UT Martin Game Thread

Eternal Colonel

Re: UT Martin Game Thread

Post by Eternal Colonel »

...I've made the analogy that EKU was like the
dude that stayed in it's comfortable neighborhood-
the OVC, while it's more ambitious buddies; WKU, MTSU,
and other "buddies"-Marshall, Appalachian State, etc,.
moved up and out.

They ponied up for stadiums, took axx-whippings from
SEC, Big 10 and P5 schools while we were punking UTMartin,
SEMO, and Austin Pee.

Now, we're right where we chose to be; equal to
UTMartin, SEMO, and Austin Pee-who we chose to live
among.

Don't be surprised if Jacksonville leaves after this year.
The OVC provides no competition; EKU certainly doesn't.

The loss Saturday isn't an aberration, it's a reflection of
what we've become, by choice...
jrw77

Post by jrw77 »

Eternal Colonel 100% correct. We should have moved years ago.
smidge34

Post by smidge34 »

I’d say the OVC, particularly Austin Peay, provided JSU plenty of “competition” this season. Or maybe their excuse is they should have moved up already. ;)
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

smidge34 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:32 am I’d say the OVC, particularly Austin Peay, provided JSU plenty of “competition” this season. Or maybe their excuse is they should have moved up already. ;)
I think you are missing the point. EKU ONCE was in a position to capitalize on our success. Unfortunately the higher ups chose to forgo any and all fortunes we could have grasp at the time. Including moving up a division. Now we are where we are, among the also ran (and in the OVC to boot). Our attendance has plummeted. You may not like hearing it, but our fans don’t care about UTM, SEMO, EIU, or Pee... I don’t care if they have beat us recently. It is what it is.
It’s rather ironic that a Racer fan comments here about competition in the OVC, when they constant complain about it and how they are the face of OVC basketball, how awful the OVC is for the Racers, they must move to the MVC, on and on, ad nauseam.
GO EKU!!!
Westside

Post by Westside »

Coach Kidd wanted to leave the OVC back when SEMO was being added, but he couldn't get any support.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

Funderburke did so much damage.....we should have moved along from the ovc and division level when we were positioned to do so.......it will be more difficult now but must be done......we should not be
Playing pray, ut Martin , semo etc .....we have become who we associate with......Times to change friends and playgrounds
EKUPROF

Post by EKUPROF »

The University is facing a significant budget cut again this year in the $8-10 million dollar range. This follows the $25 million just experienced 2 years ago. While I appreciate the enthusiasm for our fans that push the move up, we also have to be realistic. The money is not there and only having 11,000+ for homecoming is not indicative of a supportive fan base. Plus, will our fan base pay the increased prices for tickets, salaries, and the constant facility upgrades to keep up?

No conference has invited us yet. Truthfully, our fan base will not be excited about most of the teams in the Sun Belt after the initial newness wears off.

We may eventually move up, but we missed the best opportunity to do so in the late 80’s and early 90’s.
dmr55

Post by dmr55 »

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a former player at the wall dedication and was told that they have raised alot of money to remodel the stadium and was also told that they are still looking to move up in the next couple of years and the conference would be the MAC as they have a couple of teams that could be leaving in the next 2 years. also looking at our future schedules there are 2 teams that we will be paying to come to Richmond one game will be with Western Carolina and one with Charleston Southern
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

dmr55 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:19 pm I was talking to a friend of mine who is a former player at the wall dedication and was told that they have raised alot of money to remodel the stadium and was also told that they are still looking to move up in the next couple of years and the conference would be the MAC as they have a couple of teams that could be leaving in the next 2 years. also looking at our future schedules there are 2 teams that we will be paying to come to Richmond one game will be with Western Carolina and one with Charleston Southern
I definitely suspect they're still keeping their eyes open as far as a move. I hope this is all correct. If it is, I have two sort of open-ended questions:

1. Who exactly are they anticipating is leaving the MAC, and where are they going?
2. I knew we had an upcoming game with Western Carolina, but it surprises me that that game is a one-off. They are a relative peer program. Charleston Southern surprises me less.

Speaking of WCU, I think we should be playing them all the time. In some ways, they're in a very similar situation to us. They were long-time bitter trophy game rivals with Appalachian State, and they've kind of been left behind in App's transition the same way we were with WKU. I think EKU-WCU could be a great regular series for both schools.
smidge34

Post by smidge34 »

Marvin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 am
smidge34 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:32 am I’d say the OVC, particularly Austin Peay, provided JSU plenty of “competition” this season. Or maybe their excuse is they should have moved up already. ;)
I think you are missing the point. EKU ONCE was in a position to capitalize on our success. Unfortunately the higher ups chose to forgo any and all fortunes we could have grasp at the time. Including moving up a division. Now we are where we are, among the also ran (and in the OVC to boot). Our attendance has plummeted. You may not like hearing it, but our fans don’t care about UTM, SEMO, EIU, or Pee... I don’t care if they have beat us recently. It is what it is.
It’s rather ironic that a Racer fan comments here about competition in the OVC, when they constant complain about it and how they are the face of OVC basketball, how awful the OVC is for the Racers, they must move to the MVC, on and on, ad nauseam.
Touché I guess but can you really compare FCS football to D1 basketball in any shape or form? Nope.