Vacations Over: Fire JJ Now!

Braxton

Vacations Over: Fire JJ Now!

Post by Braxton »

Time’s Up. Fire Jake Johnson and the DB coach now.

They got through the holidays employed, now it is time to be serious about football again.

Walt, it’s you or him. Because I promise you, if you keep him on, you won’t have the option to fire him after next season, you’ll be packing up with him.
- FIRE JAKE JOHNSON -
neugie

Re: Vacations Over: Fire JJ Now!

Post by neugie »

totally agree get himthe h out of there be decisive for a change
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Still no changes. CLEAN THE HOUSE
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
eku022

Post by eku022 »

Colonel12 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:03 pm Still no changes. CLEAN THE HOUSE
WOOOOOOWWWW that's unbelievable... The D has been terrible the last couple of years... A change needs to be made but seems Walt is a true ride or die friend lol..

Has the AD settled for mediocrity???
Braxton

Post by Braxton »

It is absolutely baffling to me.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I don’t chalk it up to loyalty either. It is incompetence. Incompetence from Walt for not immediately making changes and clearly, if this is allowed, from Roan who is clearly terrified to step on Walt’s toes.
- FIRE JAKE JOHNSON -
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Braxton wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:26 am It is absolutely baffling to me.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I don’t chalk it up to loyalty either. It is incompetence. Incompetence from Walt for not immediately making changes and clearly, if this is allowed, from Roan who is clearly terrified to step on Walt’s toes.
It's hard for me to envision Roan being afraid of Walt, but I could be wrong. ADs have different philosophies in terms of how much to intervene in coach's staff decisions.

But our defense sucks. There's no nice way to spin it.
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

I know very little about contracts at EKU and every dollar counts for an FCS team. Does EKU have the money for a payout (if there are years still left on contract) and to go after a bigger fish for assistants right now?
DannyHopesGhost

Post by DannyHopesGhost »

Doubtful. Walt is the second-highest paid HC at EKU, making $325k per year through 2026 (AW Hamilton makes $350k) with a $25k retention bonus each July 1 that he is still the HC. The total football budget was approximately $4.2 million. A buyout of Walt would be approximately $975k, possibly more depending on how that yearly bonus is accounted for in a buyout. So it would take approximately 1/4th of the total football budget to buy Walt out. Not sure I see Roan and them doing that.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

DannyHopesGhost wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:09 pm Doubtful. Walt is the second-highest paid HC at EKU, making $325k per year through 2026 (AW Hamilton makes $350k) with a $25k retention bonus each July 1 that he is still the HC. The total football budget was approximately $4.2 million. A buyout of Walt would be approximately $975k, possibly more depending on how that yearly bonus is accounted for in a buyout. So it would take approximately 1/4th of the total football budget to buy Walt out. Not sure I see Roan and them doing that.
I think he was asking about assistants rather than Walt himself.

I don't know for sure, but typically assistants don't have multi-year guaranteed deals. Sometimes really big powers will sign some of them up for two years at a time, but even that is kind of spotty as I understand it. I can't imagine a "buyout" is the only reason Jake is still on the staff. I read this as an AD just letting his coach make his own bed.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Or both AD and Walt don't have the guts to do the right thing until the program crumbles
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion