Rumor mill starting early...

EKU05

Re: Rumor mill starting early...

Post by EKU05 »

Also the potential the ASUN is going to add more football schools. Rumors include West Florida moving up as well as southern CAA school or schools (per Matt Brown).
On the one hand that's good, but how big is the overall conference going to get at the end of all of this? I don't want to fight 16-18 schools for one NCAA tournament bid every March.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

I don't see going past 14.

ASUN is at 12 and is losing KSU.
So I don't see adding any more than three schools. Also depends if any are affiliates for football only.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

Hopefully the UAC will be losing us soon to FBS
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Doubt it at this point
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

ekugrad1970 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:25 pm Hopefully the UAC will be losing us soon to FBS
I'm a never say never kind of person, but it's really difficult to envision a realistic path for the UAC to FBS as it is currently constituted. There are two many obstacles in the way. The only thing I can come up with, and even this seems too far fetched, is to basically make some kind of an arrangement to purchase the name and rights of the Pac-12 or the MWC when those two conferences merge (which seems somewhat likely at this point). But even there, there's no precedent for something like that actually happen, and I suspect there are many obstacles that we can't even anticipate.
Lion1983

Post by Lion1983 »

I'm not overly concerned with the WAC schools moving. It only really concerns ASUN football in scheduling.

That being said, the ASUN holds the AQ for the UAC, at the end of the day, the ASUN can just say, Okay, football is in the ASUN and yall can stick around as affiliate members.

If you really look at it unbiased, the ASUN is in a very strong position and has potential of getting stronger with what's going on around us.

Matt Brown wouldn't have half-harted said what he said about the CAA potential to lose a school to the ASUN. So there is that and the possibility of Richmond for football only. That tells me it's probably William and Mary. Just my opinion on them.

In the SoCon, ETSUs AD was interviewed and he was noticeably upset about the private schools in the SoCon having so much power and some of the rules within the SoCon. He even made a damning comment or two that leads me to believe both ETSU and Chattanooga are potentially leaving. What conference makes the most sense for them? Well probably the ASUN. I don't see them joining the OVC without EKU, APSU and JSU. I also don't see any upside to inquire about CAA for them.

Then, in my opinion, it's just a mater of time before West Florida joins.

So there is potential for ASUN to have a nice football league along with very strong basketball if all goes this way. Baseball and softball is already very good so shouldn't be a drop there either.

So all that said, I see no need to panic about anything if your in the ASUN because of what schools that are virtually football only members are doing. But that's just my opinion.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Great post, Lion. I have no idea how realistic it is, but if we could get ETSU and Chattanooga on board with our current group we'd be talking about a really nice conference.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

Matt just tweeted he is going to have a newsletter on realignment out tomorrow.
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

I wonder if it is going to have any CUSA news. Any candidate for the 14th spot has to be in by May 15th
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

BleedMaroon wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 pm I wonder if it is going to have any CUSA news. Any candidate for the 14th spot has to be in by May 15th
12th spot, right? I haven't heard anything about them going to 14. We genuinely might be in if that did that right now. I'd be surprised if Missouri State doesn't grab spot number 12 unless they decide to hold at 11, which is not entirely out of the question.