Urbana University (Exhibition Game)

smidge34

Re: Urbana University (Exhibition Game)

Post by smidge34 »

g-- wrote:APSU had its first game – they didn’t do well at all - as I had thought they will likely end up at the bottom of the OVC.
Wow, you deduce that from Peay's first exhibition game of the season?
g--

Post by g-- »

Well…..that plus a lack of new talent at APSU plus the increased talent at UT-Martin and the greater depth and experience at SIUE and EIU. However, APSU should have no trouble beating TSU – something for them to look forward to.

So…..where do you put APSU in your pre-season prognostications?
smidge34

Post by smidge34 »

I really have no idea, but I know they played a team on their 4th contest, averaging better than 90 per game. My point is not to put too much emphasis on their first exhibition game. I will say I will have to see it to believe it, as far as the uptick in talent being touted by those close to their program. I mean, I don't really put a lot of stock in rating players before they have ever suited up for a D-1 contest, so that's not what I'm saying, it's just that several of them are high on the new talent down there, but I'll have to see it.
GraysonEaglefan

Post by GraysonEaglefan »

Reader did get hurt but he returned to the game. I hope he did not re-injure the shoulder that was hurt all of last year and really hurt his play. He dove to the floor for a loose ball and that's how he hurt it. I'm hoping he just banged it up a little and that he is fine. Right now I don't know for sure but his return to the game was a good sign.

As for you guys, someone mentioned the closed scrimmage you had with Marshall. I would be interested to know how that went. We play them in a regular game in a few weeks. I don't know much about them as almost all of them are new. What did they have? How did you guys do? Who won the game? Any insight would be appreciated.
g--

Post by g-- »

In answer to two questions about the closed scrimmage- because it was closed I don’t think anyone has any information.

I have a lot of questions about the game tonight;

– Jackson was in street clothes – is this because he is injured or doing a red-shirt year?

- Stenzel did not show up – is he still on the team?

- Was the game on OVC-video?

- Do you like this super-fast style of play?

- Do we have the athletic players needed to win with this style against a Murray or a Morehead?

- Are the behind the back passes and the behind the back dribbling just part of this style?

- Why would a coach change his style so dramatically in his 9th year?

- Is Urbana really that good or did we just make them look good by playing bad defense?

- Who was your favorite new player? – mine was Richardson.

Any answers?
Colonel Grad

Post by Colonel Grad »

g-- wrote:In answer to two questions about the closed scrimmage- because it was closed I don’t think anyone has any information.

I have a lot of questions about the game tonight;

– Jackson was in street clothes – is this because he is injured or doing a red-shirt year?

- Stenzel did not show up – is he still on the team?

- Was the game on OVC-video?

- Do you like this super-fast style of play?

- Do we have the athletic players needed to win with this style against a Murray or a Morehead?

- Are the behind the back passes and the behind the back dribbling just part of this style?

- Why would a coach change his style so dramatically in his 9th year?

- Is Urbana really that good or did we just make them look good by playing bad defense?

- Who was your favorite new player? – mine was Richardson.

Any answers?

Just my opinions here on what I saw.
No info on Jackson and Stenzel. Stenzel put of the best numbers of his career in Australia, so I was really hoping this would be a break out year for him.

The game was not on OVC Digital Network. My guess is they don't want future regular season opponents to be able to watch their exhibition game.

I love the faster style of play. I don't think what it looks like now will be what it looks like in January. Since it's new, it will take a while to work out the kinks. I also think the jury is out on if we have the athletes to do it, but I think yes.

I give major kudos to Neubauer for changing styles over the last couple of years. I think that's a sign of a really good coach. First, I watched one of EKU's other coaches closely for several years and their refusal to change and adapt to a different breed of student-athlete has equaled poor seasons. Second, I think it is important to play a style that kids enjoy playing. The more fun they have the better they will be. Third, I think it is more appealing to fans. There for a while there were far too many 58-54 games for Colonel basketball. It was not fun to watch.

Not sure what to make of Urbana, but I think we made them look good. They certainly play hard.

My favorite newcomer was Richardson too. He showed a lot of athleticisim and the ability to get to the rim.
Colonel Grad

Post by Colonel Grad »

g-- wrote:This Friday!!

This is an NCAA Division II team. Urbana was picked to finish 12th (last) in the Mountain East Conference.

I feel a little sorry for them. They’ll be walking into a windmill here at EKU. I would guess we end up with over 100 points.

What are you guys most interested in learning about this new EKU team from this game?

For me; I’m curious to see who the best of the new players will be.
You almost had it g. Much closer to 100 points than I expected. Good call.
Classof80

Post by Classof80 »

I think way too much to consider results in an "exhibition" game, eku vs Urbana. It is not about number of points scored and by whom, or margin of victory. That just does not matter, taking a look at all players, schemes, etc. is way more important than results that do not matter. I remember a few years back an average Div 3 school beat Syracuse in an exhibition game, and Syracuse went on to NCAA tourney that year.

It will be interesting to see who and how the new players do, how the coaching philosophy may have changed, and how players perform in that philosophy.
RacerJoeD

Post by RacerJoeD »

please God try running uptempo with the Racers... :D