Rumor mill starting early...

Eternal Colonel

Re: Rumor mill starting early...

Post by Eternal Colonel »

...first off-I confess to not reading all the posts.

Was there a discussion of the financial benefit of joining this conference ? Is
there a media package/contract that members share ?

Like everyone else, I'm so sick of the pathetic OVC (no teams in Ohio or on the
Ohio River/office in Nashville/Brentwood, b/t/w) I'd welcome anything new.
I know many want us to look north for a new conference, some (me-selfishly)
want to look south. I find the WAC-southwest option interesting, indeed.

Whatever we do, I sincerely believe Walt Wells and Matt Roan are excellent
leaders to take us forward, wherever we end up...
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Interesting comments from the AD at UCA 🤔 https://youtu.be/SxP_PNJbiGk
BigDawgEKU

Post by BigDawgEKU »

Great find GoldenBear!

Asun football. Six team conference. Possible FBS move in two to three years. Starts in the fall. Like the sound of it.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

To be fair to the conference's name, there are at least a few OVC schools located in what would be considered the Ohio Valley. Ironically, the ASUN does have a member in a city directly on the Ohio River in Bellarmine and a former member in NKU.

I don't much about the ASUN's package other than I often seen ASUN games on ESPN + when I'm logging in to watch EKU, so I suspect they have a relatively similar deal.
Sae

Post by Sae »

Eternal Colonel wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 pm ...first off-I confess to not reading all the posts.

Have not seen anything on the financials of the deal, it appears from what I have seen, the ASun has a similar deal with ESPN+ that the OVC has, have not seen anything else other than that. The OVC has shown that it wants to play basketball and would be fine with nothing else. I would be happy if we could make the move up and see benefits to both the SunBelt (which would most likely be the only real option) and the MAC (we have had thoughts about this but to my knowledge no contact with them at all). Staying at the FCS level, I like this move, Basketball is a lateral step in my opinion, Football is a big step up, baseball and softball always moving south make things better, not sure on things like volleyball, golf, track and other sports. In my opinion, us and Jax St. have to act together on this, if one of us goes, the other is left in a dead football conf. Some of the other schools have shown a bunch of improvement over the last few years like Peay, and Martin but have not shown they are going to invest long term. If we are gonna move in FCS us and Jax go together in my opinion, we can't stay if they go.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

It was a bit of a surprise that Dr. Teague (UCA AD) spoke of schools potentially moving to FBS.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Sae wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:50 am
Eternal Colonel wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 pm ...first off-I confess to not reading all the posts.

Have not seen anything on the financials of the deal, it appears from what I have seen, the ASun has a similar deal with ESPN+ that the OVC has, have not seen anything else other than that. The OVC has shown that it wants to play basketball and would be fine with nothing else. I would be happy if we could make the move up and see benefits to both the SunBelt (which would most likely be the only real option) and the MAC (we have had thoughts about this but to my knowledge no contact with them at all). Staying at the FCS level, I like this move, Basketball is a lateral step in my opinion, Football is a big step up, baseball and softball always moving south make things better, not sure on things like volleyball, golf, track and other sports. In my opinion, us and Jax St. have to act together on this, if one of us goes, the other is left in a dead football conf. Some of the other schools have shown a bunch of improvement over the last few years like Peay, and Martin but have not shown they are going to invest long term. If we are gonna move in FCS us and Jax go together in my opinion, we can't stay if they go.
That whole acting together thing is an important point. I'm nervous about certain aspects of this myself, but my counterpoint to anyone arguing against this move is that staying in the OVC might be a move in and of itself. If Jax wants to do this, and if Murray (at some point in a better financial future) still wants out, or anyone else sees the writing on the wall then we might be staying in an OVC that isn't as good as the one we are currently in.

I think this move is, as much as anything else, making sure we're one of the actors as opposed to the reactors with certain changes seeming inevitable. The destiny you choose for yourself is almost always better than the one someone else chooses for you. We've lived this story before watching the likes of WKU and MTSU bolt the OVC. I like that we're at least trying to write a different ending this time.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm hearing a lot more detail and it seems like things will drop soon.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

UCA AD in his interview said end of the month or beginning of Feb.
dmr55

Post by dmr55 »

Steve 82 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:50 pm UCA AD in his interview said end of the month or beginning of Feb.
Just wanted to post that the person that keeps us updated on the ASUN Lion 1983 according to The Jacksonville State board his wife passed away Friday from COVID-19