Devontae Blanton

g--

Devontae Blanton

Post by g-- »

3/31/2020 - 2020 SG Devontae Blanton (6-4, -, 2★) committed to Eastern Kentucky.

This really surprised me (SG) because we only have 3 forwards on the team and now there is only one scholarship left.
Last edited by g-- on Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
g--

Re: Devontae Blanton

Post by g-- »

Some websites say Devontae Blanton is a 6-5, 210-pound Small Forward. One website lists him at 6-6.
Rosie

Post by Rosie »

G, I think we have two scholarships left after Devontae Blanton. Had four disappear: Taylor, Hicks, Lachlan, Robinson. Now commitments from Wendell Green and Devontae Blanton, leaving two. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. I believe Robb's counts for next year since he sits out.
Last edited by Rosie on Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g--

Post by g-- »

My understanding is Cooper Robb will have a scholarship as a transfer.
Last edited by g-- on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosie

Post by Rosie »

g-- wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:09 pm You forgot Cooper Robb. That leaves one scholarship.
Doesn't that count for next year?
g--

Post by g-- »

But when Hicks sat out a year after transferring he used up one of the 13 scholarships. Has the rule changed?
Rosie

Post by Rosie »

Wasn't aware that the Hicks year off counted that year. I'm certainly not an expert.
g--

Post by g-- »

I’m not an expert either so I just now tried to look up the transfer rule and found this; the NCAA Division I Council may approve a proposal in April that will allow first-time transfers starting in the 2020 academic year to no longer have to sit out their first season at their new school.

I assume if this new rule passes then Cooper Robb would be eligible to play this year.

This is where we need smidge - he knows about this kind of stuff.
smidge34

Post by smidge34 »

EKU05 keeps up with the latest rules better than I but it does sound like the days of sitting out a year upon undergraduate transfer are all but over.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

There was definitely a lot of talk about this, and there was even mention of "fast tracking" the proposal. With that being said, I can't find anything that says for sure that this officially went through or will be in effect for the coming academic year. So...???

I have mixed feelings about this. I keep envisioning a situation in which we sign an under-recruited talent (like Nick Mayo, or even Jomaru Brown) and the Power 5 basically scout us like the minor leagues. Our best players help us for a year or two, but for the rest of their basketball lives they're never identified as being "from EKU." That's the argument that this rule hurts mid-majors.

On the other hand, it's a two way street. It will also be easier for a legitimately talented player who go stuck behind a couple of superstars to transfer out to a program like ours. A mid-major coach who figures out how to work that system could use it really effectively. It would be almost like bringing in a JuCo kid, except that JuCo kid has already played high-level D1 basketball.

We'll see. :)