Jacksonville

g--

Jacksonville

Post by g-- »

BigDawgEKU

Re: Jacksonville

Post by BigDawgEKU »

Much needed win. Should have never went to OT though. To blow a 16 point lead with 6 minutes left is not acceptable. Got out scored 18-2 down the stretch. McHale just can't figure out end of game situations.

Great to see Weaver out there playing and scoring. Going to be a big help once he gets going. Gist looked a little better tonight. Still rusty but improvement over the WKU game.
g--

Post by g-- »

Anyone know why Davis wasn't in the game?
g--

Post by g-- »

I know this is early in the season and may not be accurate, but it makes me nervous anyway.

KenPom has Jacksonville ranked 324, lower than SIU Edwardsville at 318. In other words we had difficulty beating one of the worst teams in D1 basketball in a game EKU Sports is calling an "Overtime Thriller".

Eastern Kentucky is at 263, below Southeast Missouri St. at 259.

Here are some other current rankings of interest;

112 Belmont
117 Western Kentucky
123 Murray St.
124 Jacksonville St.

289 Rice (we only beat them by 1 point)
282 Prairie View A&M (we lost to this team by 10 points which ranks about the same as Austin Peay at 284)

201 Eastern Washington (21 point loss)
66 Mississippi (10 point loss but our only good game so far - we shot over 50% from both inside and outside the arc)
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

g, I agree with all of your analysis, but the term "overtime thriller" in my eyes says nothing of what the level of competition is. It simply means it was a dramatic and close game. Other than that...I would agree that right now we're a bottom tier of the OVC team.
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

My preseason optimism has diminished. Now I find myself asking what a basketball coach could accomplish with these kids. This staff is hopeless and hapless.
kernfan

Post by kernfan »

You know a win is a win especially with a team that has struggled to do so. That Jacksonville team is really bad though and that's putting it lightly. My one big thing from this game and this will be a constant theme:
Boyd & Gist= 9 for 33 from the field for 27 pts
Mayo= 7 for 9 from the field for 22 pts
I does not take a basketball genius to figure out that Gist and Boyd should not be on the floor together. I watched 6 minutes go by (and yes I timed it with my phone) where Gist and Boyd took every shot and it was only off of 1 pass and sometimes not even 1 pass. Coach has the resources to split them up. Put Weaver and Boyd together and Hobbs and Gist together. This gives each guard set a defensive minded player who can take care of the ball plus a perimeter scorer. The defense in this game in spurts looked better and it simply falls on the shoulders of Hobbs and Weaver. Those two guys are willing to pressure the ball and don't get blown by each time off the dribble. I honestly think we will improve now that everyone is back. One last thing, the disappearance of Charles from the floor is concerning. I know his offense has not improved but his athleticism, defense and rebounding have always taken off a lot of pressure from Mayo.
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

kernfan wrote:You know a win is a win especially with a team that has struggled to do so. That Jacksonville team is really bad though and that's putting it lightly. My one big thing from this game and this will be a constant theme:
I does not take a basketball genius to figure out that Gist and Boyd should not be on the floor together. I watched 6 minutes go by (and yes I timed it with my phone) where Gist and Boyd took every shot and it was only off of 1 pass and sometimes not even 1 pass. Coach has the resources to split them up. Put Weaver and Boyd together and Hobbs and Gist together. This gives each guard set a defensive minded player who can take care of the ball plus a perimeter scorer. The defense in this game in spurts looked better and it simply falls on the shoulders of Hobbs and Weaver. Those two guys are willing to pressure the ball and don't get blown by each time off the dribble. I honestly think we will improve now that everyone is back. One last thing, the disappearance of Charles from the floor is concerning. I know his offense has not improved but his athleticism, defense and rebounding have always taken off a lot of pressure from Mayo.
I agree kernfan. I saw another display of onball defense by WKU over Wright St this weekend. When you can pressure the ball and not get beat, the offense feeds off that energy.
Although I was always frustrated by the Neubauer teams' lack of rebounding, the guards always pressured the ball and our steals created offensive baskets.
Also, those teams valued the ball and passed it. They almost always were in the top tier of teams in assist/turnover ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

kernfan wrote:You know a win is a win especially with a team that has struggled to do so. That Jacksonville team is really bad though and that's putting it lightly. My one big thing from this game and this will be a constant theme:
When the player destined to become Eastern’s leading all time scorer gets 9 shots while two ball hogging guards average 16.5 shots between them, that’s a sign of no discipline and poor coaching. I agree with kernfan, those two don’t need to be on the floor at the same time.
Colonel Grad

Post by Colonel Grad »

Maroon Forever wrote:
When the player destined to become Eastern’s leading all time scorer gets 9 shots while two ball hogging guards average 16.5 shots between them, that’s a sign of no discipline and poor coaching. I agree with kernfan, those two don’t need to be on the floor at the same time.

Couldn't also by a sign that the other team made it a priority to keep the ball out of Mayo's hands and force the rest of the team to beat them?