Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

g--

Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

Post by g-- »

Can you believe it - basketball season is half over.

SIUE should be a very easy win.

RealTimeRPI has E. Kentucky at 279 and SIU Edwardsville rated as a better team at 227, plus given our recent injuries it might seem like we may not win this game.

However, the fact that SIU Edwardsville has been the worst team in the OVC for years tells me we will win easily.

Is it safe to assume that after missing 4 games Gist is off the team?

Rosie, I really liked Paul Jackson’s game. Too bad McHale got rid of him.

SIUE sports page;
http://www.siuecougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/index
ekubg

Re: Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

Post by ekubg »

I also wondered about Asante Gist's status. I would assume he's transferring.
Ditto on Paul Jackson. Too bad he got away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Wait, you're basing the idea that we will "win easily" while decimated by injuriesillness on how an opposing program performed in previous seasons with different sets of players? g, you're a numbers guy. You know better than that.

I'm not saying we won't win, but I think any sentence that states ahead of time that we "will win easily" against a D1 opponent is hyperbolic at best. I genuinely think this team will get better, but every night is going to be a battle (if we're lucky).
g--

Post by g-- »

EKU05, you make a very good point. My overemphasis on our ability to win this game is based on my deep inner need to see EKU beat a team that’s ranked higher than Norfolk State. EKU’s best win so far was against Norfolk St which is now ranked at 298. All the other teams we’ve beat are now ranked in the 300’s.

What I should have said is; SIUE should (hopefully) be a very easy win because I can’t stand the thought of losing to the team that has been the worst team in the OVC for years.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_325_Men.html
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

If we lose at home to the consensus worst team in the conference, then where do we stand? Tonight we were hapless on offense and hopeless on defense. I know that Gist is gone and Davis hurt, but I’d like to see those left playing to look more well coached.
g--

Post by g-- »

I agree! I came home from the game depressed.

I’ve had it! I’m pissed! I think McHale may be the worst coach in all of D1 basketball.
neugie

Post by neugie »

I think Jeff Neubauer may be available after the season Fordham isnt doing very well again this tear
Sae

Post by Sae »

let's go old coaches, Coach N and Coach Hope! Now if we could go old AD
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Before I make my main statement I want to acknowledge several things:

1. Criticize McHale in whatever basketball context you want. I certainly will. But his team has not quit on him or each other even up against a mountain of adversity. They battled until the very end.
2. Dillon Avare took a lot of flak for many of us for not living up to the hype with his shooting, but at least recently the kid has absolutely shot the lights out. He was a big part of the reason we nearly pulled of one of the better late comebacks you'd ever see.
3. This team is still ailing, Davis has just had no luck. Charles was recently sick. Boyd was barely available to us last night with an illness. Hobbs has missed a ton of time. Weaver miraculously brought his career back from the dead. Gist is...off the team? Suspended? Has some bizarre injury? If there's a team in the country in the last decade with worse fortune in terms of player availability I haven't seen it.

With all of those disclaimers out of the way...

I'm seriously starting to wonder if 0-18 in the OVC might be a very realistic possibility. I still think we'll get 2 or 3 more wins from somewhere, but it's hard to pinpoint where and when they might come.

Also, Nick Mayo played his usual monster of a game (we don't even come close without him), but those two rushed shots that each would have time the game were terrible selections. A veteran pre-season conference player of the year has to be able to make better decisions than that.

As for new coaches...

This feels like a Scott Perry kind of situation (I wonder if McHale is a future NBA GM?) With that in mind, I think we need to to our best to make a splash with the next hire. We not only need a capable coach, but a little name recognition to rev up attention on the program would be nice as well.

David Padgett? Greg Paulus? Trent Johnson? All could be looking for employment after Louisville makes permanent decisions at the end of the year.
Maybe we check to see if someone like a Seth Greenberg wants to get out of a TV studio and back onto a sideline.

It's all just speculation at this point.
Last edited by EKU05 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.