An Overall Old Coot's View of EKU Fotball

martinhall1966

An Overall Old Coot's View of EKU Fotball

Post by martinhall1966 »

I graduated in 1970. I am grateful to have seen "The Glory Years" that have faded into history. I savored every moment. I helped Roy retrieve his few errant bullet practice passes during weekly practice drills ! I was a diehard Colonel and I remain so. I anxiously await the inevitable call for " Bruno Wasertile" at every Homecoming. I remember Mums, Beanies, Specks and Dirty Ernies! Our history is rich and storied, but it is over. We have been slow to advance our program! I worked hard to afford the minimally comfortable box seats at RKS! Our coaches return to high schools ????? My overall view is that our complacency has created a vacuum that will stalemate us for decades. I will be there hell or high water, but I think our program has deserved better! This is the end of my bitch session! DC
DannyHopesGhost

Re: An Overall Old Coot's View of EKU Fotball

Post by DannyHopesGhost »

Some very good points. But we also have to consider some other points:

1) there was a movement among the administration to prioritize basketball for several years. I STRONGLY support AW and what he’s building here. But I believe they over-corrected and neglected the program.

2) many faculty members continue to complain that football is given too much priority. There’s certainly an argument for ensuring you have quality in the education. That’s a no brainer argument. However, football is traditionally a front porch program at universities like ours, and for whatever reason, there are people who can not accept or recognize that football brings people’s interest and gets them to the doorstep. It’s up to faculty and administrators to take it from there. The idea of an Osteopathic school is HUGE and I’m behind it 100% for this very reason.

3) regarding the coach who left to go to high school, I know who you mean. It was overdue in my opinion because I firmly believe he should NOT have been hired to begin with due to his last history. The same goes for a certain D coach who is still here. Is what it is, but Walt and company now have to start showing true strides in what they have tried to build. Currently he’s at the same or nearly equal record to Elder. And we ran him off.

Definitely a frustrating situation because I feel exactly like you did. I saw those glory years and just BARELY missed being on the team for the national championship runs. Not quite old enough to go to college by just a couple years at that time.
martinhall1966

Post by martinhall1966 »

I appreciate your comments and good insight. I know I restated the obvious, but I get frustrated with my OU, Miami, BG friends who do not give a damn about their MAC schools football programs, but are avid Buckeye fans. They don't care when I remind them our Colonels beat Miami and BG on their home fields. Maroon Nation is a good forum for we old Colonel Football diehards to ramble on ......! Thanks for your support!
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

DannyHopesGhost wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:17 am Currently he’s at the same or nearly equal record to Elder. And we ran him off.
You are correct. Wells has the benefit of a shortened 2020 season to help him. Wells is 22-21 after 4 years and Elder was 21-24. Both year 2 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons.
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
neugie

Post by neugie »

i cant believe we allow that dc to hang around thats pitiful rinky dink program
RollKerns

Post by RollKerns »

This is just a random thought I’m having and I only skimmed some of the post but just to see what the university priorities are and what we think as fans.

I am like a huge fan of AW Hamilton. Feel like he’s building something special. I was of course super upset about this loss last week but felt like it was just one of those basketball things. It’s like nothing but excitement. But in all reality I’m not sure we’ve had a ton of success. Never even made the tournament.

Walt Wells on the other hand won the conference, made the playoff, re-energized ticket sales. And I absolutely firmly believe he should be on the hot seat. I feel like he’s been unwilling to make necessary changes. It’s just like the overall vibes around the football program are not good right now.

Which as sports fans we can feel and tell momentum and know that basketball and football have been a little different. It’s just something to mention to see what everybody else’s thoughts are.
DannyHopesGhost

Post by DannyHopesGhost »

RollKerns wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:59 pm This is just a random thought I’m having and I only skimmed some of the post but just to see what the university priorities are and what we think as fans.

I am like a huge fan of AW Hamilton. Feel like he’s building something special. I was of course super upset about this loss last week but felt like it was just one of those basketball things. It’s like nothing but excitement. But in all reality I’m not sure we’ve had a ton of success. Never even made the tournament.

Walt Wells on the other hand won the conference, made the playoff, re-energized ticket sales. And I absolutely firmly believe he should be on the hot seat. I feel like he’s been unwilling to make necessary changes. It’s just like the overall vibes around the football program are not good right now.

Which as sports fans we can feel and tell momentum and know that basketball and football have been a little different. It’s just something to mention to see what everybody else’s thoughts are.
I was at the tourney loss. Huge crowd, tons of excitement, crowd really into every second of the game. Then I left and was like “well, they’ll get better next year”. We lose a football game, I’m upset for a couple days. It’s different. I’ve not even watched a UK game in 2-3 years. Football is just so ingrained here and one of the reasons I feel like you do, personally. I like Coach Wells, want him to succeed, but like you said, I worry about his unwillingness to make changes necessary for the improvement of the program. His seat definitely needs to be cranked from 5 on the stovetop to at least an 8. Even more so if he allows the DC to continue hanging around here. There is a bit of a pall over the staff in my opinion.
Sae

Post by Sae »

Colonel12 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 pm
DannyHopesGhost wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:17 am Currently he’s at the same or nearly equal record to Elder. And we ran him off.
You are correct. Wells has the benefit of a shortened 2020 season to help him. Wells is 22-21 after 4 years and Elder was 21-24. Both year 2 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons.
I liked Elder and I like Wells both, comparing the two is not a similar comparison, Wells has had more support, but has also had a MUCH more difficult schedule, year one included no off season and the most loaded schedule we've ever played. Not saying criticism is not warranted, but comparing W/L is not a fair fight. I agree some things need addressed, but both basketball and football need to step up, they are receiving more support than either team has ever gotten, and not seeing a ton of results.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Sae wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:12 pm
Colonel12 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 pm
I liked Elder and I like Wells both, comparing the two is not a similar comparison, Wells has had more support, but has also had a MUCH more difficult schedule, year one included no off season and the most loaded schedule we've ever played. Not saying criticism is not warranted, but comparing W/L is not a fair fight. I agree some things need addressed, but both basketball and football need to step up, they are receiving more support than either team has ever gotten, and not seeing a ton of results.
I can agree with that. Wells has had to deal with a much different transfer portal. Wells also had a great QB every year but may of wasted his talent and opportunity.
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
eku022

Post by eku022 »

Walt is benefitting from what Elder left. I don't think the cupboard was empty when Elder was removed from HC. Parker Mckinney for instance was an Elder recruit. Honestly both coaches are very comparable. I agree Walt has been given a much longer leash. With the talent on O last year, I was very disappointed in a 5-6 season. The offense hasn't been the problem, the defense can't stop a group of toddlers from running or passing on them. If EKU wants to make the jump the AD and Walt have to stop having blind loyalty towards former players. The DC has to go and should have been let go in year 3 but for whatever reason he is still around. I'm usually for the AD staying out of personnel decisions but when the problem is glaring, I think he should step in.

Side note that interview on KSR Walt did with Matt Jones ticked me off.