Status Quo

martinhall1966

Status Quo

Post by martinhall1966 »

As a 1970 grad I saw our golden years with Roy. I have been a season ticket/box holder since. When Roy left the building, our vision left with him. I hate being in Western's dust, but that is where the old guard left us. I cannot blame Roan or any of our current leadership for our current state. We lose players to the portal because of lack of stature, pure and simple. We are an average NCS team. I will show up and yell like hell for our men, but I have no illusions that we are anywhere near where we could have been. Go Colonels!
EKU05

Re: Status Quo

Post by EKU05 »

No doubt about peers leaving us in the dust.

Do you really think it's all about Kidd retiring, though? He didn't make the playoffs the last 5-6 seasons, and you have to go even further back to get a playoff win. His last title game appearance came two decades before he hung up the whistle.

I'm not blaming him for that. I just think that plenty of factors were already affecting the program long before the change in coaching (particularly the Funderburk Administration, but probably some other things too).

I thought Danny Hope actually reinvigorated the program a little, and I often wonder what would have happened if he hadn't gotten the opportunity to jump straight to the Big 10.

Does anybody have numbers? Are we losing more players to the portal than anyone else. I think nearly every school in the country feels that way right now. I mean, mighty UK basketball has like three total players on their team at the moment. These are just challenging new times.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

Western Staying in C USA according to reports out of Bowlimg Green
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Michigan just won a national title and only lost 1 significant player to the portal after the coach left. They had 3 players of significance to the portal just this week. My point being no team, regardless of success, is immune to losing players.
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion