AW Contract Extension.

Sae

Re: AW Contract Extension.

Post by Sae »

g-- wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 pm
EKU05 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 pm Or can we just get rid of those walls and bring the seating a little further down?
If I recall correctly there isn’t enough space from the wall to the court for spectator seating because the team bench (chairs), visiting team bench (chairs), and official's tables take up about 75% of the space that’s available. Am I right about that? Also didn’t they already open the wall on the end of the court where the students sit and put in additional court side seating a few years ago?
Yes there is seating on the endzone for students, they COULD cut through the wall and do something similar down the side opposite the benches but you would lose the press row seating and the courtside chairs they started several years ago. The way the building is set up there is not really an easy solution. It seems both athletic structures were built during very different times and some of the things needed then and out of the necessity to get the building built are starting to haunt us ohhh 50 years later.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

g-- wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 pm
EKU05 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 pm Or can we just get rid of those walls and bring the seating a little further down?
If I recall correctly there isn’t enough space from the wall to the court for spectator seating because the team bench (chairs), visiting team bench (chairs), and official's tables take up about 75% of the space that’s available. Am I right about that? Also didn’t they already open the wall on the end of the court where the students sit and put in additional court side seating a few years ago?
I wondered about that too, but honestly, picture any other basketball arena you see on TV. There is often no space whatsoever behind the bench. It just goes into the first row of seating. Is there any reason we can't do the same? If necessary, the first two behind the bench could still be seating for team personnel. In the past for the All-A Classic they've set up an full additional circle of raise press tables all around the horseshoe.
Last edited by EKU05 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
dljordaneku

Post by dljordaneku »

EKU05 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 am ..... In the past for the All-A Classic they've set up an full additional circle of raise press tables all around the horseshoe.
Ugg. I hated those raised tables. :(

dj
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

dljordaneku wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:32 am
EKU05 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 am ..... In the past for the All-A Classic they've set up an full additional circle of raise press tables all around the horseshoe.
Ugg. I hated those raised tables. :(

dj
I can understand that. I'll say from an aesthetic standpoint I thought it actually made the transition from court to stands look a little less harsh, but I could definitely see how they'd be a nuisance.
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

When AC was designed, there had been a number of instances of fans charging courts around the nation and some in the OVC. Bob Martin insisted on a design that insulated the floor from the fans. The wall is not loadi bearing and was designed to come out if ever need be.
EKUfan

Post by EKUfan »

Here is another possibility concerning the wall: make the present auxiliary gym a “club” with food and drinks. Open windows across the wall for club visitors to watch the game. Stools and cocktail tables (perhaps on two levels) would be near the windows.
Think of the view from above the backboard but close to the action.
Cutting window openings in the wall would be much less costly than taking it down, and this plan would present a unique opportunity for donors—some of whom sat on the sidelines pre-COVID.
g--

Post by g-- »

EKUfan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:47 pm Here is another possibility concerning the wall: make the present auxiliary gym a “club” with food and drinks. Open windows across the wall for club visitors to watch the game. Stools and cocktail tables (perhaps on two levels) would be near the windows.
Cutting window openings in the wall would be much less costly than taking it down, and this plan would present a unique opportunity for donors—some of whom sat on the sidelines pre-COVID.
I like this idea the best so far.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

g-- wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:58 pm
EKUfan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:47 pm Here is another possibility concerning the wall: make the present auxiliary gym a “club” with food and drinks. Open windows across the wall for club visitors to watch the game. Stools and cocktail tables (perhaps on two levels) would be near the windows.
I like this idea the best so far.
I like it too. I wonder if there would even need to be glass panes, though. Could there just be rails? Could there be club seats that people in that area could walk out to from the club area? I'm just thinking out loud.