Pandemic Scheduling

Eternal Colonel

Re: Pandemic Scheduling

Post by Eternal Colonel »

I've been skeptical whether there'd be OVC football, simply due to the cost of
testing on top of all the other expenses inherent in D-1 football that we face-
now likely sans "money" games.

That said, I'm happy the conference hasn't folded the '20 season or copped out
by promising a worthless spring football "compromise".

Of these things, I'm pleased my skepticism has been unfounded.
FredF63

Post by FredF63 »

Hi everyone,

My name is Fred. I am new to the area but have been following the OVC for the last fifteen or so years. I was close to an OVC team that has lost to the Colonels three straight years...( up to you to figure out who). With that being said, I’m excited to have moved to Lexington and am hoping to be a part of Saturday’s at EKU moving forward.

My question is this, if you were in charge and were allowed to play a few games to make some money for your program would you? I saw money over safety is a concern that people raised. Is it on the school and staff to now say we aren’t going to play, or do you think the conferences should have stopped games from happening. Genuinely interested to hear your opinions. Thanks

FF
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

You ole Tennessee Tech fan
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Minority owner of Manchester United of England Premier League

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

From Matt Roan:

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

View this email in your browser

Colonel Fans,
Here is a statement from EKU Director of Athletics Matt Roan …
“These are unprecedented times without a roadmap to help navigate. My heart breaks for our student-athletes who will not have the opportunity to compete this fall, and who continue to live daily with uncertainty surrounding their competitive seasons in this academic year. Our job remains to provide support to THEM in every facet of their student-athlete experience!

The Ohio Valley Conference decision to postpone fall sports is one that we respect. Having confidence in our ability to effectively support and provide championship opportunities for student-athletes makes the plan to move volleyball and soccer to the spring a viable one. Moving cross country to the spring in direct conflict with indoor and outdoor track & field is not practical, but we look forward to a successful spring. We are disappointed that our men’s and women’s golf, softball and baseball student-athletes cannot compete as teams this fall, but we also look forward to watching them compete for championships in the spring.

Due to logistical, organizational, and other concerns related to a potential spring football season, EKU is continuing to explore all options to play football in the fall.

With each of these decisions, the wants and desires of our student-athletes and their safety, health and well-being are supreme in terms of our decision-making factors. We believe our protocol, which includes regular testing and other medical measures, allows us this opportunity and provides a protective environment for not just our student-athletes, but our coaches, staff, supporters and campus community.

We have been very deliberate in our approach since March. We’ve learned along the way and will continue to learn every day. Our safety protocols are strong. When the time is right, the Colonels will be ready to play!

I want to thank our student-athletes, coaches and fans for their support and patience.

Go Big E!”
Twitter
Facebook
Snapchat
Copyright © 2020*EKUSports, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
521 Lancaster Ave.
Alumni Coliseum 115
Richmond, KY 40475
DannyHopesGhost

Post by DannyHopesGhost »

WCU is out because their conference cancelled all games, even OOC games. So that leaves YSU and WVU. If we plan to try and do 4 games this fall, we would have to have a Big 12, another ACC game or a C-USA game, correct? Other than the obvious (Independents) FBS teams, who is within a reasonable travel distance to minimize our logistic costs and can pay to make it worth it if they plan to do this?

I hate that other sports are cancelled for the Fall because I believe they should get the same opportunity the football team does (as long as they follow COVID guidelines, etc), but understand why the conference is letting this happen. Many FCS schools depend on these games versus FBS schools to prop up the athletic department budgets and minimize support needed from the college general funds. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

I would think that if we add any one would be WKU.
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

Steve 82 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:54 pm I would think that if we add any one would be WKU.
Now there’s a good idea.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

WKU,Marshall, Cincinnati or Louisville any two would be excellent
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

Just hope we can fill the calendar with four quality games
neugie

Post by neugie »

Cincinnati is allowed 1 non conference game They are playing Austin Peay on Sept 19