OVC Basketball – NEXT YEAR!

g--

OVC Basketball – NEXT YEAR!

Post by g-- »

To echo what colonelblitz posted in another thread – I’ll miss these seniors! After what we lost last year "player wise" and to win the Division this year plus win 2 playoff games in the CIT is an admirable accomplishment for Stutz, Walden, Knipp, Muff and Stenzel. Next year will again be a rebuilding year but EKU has shown they belong at or near the top of the OVC.

Which teams will challenge EKU for the OVC championship next year? This thread is a small look at the OVC in 2015/2016. A much clearer picture will emerge after the spring recruiting period but here is what we know now.
Last edited by g-- on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g--

Re: OVC Basketball – NEXT YEAR!

Post by g-- »

NEXT YEAR in the EAST

BELMONT - will lose 3; Chamberlain, Mobley and Turner (Chamberlain is the only important player lost). Important players returning are Barnette (3-star), Bradds (3-star), Bradshaw (3-star), Egekkeze (3-star), Mercer (3-star) and Smith (all but one was a sophomore or freshman this year plus they have a 6th 3-star recruit coming in next year - Benkert ). Belmont will be much improved!! They could be the best team in the OVC next year.

EKU – will lose 6; Stenzel, Walden, Knipp, Richardson, Muff and Stutz. Important players returning are McGlone, Babb-Harrison, Jackson and Powell. Top 3 players from this year will be gone but two D1 transfers will be eligible to play - Hawkins (3-star) and Bluford. EKU will be in a rebuilding year next year and will have a new coach next year (I’ll do a more in depth analysis for EKU after the spring recruiting period).

MOREHEAD - will lose 7; Reader, Warner, Mashour, Willis, Storey, Courtney and Donley. Important players returning are Gaines, Arrington, Collins (3-star) and Dicent. Will add 3-star recruit DeJuan Marrero a JUCO who transferred from DePaul, Malik Maitland a 3-star freshman recruit and Xavier Moon (in Alabama he was the class 4A Player of the Year).

TSU - will lose 6; Harris, Azuonwu, Simeon, lee, Crockett and Tucker. Important players returning are Roper, Richards, Mekowulu, Reddick, and Loman. Two D1 transfers will be eligible to play, Deshields (Montana) and McCall (Niagara). TSU is recruiting well and will be much improved next year, (at least 2 of those new recruits are 3-star players).

JSU - will lose 6; Felder, Hunter, Rackley, Mitchem, Smith and Moore. Important players returning are Townser, Watson and Drumwright (3-star). Their top 3 players from this year will be gone but they will have the 4-star recruit eligible to play - Cameron Biedscheid from University of Missouri. JSU should be better next year.

TTU - will lose 6; Caldwell, McKay, Bougher, Haynes (3-star), Jackson and Johnson. Important players returning are Thomas (3-star), Rowe, Moore (3-star) and Jugovic.
Last edited by g-- on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 22 times in total.
g--

Post by g-- »

NEXT YEAR in the WEST

MURRAY – will lose 5; Payne, Fairell, Rambo, Williams, and Sapp. Important players returning are Langston, Seymour (3-star), Moss (3-star) and Flomo (3-star). One D1 transfer will be eligible to play, McGhee a starter from Chattanooga. Also, they have recruited a 3 star player - Croaker. Murray’s biggest challenge will be finding replacements under the basket for Fairell and Williams but Murray always recruits well and they will again be the top team in the West.

UT-Martin - will lose 6; Taylor, Smith, Joseph, Hitchman, Davis, and Newell. Important players returning are Anderson (3-star), Rowe, Durham (3-star), Lee (3-star), Howard (3-star) and Martinez. They lose 2 starters but have a 7’-2” freshman player who took a red-shirt year and I saw somewhere Myles Taylor may be back next year (medical red shirt?). UT-Martin should be the second best team in the West.

APSU - will lose 6; Purvis, Freeman, Williams, Smith, Mboup and Dyson. Important players returning are Diop, Robinson, Horton and Davis (JUCO All-American). APSU will get a couple of their best players back and have added JUCO All-American guard John Murry.

EIU - will lose 8; Smith, Viser, K. Anderson, Chatman, M. Piotrowski, Verhagen, Olivier and Piper. Important players returning are Johnson, T. Anderson, L. Piotrowski (3-star). They also have an incoming 3-star JUCO recruit (Riley).

SEMO - will lose 7; Langford, Johnson, Woods, Thompson, Gray, Bradley and Adeoye. Important players returning are Jones, Cleveland, Wallace. SEMO will have a new coach next year. My guess is SEMO will not make it to the OVC tournament next year.

SIUE – will lose 6; Moore, Davis, Wiltz, Jackson, Nunn and Messer. Important players returning are Stewart, Simmons, Carr and Newton. SIUE will have a new coach next year. My guess is SIUE will not make it to the OVC tournament next year.
Last edited by g-- on Wed May 06, 2015 10:38 am, edited 23 times in total.
g--

Post by g-- »

Some OVC schools mentioned here;

Midseason transfer list for 2014-15

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-go ... -transfers
g--

Post by g-- »

Prohm staying at Murray for the next few years will help the OVC to continue to grow as a basketball conference. And wow what a deal - $500,000 annually, plus incentives.
smidge34

Post by smidge34 »

He could still leave anytime, but signing now and the half million $ buyout clause he agreed to was a nice gesture by our coach. He didn't have to sign right now while he's a hot commodity, so that says a lot to me.
msuowns

Post by msuowns »

In his post game interviews, he constantly talks about trying to grow the ovc. It's not msu and me me me. He talks future on post games. Go ovc, we are getting stronger.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

$500,000? That is a lot. What does that say and mean for your football coach? Or does he already make that much?
GO EKU!!!
msuowns

Post by msuowns »

:roll:
Marvin wrote:$500,000? That is a lot. What does that say and mean for your football coach? Or does he already make that much?
:roll:
msuowns

Post by msuowns »

Ovc won't have Cam Payne. Just named the lute olson, national player of the year. Could be a lottery pick