Rumor mill starting early...

DannyHopesGhost

Re: Rumor mill starting early...

Post by DannyHopesGhost »

It’s a 60 day negotiation period. We will see what shakes. For football, kind of a question mark. They don’t sponsor football as a conference. Does this signal their intent to do that and make a jump towards FBS? Otherwise we are just moving from a conference we helped found to another conference at the same level. Definitely would see increased travel costs. As an FCS school, without bowl money, that could be a killer.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

DannyHopesGhost wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:44 pm It’s a 60 day negotiation period. We will see what shakes. For football, kind of a question mark. They don’t sponsor football as a conference. Does this signal their intent to do that and make a jump towards FBS? Otherwise we are just moving from a conference we helped found to another conference at the same level. Definitely would see increased travel costs. As an FCS school, without bowl money, that could be a killer.
I guess that I would be hoping the ASUN wants to be a FBS Conference that would include Liberty. I saw a few other mentioned schools that (too me) would have similar intentions. Just have to wait and see. It does kinda signal to me that just maybe our OVC days ended once we played that 5th game this season 😂. Anyhow, looks like it’s going to be an interesting off-season!!
Sae

Post by Sae »

I'm putting faith in the admin on this, I'd like to think we are not planning without football included in the decision, also Jacksonville and Central Arkansas being involved, I know they are going nowhere without football. I would also bet our home and home deal with Central Ark has played a role in this somehow. I'm going to have faith they have this all worked out.
Last edited by Sae on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EKULFan

Post by EKULFan »

Posted this on the Hoops Board by accident...thought I bring it here as well:

Question to ponder...Why would we ONLY move baseball to a new conference? That seems somewhat odd to me!

Adding Jax St., Cent Arkansas and EKU...all with football programs, then absorbing/poaching The Big South for football seems much more likely for the ASun!

I had previously heard The Big South was ripe for the picking... in football!!!

That would put the ASun near the 20 schools they have mentioned previously for the "Mega Conference"

Trips to Atlanta, N Florida, Louisville, Alabama would be far better than trips to Morehead, SEMO, Tn Martin, SIUE
EIU and even Murray!

Currently, I'm in a wait and see mode, as to what schools are involved before I judge the move! However, I do like the possibility of moving away from the aforementioned schools/locations!

I would truly hate leaving Murray State behind...I love the rivalry in every sport and I think it has been good for both schools! But for everyone else in the OVC...I would miss nothing!
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Sae wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:13 pm I'm putting faith in the admin on this, I'd like to think we are not planning with football included in the decision, also Jacksonville and Central Arkansas being involved, I know they are going nowhere without football. I would also bet our home and home deal with Central Ark has played a role in this somehow. I'm going to have faith they have this all worked out.
I’m with you and have complete confidence in our administration on this one. I also agree about the possibility of leaving football out of the equation and following the same path that Liberty U has taken with the ASUN. That would (could) work for UCA and JSU add also 🤷🏽‍♂️. On the bright side, We would get paid more for our $$$ games as a FBS team than as a FCS team.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

This is not baseball only. Not from what I can find.

Scholarship football schools in ASUN play in the Big South.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

EKULFan wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:42 pm Posted this on the Hoops Board by accident...thought I bring it here as well:

Question to ponder...Why would we ONLY move baseball to a new conference? That seems somewhat odd to me!

Adding Jax St., Cent Arkansas and EKU...all with football programs, then absorbing/poaching The Big South for football seems much more likely for the ASun!

I had previously heard The Big South was ripe for the picking... in football!!!

That would put the ASun near the 20 schools they have mentioned previously for the "Mega Conference"

Trips to Atlanta, N Florida, Louisville, Alabama would be far better than trips to Morehead, SEMO, Tn Martin, SIUE
EIU and even Murray!

Currently, I'm in a wait and see mode, as to what schools are involved before I judge the move! However, I do like the possibility of moving away from the aforementioned schools/locations!

I would truly hate leaving Murray State behind...I love the rivalry in every sport and I think it has been good for both schools! But for everyone else in the OVC...I would miss nothing!
Definitely a better move for basketball, baseball, etc. in my opinion. The more I think about it, it kinda makes sense to follow the same path Liberty U has taken in football and play as an FBS independent while the other sports compete in the ASUN. Just have to wait and see, but I am hopeful!!
EKULFan

Post by EKULFan »

Steve 82 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:46 pm This is not baseball only. Not from what I can find.

Scholarship football schools in ASUN play in the Big South.
I based that statement(Baseball Only) on the original Twitter posting I read...since then it has morphed to all sports!
Sae

Post by Sae »

Sae wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:13 pm I'm putting faith in the admin on this, I'd like to think we are not planning without football included in the decision, also Jacksonville and Central Arkansas being involved, I know they are going nowhere without football. I would also bet our home and home deal with Central Ark has played a role in this somehow. I'm going to have faith they have this all worked out.
Sorry, I left out a very important word in my post, without, instead of with. What I meant was hopefully we are not looking for a move WITHOUT including football. I dont think us, Jacksonville and Cent Ark are gonna do anything without football protected.