Hamilton Gets a 2-Year Extension

smidge34

Re: Hamilton Gets a 2-Year Extension

Post by smidge34 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 pm

I was told by our university’s director of alumni that it is in fact state law. He said “UK/UL get around it by using their foundations to offer 6/7 plus year contracts. But, those contracts are contingent on their contract with the university. Think of a foundation like a booster club.”

EKULFan

Post by EKULFan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Anyone know the financial specs of the new deal? I know when he was hired, AW was not paid as much as McHale! :cry: With this "new bump" will he be in the same compensation "ballpark" as our previous coach?

Can't wait for this Covid-19 illness to pass...missing my weekly Colonel fix badly!

Stay safe all and hope everyone makes it back safely to Fall sports at EKU!
Last edited by EKULFan on Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Grad

Post by Colonel Grad » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:29 pm

EKU05 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:11 pm
Colonel Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:34 am
EKU05 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:16 pm

Chris Mack has a seven-year deal at Louisville, and Cal has a lifetime deal. Mack's deal automatically adds a year if and when Louisville gets a post-season ban for the Adidas scandal.

I'm thinking Scott Satterfield's initial deal was for five years, but I'm not 100% certain on that one.
None of them work for the state. They all work for Athletic Associations. That's how the power 5 schools get around state regulated hiring practices.
That's a pretty common misunderstanding of the situation:

1. UK's AA disbanded in 2012. It no longer exists.
2. U of L's does still exist currently, but they've toyed with the same idea.
3. Both Mack and Cal (and Satterfield for that matter) can be looked up on the directory of state employees (I just did it).

So it doesn't actually work quite like that at present, but even if it did there would be nothing at all stopping us from creating some nominal board to chair an Athletic Association and awarding whatever contract we wanted to as well.
My apologies.

EKU05

Post by EKU05 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:18 am

EKULFan wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:10 pm
Anyone know the financial specs of the new deal? I know when he was hired, AW was not paid as much as McHale! :cry: With this "new bump" will he be in the same compensation "ballpark" as our previous coach?

Can wait for this Covid-19 illness to pass...missing my weekly Colonel fix badly!

Stay safe all and hope everyone makes it back safely to Fall sports at EKU!
I'm all for giving AWH a raise, but I really wonder if we're able to at the moment. I actually read last week that all 21 athletics head coaches at Louisville have agreed to a 10% pay cut for the coming year to help deal with the implications of the virus.

With that having been said, I actually wonder if we're less affected by this (financially speaking) than they are. They are losing out on revenue. We're probably missing the conference check from the NCAA tournament, but quite frankly, we don't make that much money to begin with. A lot more of what we do is subsidized. I don't know all the particulars. I'm just thinking out loud.

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:24 pm

I suspect AW's pay raise has something to do with the improved game attendance the last two years. Besides being a good coach and recruiter, he also markets well. I recall two summers ago when he was encouraging people to come see the practices before their preseason games, he walked up into the stands and personally thanked people for coming (one by one) and found time to talk to each. Even if he wasn't our coach, he'd still be one of my favorite people. He knows no strangers and treats others as equals.

g--

Post by g-- » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Well said - not only a good coach but a nice guy too.

EKU05

Post by EKU05 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Rosie wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:24 pm
I suspect AW's pay raise has something to do with the improved game attendance the last two years. Besides being a good coach and recruiter, he also markets well. I recall two summers ago when he was encouraging people to come see the practices before their preseason games, he walked up into the stands and personally thanked people for coming (one by one) and found time to talk to each. Even if he wasn't our coach, he'd still be one of my favorite people. He knows no strangers and treats others as equals.
That goes back to the original question, though. Do we even know for sure that he is getting a raise or is it just an extension of his current deal. I definitely don't have the answer to that question at the moment.

g--

Post by g-- » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Here’s his old contract. Base pay is on page 5. Of interest are incentives found on pages 6, 7 and 8.

I’m not sure how long it will take for changes to his contract to be made public.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrU ... zX3A0/view

g--

Post by g-- » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:28 am

In line with EKU05’s “thinking out loud” about “if” EKU is/was able to give AWH a raise I’ll list a few things going on at other colleges and universities.

- Some colleges and universities are instituting a total hiring, building and salary freeze for the coming year because of lost funds.
- Because colleges and universities have shut down their campuses they have had to refund student fees for services like dining, housing, recreation, and so on.
- Some colleges and universities are considering delaying in-person classes until January 2021. I don’t know if this will happen at EKU but if it should it would cut deep into the budget because of lost ticket sales at athletic events.

g--

Post by g-- » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:47 pm

It isn’t just about a loss of funding. It’s being reported that epidemiology modeling suggests we may have to go into open and close waves until potentially 2022. If public health officials deem it unsafe to open universities in the fall of 2020 forcing the canceling of in-person classes I assume that would interfere with pre-season basketball practice.

If the epidemiology modeling is right and the universities shut down again in 2021 because of “open and close waves” due to the virus, would the OVC cancel the 2020/21 basketball season, or play a reduced number of games, or play on-live-video only games?

Would EKU shut down the entire Athletic Department for the 2020/21 academic year to save money (and lives)? I don’t think that’s likely, but you never know – a year ago I never would have believed I’d be sitting at home for three months or more unable to go anywhere but the super market because everything else is shut down.