UT-Martin

g--

UT-Martin

Post by g-- »

Right now (at 6:00 Sunday) EKU is the lowest ranked OVC team on realtimerpi.com.

If we can beat UT-Martin we can move up in the ratings ending this humiliation of being the worst team in the OVC.

Go Team!

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_325_Men.html
g--

Re: UT-Martin

Post by g-- »

BigDawgEKU, (from another thread) lots of people keep mentioning the idea of getting a new coach but it’s not going to happen next year because Kentucky Government has cut money for the State Universities by about a third the last few years. Add to that the fact EKU’s President put a freeze on student tuition increases with the result of EKU running on fumes. The point is there’s no money to buyout McHale’s contract. His yearly salary is $300,000 so I would imagine his buyout clause is really high.
bill54

Post by bill54 »

g-- wrote:BigDawgEKU, (from another thread) lots of people keep mentioning the idea of getting a new coach but it’s not going to happen next year because Kentucky Government has cut money for the State Universities by about a third the last few years. Add to that the fact EKU’s President put a freeze on student tuition increases with the result of EKU running on fumes. The point is there’s no money to buyout McHale’s contract. His yearly salary is $300,000 so I would imagine his buyout clause is really high.
Couldn't the money come from somewhere other than State funds, like EKU's endowment (just >$60 million)? Understandably, I'm sure the University would rather use this money for academics, but in this case it may be worth spending the $$. Turning the b'ball program around would be good for Eastern, and the expenditure could be offset by increased TV time resulting from a better program.
g--

Post by g-- »

I don’t see that happening. Typically only the interest off an endowment is spent and I assume that money has already been earmarked for other expenses given the tight economic conditions at EKU.
bill54

Post by bill54 »

g-- wrote:I don’t see that happening. Typically only the interest off an endowment is spent and I assume that money has already been earmarked for other expenses given the tight economic conditions at EKU.
You're probably right, but I think buying out McHale would be $$ well spent. In addition to more possible TV appearances, increased ticket sales from a successful b'ball program could replace the $$ within a few yeas.
BigDawgEKU

Post by BigDawgEKU »

They need to find the money somewhere. Bringing McHale back would be a big mistake at this point. I know with all the tearing down and building on campus that is going on, there is money somewhere. Investing in athletics, especially basketball and football, can really help a university financially. Gonzaga is a perfect example. Gonzaga was in serious finical trouble years ago before they made that run out of nowhere in the Tourney. After that, the school made a big turnaround financially and has benefited ever since.

With a new coach, I think the program can be fixed in a year or two. With another year of McHale, it might be so far down it will take several years to fix.
Sae

Post by Sae »

BigDawgEKU wrote:They need to find the money somewhere. Bringing McHale back would be a big mistake at this point. I know with all the tearing down and building on campus that is going on, there is money somewhere. Investing in athletics, especially basketball and football, can really help a university financially. Gonzaga is a perfect example. Gonzaga was in serious finical trouble years ago before they made that run out of nowhere in the Tourney. After that, the school made a big turnaround financially and has benefited ever since.

With a new coach, I think the program can be fixed in a year or two. With another year of McHale, it might be so far down it will take several years to fix.
has anyone figured out for sure does he have another year left or is this his final year of the contract.
g--

Post by g-- »

I found this from OVCBALL;
"McHale is under a four-year contract worth $300,000 a year according to his contract that is weirdly available in full online, and his buyout would be the full remaining salary if terminated."
smidge34

Post by smidge34 »

Is this his second season?
smidge34

Post by smidge34 »

Never mind it's his 3rd, I just thought Neubauer coached Mayo his freshman year but obviously he only recruited him.