Jacksonville Tournament Game 1

ohcolonel6

Re: Jacksonville Tournament Game 1

Post by ohcolonel6 »

The most similar guy to Robb is Walker. Both play with fire and guts. Walker was a year off really harnessing that fire in a way that propels his teammates. Untamed passion can/is a liability with younger players. I think if Walker had another year to mature it could have been him. The vocal leader.

The leader of the team was Cozart in my opinion. He just led by his play and effort. Blanton never stepped up and just really embraced what was needed of him apart from 2 games?

Still reeling from the loss, beyond frustrating too seeing as Lipscomb was knocked off as well. I think we had a good shot. They don’t come too often.
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

I think the real missing piece was Kapiti. He could give you 10-12 solid minutes a game, absorb 4 fouls, be a tough defender in the middle and score 6 points (plus he was a decent passer). He also gave Cozart needed minutes of rest. Only having Myrick as a big man off the bench really hurt the overall team. When Cozart was out, we were really small and gave up way too many drives and layups.
When he was on, Blanton could drive and pull up for a 10-footer, but he often got stuck trying to create his shot and dribbled it away, made a bad pass or got his pocket picked.
I'd be interested to see who AW recruits and gets from the portal. I'd say he needs a minimum of 4 forward/center type guys. Other schools seem to be able to find that 6'7" to 6'9" player that can defend and rebound and give you 6-8 points. I don't know why it's been so hard for EKU to get them.
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

Well Jacksonville nearly upset Stetson, leading by as many as 9 with less than 5 minutes left.
A 3 pointer with 4 seconds left rescued Stetson from the upset. But it just goes to show that JU was no fluke and was playing as well as anyone.
Austin Peay win the other semi final and they were playing their best ball at the right time. EKU could have beaten APSU the last week of the season and should have beaten JU. So it’s not a lack of talent.
The team just wasn’t playing its best when it counted. It only makes it more frustrating.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see AP win the tournament on Sunday.