Fun in the ASUN

dmr55

Re: Fun in the ASUN

Post by dmr55 »

EKU05 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:02 pm
Colonel Since '65 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:54 pm Anyone else watch the conference with McFadden, Diaz, Wells, and Roan? Interesting. There was an emphasis on them all being on the same page. Overall it was very encouraging, although there was no new news as far as I could see.
I meant to check in on that but forgot it was on/had to put my son to bed. It seems like these three are going to ride or die with each other for sure.
There was one comment that was interesting that they meet with the ASUN commissioner last January
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

There was one comment that was interesting that they meet with the ASUN commissioner last January
The more I hear I'm starting to wonder a few things.

1. Did this have anything to do with Benson leaving? I'm not saying it did. He'd interviewed for other jobs and seemed to have one foot out the door for a while. But it does seem like these three were on this pretty quickly after he was gone.

2. To what degree is this move just based on sticking it to the OVC for a few moves we didn't like (passing on NKU, UNA, etc.)? I assume one of the factors was that we felt like the conference's priorities were different from our own, but that alone is not a good enough reason to make a move. Hopefully we saw more in the ASUN's plan than just a plan to not be in the OVC anymore.

I had long advocated that while I want to go FBS, I didn't see any value in leaving the OVC until that could happen. I had an initially negative reaction to the ASUN rumors. Overall, I've been persuaded that this move makes sense, and I think these guys know what they're doing. You just have to wonder sometimes, though.

But I guess if we'd been mulling it over for that long it indicates this wasn't as sudden as it felt and that they really did the research.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Lion1983 is posting on the SUN board that UTM is in play. Over there I explained why that's a terrible idea, but I don't have to repeat myself here. That would signal to me that the ASUN is a little too desperate to bring in that 6th football member whoever it might be. I think there's potential here, but we need to stick the landing, and bringing in Martin is falling flat on your face.

I'm not even hesitant about insulting them on here because I don't know that I've every actually seen a UTM fan post online.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

EKU05 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:03 am

1. Did this have anything to do with Benson leaving? I'm not saying it did. He'd interviewed for other jobs and seemed to have one foot out the door for a while. But it does seem like these three were on this pretty quickly after he was gone.

2. To what degree is this move just based on sticking it to the OVC for a few moves we didn't like (passing on NKU, UNA, etc.)? I assume one of the factors was that we felt like the conference's priorities were different from our own, but that alone is not a good enough reason to make a move. Hopefully we saw more in the ASUN's plan than just a plan to not be in the OVC anymore.

I had long advocated that while I want to go FBS, I didn't see any value in leaving the OVC until that could happen. I had an initially negative reaction to the ASUN rumors. Overall, I've been persuaded that this move makes sense, and I think these guys know what they're doing. You just have to wonder sometimes, though.

But I guess if we'd been mulling it over for that long it indicates this wasn't as sudden as it felt and that they really did the research.
Hopefully, we will get some answers later this afternoon as the AD is scheduled to do a Q & A session. I can’t imagine that this move is predicated on simply sticking it to the OVC. If so, that’s level 5 crazy 😂. I believe (hope) that it was more due to the changing landscape of the NCAA. However, I also think that what appears to me to be an overly strained relationship between the OVC and EKU helped to expedite the move. Once we played that 5th game in the fall (which I believe was the right thing to do) it was a wrap for us in the OVC. I’d also guess that it’s possible that we may even have been pushed toward the door at that point. At any rate, in my opinion, the OVC is (and has been for some time) a dying conference as it relates to football (and baseball too). The ASUN seems to be more 21st century while the OVC appears to be stuck around 1989. The transition will be a little clunky (especially this first year) but here’s to a brighter future for all of our programs. It’s gonna be a bright, bright ASUN shinny day!
Sae

Post by Sae »

GoldenBear wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:22 am
EKU05 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:03 am

Hopefully, we will get some answers later this afternoon as the AD is scheduled to do a Q & A session. I can’t imagine that this move is predicated on simply sticking it to the OVC. If so, that’s level 5 crazy 😂. I believe (hope) that it was more due to the changing landscape of the NCAA. However, I also think that what appears to me to be an overly strained relationship between the OVC and EKU helped to expedite the move. Once we played that 5th game in the fall (which I believe was the right thing to do) it was a wrap for us in the OVC. I’d also guess that it’s possible that we may even have been pushed toward the door at that point. At any rate, in my opinion, the OVC is (and has been for some time) a dying conference as it relates to football (and baseball too). The ASUN seems to be more 21st century while the OVC appears to be stuck around 1989. The transition will be a little clunky (especially this first year) but here’s to a brighter future for all of our programs. It’s gonna be a bright, bright ASUN shinny day!
the Online Q &a is tomorrow right, I think its Wednesday night.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

dljordaneku

Post by dljordaneku »

There are two different events. The one tonight can be viewed on Youtube.

YouTube link

The one Wednesday night referenced earlier is for students.

dj
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

There is a recruiting update tomorrow afternoon with Coach Wells.

https://youtu.be/T-LHdjZ93jk

First time I have seen us have a live update, let alone one with a sponsor.
bigchill64

Post by bigchill64 »

Honestly this move from a FB standpoint makes no sense to me. All other sports I imagine from a Conference standpoint do to gain more visibility. The ASun is not creating a power FCS conference to compete with the MVC or Big Sky. Feels like the are trying cobble something together in football to maybe go to FBS in 5 years. 5 to 6 conference games in ASUN in some sort means 5 to 7 out of conference games. I imagine 3 to 4 FBS games with a couple hopefully larger FCS games at RKS in the mix. The FB facilities we have rival or better any ones in the top 20 FCS schools and I would argue Sunbelt/MAC/MWC we are right there as well.
I am rambling but this move IMDO does not help the FB cause.
As always though I bleed maroon and regardless “It’s A Matter if Pride”.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

I thought Roan's discussion on this was good on the You Tube discussion last night before the basketball game..

Goal on teams on the football front is a max of 8 like type (regional public) schools for football.
7 conference games plus a FBS game (or two). Still want games with regional rivals.

Could have years with 7 home games.