Football coach.

The place to talk about anything Colonel Athletics but not related to a specific sport.
Maroon Forever

Re: Football coach.

Post by Maroon Forever » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:34 pm

Our AD and football coach are tone deaf.

Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:58 am

And sadly some fans on Facebook comments lol
Former and hopefully future Walt Disney World cast member

Witnessed live the play that had EKU make the #1 play on SportsCenter on Saturday November 6, 2010

I Believe in the Power of Maroon

EKU Baseball writer for OVCBall

Colonel12

Re: This isn't good if true

Post by Colonel12 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:27 am

So after reading and seeing the WKYT video it sounds like EKU Sports is dependent on the kids getting tested themselves which should not be the case. If the school can not get the tests done regularly then they should not be playing.

Witnessed live the play that had EKU make the #1 play on SportsCenter on Saturday November 6, 2010

g--

Post by g-- » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:37 am

Quotes;
“This is clearly not a good look for the Eastern Kentucky program, should this be the truth.”
“if what White said was true and is likely happening at several schools throughout the country, it almost seems impossible for college football to get through the entire season.”

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia ... yer-safety

Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:49 am

EKU05

Post by EKU05 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:16 am

I'm not one to jump to conclusions without a full investigation, but if all of this turns out to be true then I unfortunately agree we need to dump Wells. This is the kind of thing that could make us toxic in terms of reputation and repel even FBS conferences who might be interested in the future. Wells came with a couple of question marks to begin with. I was fine with hiring him, but he's not someone who I'm inclined to give as much room for "mistakes" as I normally might. He needed to be above and beyond in the "doing the right thing" department, and if we determine that all of this is true we need to send a message.

With that having been said...we need to make sure we have our facts straight first.

Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:32 pm

OVC FOOTBALL
A third EKU player in two days — redshirt junior defensive lineman Tre Turner — has reportedly decided not to play this season because concerns over COVID-19 safety in the program
@TreTurner_

https://twitter.com/RichmondRsports/sta ... 24197?s=19

Eternal Colonel

Post by Eternal Colonel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:05 pm

...bottom line, an EKU-as well as many FCS athletic programs can not
test it's players as frequently as the players would like and deserve.

The resources do not exist to do so.

What does that mean ?

Certainly more opt-outs and strong uncertainty for a 2020 season.

I'm not damning coaches or the AD or any other "suit"; they are
managing a difficult situation with very limited resources.

OVC Football 2020 ?....stay tuned.

Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:12 pm

If the school or the OVC can't provide testing at least every other week, at the latest, then don't play. The risk is not worth it and the rep will be damaged far more than just not playing.

g--

Post by g-- » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:15 pm

Third player in less than 48 hours leaves EKU football over safety concerns.

This is also interesting;

“Walt Wells appeared on the Big Blue Insider on Wednesday night."
He vehemently denied the allegations made by White."
"When you walk into our team meeting room, we have two hand sanitizers as soon as you come in and two as soon as you go out," Wells said. "There's only one way in and one way out. We are eating in the cafeteria by ourselves for the next three days, then we go into exclusive catering for the rest of campus."
"The coach also insisted that symptomatic players were not allowed to be around the rest of the team, which White also claimed in his Instagram post."
"We have protocols in place. You don't come here if you have those symptoms. We just have to continue to educate them," Wells said.”

It sounds to me like he’s blaming the players for not following protocols. Also he made a big point about hand sanitizers but did he say anything about masks? There is a video on the EKU football twitter page of an EKU football player ripping his mask off and laughing. That's not a good image to put on the EKU football twitter page if you want to convince people you think protocol is important.

https://www.richmondregister.com/sports ... 8f25d.html