Dan Mchale

panthers502

Dan Mchale

Post by panthers502 »

Look, I don't think Dan Mchale is a bad in game coach. Now recruiting I think there is a issue. I'm not sure if it's his staff or him. But I was watching the jsu and eku game online. The talent disparity is a major difference. I think they play hard. There just not talented. I just don't want this program to get so bad were we are re living the Scott Perry or the end of Mike Calhoun's tenure.
BigDawgEKU

Re: Dan Mchale

Post by BigDawgEKU »

I actually think it’s the complete opposite. The talent is there to win but this is team is poorly coached.

Mayo is a fringe NBA player. Davis was overhyped but still shows flashes of being a solid player when healthy. Boyd has some nice moments for a freshman but needs to reign it in and cut out the bad shots. Hobbs looks like he can be a decent point guard over the next couple years. Charles and Dishman and good role players. If Gist ever plays again, he showed last year that he has some ability. If Weaver can stay healthy, he has showed he can contribute.

They may not have elite talent but there is enough there to be a top five OVC team. This team has no clue what to do on offense and that leads to way too much sloppy one on one play. It’s not a talent issue on offense, it’s a coaching issue. The defense has been bad every year under McHale.
panthers502

Post by panthers502 »

Gist is transferring. It's already been said. Mayo is the only true talent they have. Davis is pretty good. I think the young players are ok. But I don't get why we can't recruit very solid mid major talent. Neubauer was great at that. And he recruited great shooters. In my opinion u have to have 3 really good athletes a good pg and the rest shooters. This team can't shoot can't create space and that's athleticism. Ford was a good recruiter as well. He had haney, witt etc. Perry had 3 to 4 star players. But couldn't coach a middle school team. Whitney Robinson was like a top 75 player but did not have a clue on how to run a team. Calhoun recruited well early then slipped. Had a stud in deMarkus doss and Arlando Johnson. I'm just saying other than mayo in 3 yrs has he had a solid go to guard or wing.....
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

BigDawgEKU wrote:I actually think it’s the complete opposite. The talent is there to win but this is team is poorly coached.

Mayo is a fringe NBA player. Davis was overhyped but still shows flashes of being a solid player when healthy. Boyd has some nice moments for a freshman but needs to reign it in and cut out the bad shots. Hobbs looks like he can be a decent point guard over the next couple years. Charles and Dishman and good role players. If Gist ever plays again, he showed last year that he has some ability. If Weaver can stay healthy, he has showed he can contribute.

They may not have elite talent but there is enough there to be a top five OVC team. This team has no clue what to do on offense and that leads to way too much sloppy one on one play. It’s not a talent issue on offense, it’s a coaching issue. The defense has been bad every year under McHale.
I agree. The initial recruitment of players to the program is far and away the best aspect of what McHale has done. It's the in-game part that is far more concerning. If you think the in-game part isn't the problem I really have to question which EKU team you're watching.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Also, there may be no better example of recruiting an outstanding talent and not being able to coach him than Boyd.
EKU96

Post by EKU96 »

BigDawgEKU wrote:I actually think it’s the complete opposite. The talent is there to win but this is team is poorly coached.

You hit the hammer down on that one !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Colonel1991

Post by Colonel1991 »

Somebody give us a reason to be optimistic
If it’s true we can’t pay McHale and he’s here for another year, are there staff changes or new signees that will help? I’m afraid like others we may lose some guys again that decide to transfer. Do we have any players that have committed already? Would be nice to have a grad transfer

If someone’s hits the lottery and we can pay McHale To move on , who would be the best potential candidate for this job? Do you try to find a big time assistant, a current head coach? Eku ties? Best available? Curious as to thoughts s this stage in game
Sae

Post by Sae »

Colonel1991 wrote:Somebody give us a reason to be optimistic
If it’s true we can’t pay McHale and he’s here for another year, are there staff changes or new signees that will help? I’m afraid like others we may lose some guys again that decide to transfer. Do we have any players that have committed already? Would be nice to have a grad transfer

If someone’s hits the lottery and we can pay McHale To move on , who would be the best potential candidate for this job? Do you try to find a big time assistant, a current head coach? Eku ties? Best available? Curious as to thoughts s this stage in game
As is in football, we don't pay enough to go after a big time assistant, we have to go after a younger assistant from the "big" boys or go with a guy that is moving up. The problem is it's like catching lightning in a bottle. On paper our hire of Elder is much more impressive than the guy at Peay, on the field the guy at Peay has given much better results. The major problem today is guys like Coach Kidd don't happen any more. If your program is successful, you will be doing a coaching search every 3 or 4 years. You just have to hope you get the right guy.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Colonel1991 wrote:Somebody give us a reason to be optimistic

I'll repeat something from another thread. My understanding from a source that is generally pretty reliable is that McHale's contract (negotiated by Avare's dad) is actually not all that favorable to him and that buying him out after this season would cost very little. I don't think there is any reason whatsoever to assume that he must return next year.
Jdw733

Post by Jdw733 »

The fact of the matter is he is 13-28 in the OVC since he has been a head coach. Despite what the talent level is on his team, and for the record I believe it is on par with what JN has throughout his time at EKU, there is no reason he has a .30 win percentage in a very lackluster conference. None.

What is upsetting as an alumni is seeing a thread seriously entitled something to the effect of “Path to the OVC Tourney”. I thought they should have moved on from DM last year after missing it back to back years. If he misses it for a 3rd straight year he has to be let go, bought out, or shown the door. EKU has not missed the OVC tourney 3 consecutive years since Scott Perry’s last year in 99, and Ford’s first two in 00-01.

IMO DM is the high priced assistant on a mid-high level team. He’s shown he cannot be a HC right now.