Rumor mill starting early...

ColonelFan22

Re: Rumor mill starting early...

Post by ColonelFan22 »

I have no proof either way. I know what’s been hinted at on message boards, including all their $$$ and on the other hand, that their football attendance was inflated and was not what they reported. Yes, they are building, but we have been building and if their proposed new arena is a shiny version of ours, so what? You say their team is “better ” than ours, don’t you mean they have a better record? Maybe they are better, but maybe not, I don’t have time to compare mutual games, IF there are any. Just because folks on the CUSA board say they are next up does not mean they are the better choice.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

ColonelFan22 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:19 pm I have no proof either way. I know what’s been hinted at on message boards, including all their $$$ and on the other hand, that their football attendance was inflated and was not what they reported. Yes, they are building, but we have been building and if their proposed new arena is a shiny version of ours, so what? You say their team is “better ” than ours, don’t you mean they have a better record? Maybe they are better, but maybe not, I don’t have time to compare mutual games, IF there are any. Just because folks on the CUSA board say they are next up does not mean they are the better choice.
-Everyone's attendance is inflated. Do you think we've actually had 12-13K in that stadium the past few years? It's been good, but not that good.

-I'm just saying that their facilities situation is better than ours. They are much, much better on the football side where we still have a long way to go in terms of fundraising. If you don't think that's a big deal that's fine, but I'd say it matters at least a little.

-They have a better record playing in a better conference...while still transitioning from D2. We have every reason in the world to have a better overall resume than they do, but we don't.

I'm not going by what they are saying on any other board. I'm just objectively comparing the things that tend to matter in these situations. They really lean in Tarleton's favor in my opinion. I'd be overjoyed to be wrong.

I'll ask the same question again. Can you name any tangible way in which we are the superior choice? Is there any way at all in which we are demonstrably better for C-USA?
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

I saw someone on a board give the best example of all of this.

Tarleton is willing to update and fix things before realignment occurs, eku will update and fix things after it occurs.

Tarleton has a war chest of money and is spending it on athletics.

Eku has a better campus, larger amount of alumni that live in ky and cusa cities, way bigger population within 40 miles of campus.

Personally I’d prefer the Mac and I hope we offer something outrageous to be the 14th team. Let Missouri state and tarleton fight over the cusa
ColonelFan22

Post by ColonelFan22 »

I know you believe you are never wrong, so be it.
I have never sat foot on Tarleton’s campus, so I can’t say what is true or not. If I recall correctly, you were saying the same regarding Kenny State. Now, one year later than have not replaced or started building any of those promised athletic facilities. And no one here is talking up KSU. I won’t go into how many colleges and universities are in the general vicinity of Atlanta… you know that all important location thing.
You can think whatever you want, but if every time a new kid on the block comes up and we broadcast they’re better than us, deserve the invite, when we really don’t have specific parameters to compare, we are doing our University a disservice. And you won’t find me placating WKU fans on the CUSA board.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

One of the boards suggest MAC may add 3…..would we be considered…..again WKU reject the invite to the MAC if we were invited also
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

ColonelFan22 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:38 pm I know you believe you are never wrong, so be it.
I have never sat foot on Tarleton’s campus, so I can’t say what is true or not. If I recall correctly, you were saying the same regarding Kenny State. Now, one year later than have not replaced or started building any of those promised athletic facilities. And no one here is talking up KSU. I won’t go into how many colleges and universities are in the general vicinity of Atlanta… you know that all important location thing.
You can think whatever you want, but if every time a new kid on the block comes up and we broadcast they’re better than us, deserve the invite, when we really don’t have specific parameters to compare, we are doing our University a disservice. And you won’t find me placating WKU fans on the CUSA board.
KSU has taken some preliminary steps, but Tarleton is much further along. KSU got in because people are (in my opinion incorrectly) obsessed with markets. They do also have a very large enrollment.

I'm wrong all the time. I'm genuinely asking because I want to know. What is it that leads you to believe that we are a more valuable add than they are? I've wracked by brain for something tangible because I love to argue in our favor, but I just haven't come up with much.
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

The main thing that I have heard that people universally agree with about EKU is the location. Most fans of CUSA and MAC view us as a prime location which helps with travel budget. For MAC, 4 colleges within 4 hours, the others are an easy drive or an easy direct flights from Lex to and plenty of hotel options. CUSA would love that the whole state of KY for non power 5 would be in the same conference and many old rivalries would start back up. WKU hates all of this lol. WKU vs EKU would be the best rivalry year one in the CUSA and the attendance at these games would show it.

EKU to MAC would be an absolute no brainer because we would prob take a conference friendly deal, lower travel costs for all sports, and give the MAC a team in KY (the conference recruits heavy from KY).

I view Tarleton like I view Liberty. How long will they actually be in your conference. Liberty will be gone as soon as the media rights are up and Tarleton could back fill for AAC or Sunbelt if a team bolts for a better conference in 3-4 years. EKU would be a staple for a very long time in either.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Liberty will be gone as soon as the media rights are up and Tarleton could back fill for AAC or Sunbelt if a team bolts for a better conference in 3-4 years. EKU would be a staple for a very long time in either.
I don't disagree that Liberty may be gone soon, buy the buyout for C-USA is so tiny that they wouldn't bother waiting if the opportunity was there. It's so small that any school that wanted out would pay it, and Liberty has nearly endless financial resources.

I have no earthly idea what Tarleton's ceiling really is. I don't personally imagine them being quick to move on, but that's only a guess.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

I also wonder how UTRGV could factor into all of this. They are a startup program, but it's not too hard to envision them having a UTSA like trajectory.
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

Unfortunately all signs point to wku staying in cusa and Missouri state gets the 12th spot