renovation questions

BleedMaroon

Re: renovation questions

Post by BleedMaroon »

I went to the Lex caravan stop. The renderings were great. The wall came down and there was about 10-15 rows of seats and 4-5 boxes above it. I asked if those rows of seats were permanent or able to retract to create a stage and wasn't given a solid answer. I am assuming tomorrow's big announcement will include renderings. Capacity might only grow 1-2k due to seatbacks being added to the whole place which I actually like. They might keep the student section benches so the capacity grows by 2-3k and not just 1-2k from what was talked about at the caravan stop.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

BleedMaroon wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:19 am I went to the Lex caravan stop. The renderings were great. The wall came down and there was about 10-15 rows of seats and 4-5 boxes above it. I asked if those rows of seats were permanent or able to retract to create a stage and wasn't given a solid answer. I am assuming tomorrow's big announcement will include renderings. Capacity might only grow 1-2k due to seatbacks being added to the whole place which I actually like. They might keep the student section benches so the capacity grows by 2-3k and not just 1-2k from what was talked about at the caravan stop.
I wasn't under the impression that the capacity was supposed to grow at all. I assumed the new seating areas would essentially offset lost seating due to going chairback, but maybe I'm wrong.

Do we even want to increase capacity? Even on a good year our average attendance is only half full, and many arenas are currently cutting capacity in favor of quality. Even "mighty" UK slashed a few thousand from Rupp when when they renovated the upper level. Live sports attendance is way down across the board, and it was trending that way big time even before the pandemic.

I personally wouldn't want our arena to hold more than about 7,000...if that.
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

I really hope it doesn't grow in capacity. I am hoping the seatbacks are decent size and aren't crunched together. I'd be much more likely to venture to EKU for a few games a year if I was comfortable. More space but same amount of seats would be amazing but I kept hearing that capacity needs to grow for non basketball related events so concerts, graduation?
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Renderings were tweeted out but quickly deleted.
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
Sae

Post by Sae »

looks really nice, will be a huge improvement over the current set up
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

That looks amazing!
hoopseku

Post by hoopseku »

will help with recruiting and the overall fan experience
neugie

Post by neugie »

Well done Looks fabulous
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

Going to be such a game changer for basketball and EKU as a whole. Concerts, commencement, orientation, large scale events and of course bball/volleyball. Having current, future, and former students inside of Alumni when it's done is really going to help everyone.

If AW can recruit like this, think of him with this new arena!!!