from the Faculty Regent

A place to hang out and chat. But let's be nice :)
g--

from the Faculty Regent

Post by g-- »

This is from a message to the Faculty from the Faculty Regent;

“The Board has clearly heard objections from faculty members who would solve our current budget shortfall by eliminating intercollegiate athletics. My sense is that the Board sees athletics as being among our most successful programs and I doubt there is any intention of eliminating intercollegiate athletics at this time. If larger cuts from the state remain on the horizon, I suppose that could change down the road.”
Marvin

Re: from the Faculty Regent

Post by Marvin »

That would be THE worst thing to happen at EKU in decades. Do away with athletics and the University would dry up, you could count on it! There would be no enthusiasm, no alumni contributions or support, no pride, it would be at best a community college or at worst a junior college. Very bad idea, selfish intentions, and a horrible suggestion! I suggest that those faculty who want to work at that kind of an institution, DeVry is probably hiring! :roll:
GO EKU!!!
g--

Post by g-- »

More news from the Faculty Regent. Here are a few highlights;

- Republicans now control the governor’s office and both chambers of the General Assembly.
- Senate President David Givens reportedly told CPE officials and the university presidents who met recently to discuss performance-based funding, “We are not here to negotiate.” And he added that we should not be planning on any additional money for higher education.
- If we fail to meet our metrics going forward the model could withhold $20M in the next 5-6 fiscal years.
- President Benson expressed concern that tuition might come under a state consumption tax. “The (governor’s) idea is that if you want it, you pay for it,” he said. But taxing students’ tuition could really impact needy students. “I am worried that we are going to price-out of education an entire section of our population, “Benson said.
- The state has all of the power it needs to reshape the nature of higher education in the Commonwealth, and there is every indication that it is about to do so.
dljordaneku

Post by dljordaneku »

I'm going to move this thread out of Basketball and into the General chit-chat board but lets not get carried away with this. I shut down one thread because of politics. I don't want to have to shut down another.

dj