2023 Austin Peay

Newengland29

Re: 2023 Austin Peay

Post by Newengland29 »

I thought the play calling in the first half was suspect and then with I think 7 minutes to go in the game EKU scores 3 touchdowns so tell me why they were not doing this the first half plus in overtime I thought the play calling wasn’t very good
Eternal Colonel

Post by Eternal Colonel »

...I have no idea how things will improve.

Frankly, I think we played about as well as we could versus the team we were playing.

This isn't 1988/'98/'08 or '18.

I was noticing during the game the Pee lineman were as large and nasty as ours were. During
earlier eras, only Middle, Marshall, or Western could occasionally match our guys in the regular
season.

I've felt Pee-with their growth locally (MSA over 300K) would become a big problem when older
grads there started contributing to the football program.

They've beaten us twice in a row; I don't recall that happening during my 40 years of attending
and following EKU football.

Times have changed...
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

I've always heard it was a homecoming loss to Peay that cost Elder his job. I guess Wells is luck this wasn't homecoming.
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

This has been such a strange season.

We are legitimately three plays away from being unbeaten against FCS competition.

We are also legitimately three plays away from being 1-8 on the season.

Sports fans love to play the "what if" game in general, but this season was made for those kinds of discussions.
bigchill64

Post by bigchill64 »

Agree it has been a really weird season, the vibe has been off. We all had such High Hopes with PM going back but it seems like we may have lost more pieces from last season than we thought. Walked away from the UC loss in disbelief then after the UK game was so hyped for the FCS season was thinking we had the ability to run through it undefeated. This upcoming week on the road is going to be another tough test too on the Road at UCA. Hopefully we can finish this season on a (2) game winning streak and not go into 2024 with a losing season.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

USC fired their DC after giving up 56 points to a really good Washington team.

What's holding us back from making changes?
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
Braxton

Post by Braxton »

Colonel12 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:00 pm USC fired their DC after giving up 56 points to a really good Washington team.

Because EKU is stuck in the past, and runs a high school organization where politics still matter. We believe anyone who is an Eastern guy deserves a job, especially if they played for Coach Kidd, ironically, by doing so, we’re doing our very best week by week and year by year to tear down everything that Coach Kidd built.

Walt Wells was hired because he was one of Roy Kid’s guys, not because of his football knowledge. Mark Elder was fired because he was not a Roy Kidd guy, although a far superior football coach.

Jake Johnson is employed by EKU because he’s an alum, and his wife is/was employed by the school, not for any other reason than that.

How do you tell you have a poor staff? Not a single one has gone on to a bigger or better job. Compare that to Elder - there were only 3 original coaches remaining his last game - with all moving up divisions, or even leagues.

If Jake Johnson is not fired at the end of this season, you can stick a fork in this football program.
- FIRE JAKE JOHNSON -
dmr55

Post by dmr55 »

Braxton wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:51 pm
Colonel12 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:00 pm USC fired their DC after giving up 56 points to a really good Washington team.

Because EKU is stuck in the past, and runs a high school organization where politics still matter. We believe anyone who is an Eastern guy deserves a job, especially if they played for Coach Kidd, ironically, by doing so, we’re doing our very best week by week and year by year to tear down everything that Coach Kidd built.

Walt Wells was hired because he was one of Roy Kid’s guys, not because of his football knowledge. Mark Elder was fired because he was not a Roy Kidd guy, although a far superior football coach.

Jake Johnson is employed by EKU because he’s an alum, and his wife is/was employed by the school, not for any other reason than that.

How do you tell you have a poor staff? Not a single one has gone on to a bigger or better job. Compare that to Elder - there were only 3 original coaches remaining his last game - with all moving up divisions, or even leagues.

If Jake Johnson is not fired at the end of this season, you can stick a fork in this football program.
Walt Wells never played at EKU
dmr55

Post by dmr55 »

Elder had a 21-24 record as head coach
Braxton

Post by Braxton »

dmr55 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:30 pm

Walt Wells never played at EKU
I never stated Walt Wells played for EKU. I said he was one of Roy Kidd’s guys. Jake Johnson is the one that’s holding us back the most - an EKU alum.
- FIRE JAKE JOHNSON -