Marshall Preview and Predictions

g--

Re: Marshall Preview and Predictions

Post by g-- »

Eternal Colonel wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:21 am ...first-I was surprised BOTH squads didn't have protest gear.

For the record, there is an extremely vigorous discussion regarding whether
our players and coaches should have worn protest gear on the EKU Football
Facebook page.

I've entered my thoughts there; I will not do so here...

I don’t go to EKU football Facebook because too many people are excessively impolite on Facebook but I just now took a look at the discussion there. There are too many insults for me to consider it a real discussion!
Last edited by g-- on Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
g--

Post by g-- »

smidge34 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:25 am “I’m just stunned” lmao. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good old smidge, I’ve missed you around here.

At first I was surprised that you were so easily amused by a word (stunned), but then an image of my daughter’s cat being easily amused by a ball of yarn came into my head. You know I’m just kidding – right.
Last edited by g-- on Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sycamorefan96

Post by Sycamorefan96 »

Fan of Indiana State and Eastern Illinois.
g--

Post by g-- »

Thank you for the links. I appreciate that.

So one guy said, “we will burn down this system” - and in doing so he comes off sounding like an idiot. In my research I found that the BLM network has more than 40 chapters (that was the number in 2018, I’m guessing there are a good many more today) and I found no evidence suggesting that the one guy who said, “we will burn down this system” is typical of the BLM movement. I have been a member of many organizations in my life I can tell you that every organization has a few idiots but they are the small minority.

The BLM statement by the BLM co-founder in 2015 that she and her fellow organizers are “trained Marxists” is troubling but my research found that those original organizers have emphasized the importance of local organizing over national leadership, and that BLM should not have a central structure or hierarchy. I found no evidence that suggests the many local BLM chapters have any connection at all to Marxism.

I admit I am just now learning about BLM as an organization (rather than just a slogan) but my research shows there is no rational explanation for saying BLM is a “Marxist-Terrorist group.” As my grandfather liked to say; a few pebbles in the corn crib doesn’t ruin the crop.
Colonel Grad

Post by Colonel Grad »

Like G, I am not an expert on the BLM organization.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but did anything the EKU players do, wear or say connect them directly to the BLM organization?

As far as I know, BLM the organization is not the owner or originator of "Say Their Names" or "Enough is Enough". There was no mention of BLM in the statement issued by the players.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

I think the tie-in is the clenched fist emblem on the back of the helmets.
Colonel Grad

Post by Colonel Grad »

Steve 82 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:04 pm I think the tie-in is the clenched fist emblem on the back of the helmets.
I checked the official BLM organization web site and did not find a clinched fist logo anywhere on their site or on the clothing they sell.

Ironically the clenched fist has been used by many different groups over the years. Some who are even the direct opposites.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

Colonel Grad wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 pm
Steve 82 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:04 pm I think the tie-in is the clenched fist emblem on the back of the helmets.
I checked the official BLM organization web site and did not find a clinched fist logo anywhere on their site or on the clothing they sell.

Ironically the clenched fist has been used by many different groups over the years. Some who are even the direct opposites.
There is still a tie in with it even if BLM isn't officially selling merchandise with it.

https://inews.co.uk/news/black-lives-ma ... ned-432838

Have also seen it used for communism when colored red, fighting climate change when green, so used a lot of different causes.
bill54

Post by bill54 »

Lately, a lot of anarchist creeps are trying to coerce people to raise their fist in support of their cause, whatever that is. It wasn't a good idea for the football team to be associated in any way with these thugs.

My biggest concern is that sports teams, now including EKU, are feeding into the narrative that cops as a whole are racist and hunting down African Americans. I'm afraid this is just creating more anger and distrust, making matters worse. We had come a long way since the days of segregation and true oppression. I think all the crap going on these days has set the country back.
BigDawgEKU

Post by BigDawgEKU »

The problem with all of this is there is no middle ground. If you say you don’t support the BLM group, you are immediately labeled as a racist and a Trump supporter. If you say you support equality for black people, you are immediately labeled as a BLM supporter and grouped in with all the negative stuff from BLM.

I would guess that 90 percent of this country supports equality for black people but there is a lot of people that don’t support BLM including a lot of black people. No one is allowed to have the view that you can support equality but not support BLM and that’s the problem.

When people see EKU and other teams speak out on equality, it is immediately labeled that they are supporting anti police, rioting and looting and some of the Anti-Semitic and homophobic views that have come from BLM leaders.

When the players see the fans push back or complain, they think that the fans are just a bunch of racist Trump supporters and don’t understand that a lot of fans are just pushing back against BLM and not equality.

We need to get to a point where it’s ok to speak out against BLM and not be labeled a racist and by supporting equality does not mean you support BLM.

As long as their is no middle ground, there is going continue to be anger and it’s going to drive us farther apart rather than bring us together.