno. Bad defender but could make shots when gets hot. You’d be surprised at guys like 0 and 22 and others in practice. But water under the bridge again gonna be crazy 2-3 weeks from what I hear. Might be looking at entirely new team and some guys might be transferring to pretty good schools. However it’s hearsay for now. The world of college athletics as we know. I had open heart surgery 6 weeks ago please remember me there might be an issue.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

hoopseku wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:26 pm Guess the same coulda been said for Moreno. Bad defender but could make shots when gets hot. You’d be surprised at guys like 0 and 22 and others in practice. But water under the bridge again gonna be crazy 2-3 weeks from what I hear. Might be looking at entirely new team and some guys might be transferring to pretty good schools. However it’s hearsay for now. The world of college athletics as we know. I had open heart surgery 6 weeks ago please remember me there might be an issue.
I had felt in my gut the whole time that we'd be likely to use Comer and Walker. That's some talent a lot of schools would like to have.
ColonelFan22

Post by ColonelFan22 »

Deleted
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Saw everything that had run through my head except this. This team needed Cooper Robb or someone like him. A leader.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Maroon Forever wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:13 pm Really enjoyed reading this thread. Saw everything that had run through my head except this. This team needed Cooper Robb or someone like him. A leader.
I really believed that Moreno could and would be that guy, and it certainly seems like Blanton could be too. But you're right. This team at its best was pretty good, but they lacked the consistency you expect of a veteran group that has played together for a while. That little something was missing, and a guy like Robb certainly could be that X-factor. He was fantastic during that CBI run last year.
Last edited by EKU05 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadcolonelfan

Post by cadcolonelfan »

Maroon Forever wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:13 pm Really enjoyed reading this thread. Saw everything that had run through my head except this. This team needed Cooper Robb or someone like him. A leader.
Exactly... that is sort of what I was eluding to in my previous post about the only difference between this team and the team that almost won that tournament last year, was Cooper Robb. I guess he was more of a leader than I realized, and no one stepped up into that role.