WKU game day

g--

WKU game day

Post by g-- »

http://ekusports.com/news/2017/11/28/m- ... l-wku.aspx

I don’t know if Gist and/or Hobbs will be able to play but it would be great if they can.

EKU05, I hope you’re right about Davis. This is one thing I'd love to be wrong about.
EKU05

Re: WKU game day

Post by EKU05 »

I'm not sure there's even anything for me to be right about. My only point is that at this juncture trying to draw a conclusion either way feels a little pointless. You could say I've been critical about people concluding he's overrated, but I'd say the same to anyone who continued to insist that he definitely is worth all of the hype. It's totally possible that he's not quite as good as he was hyped up to be, but still also much better than he's been so far. Only time will tell.

As far as tonight goes...

My Hilltopper wife and I have made the trip from Louisville each of the past two years, but we're sitting out tonight will a few long work-related days ahead of us. But to be honest, I might have forced the issue as far as attending if I felt better about our prospects. I don't want to be the "Debbie Downer" of the board, but I'd be very surprised if we win this tonight as banged up as we are.

Even at full strength, this WKU team can play some ball. That win over a terrific Purdue team down at the Battle-4-Atlantis speaks volumes about what they are capable of. But at the end of the day...I'm not sure enjoying sports as a fan has ever really been about thinking logically, so with that in mind...

BEAT WESTERN!
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

I will be there tonight and expect a tough-nosed contest. Probably little defense in this one, which benefits WKU. I'm looking forward to the matchup on the block between Mayo and Johnson. I'm also wondering why Ohmer escaped Eku's notice and ended up at WKU. He's a terrific looking freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDawgEKU

Post by BigDawgEKU »

Sad and embarrassing effort tonight.

I don't have much hope for the defense getting a lot better. The defense has been bad the first two years. They were ranked in the 300's in the first year and in the 250's last year in points given up per game. Sure a better effort from some of the players will help but it's also a coaching problem.

The offense is a mess right now. It may get a little better once Gist and Weaver can get back going full time but there is a ton of work that needs to be done. They don't play team ball at all. There is way too much standing around at times and not enough screens being set and guys cutting to the basket. It almost looks like at times there are not even running plays. Its just whoever has the ball in their hand, see if they can make something happen.

The first two years they started strong and then quickly faded. Hopefully this year will just be a reverse of the first two years and they can finish strong. I have never been a fan of McHale since year one but I hope somehow he figures this thing out. This team has too much individual talent to be this bad. McHale is holding this team back but I hope something clicks for him as a coach.
bill54

Post by bill54 »

It's as if these guys only see the inside of a gym during games. Seriously, this bunch could do just as well if they never practiced. This may be one of Eastern's most talented teams ever, but at the same time, one of the worst. I put the blame entirely on the coach and University leadership that keeps this coach around. It was clear two years ago McHale wasn't up to the job. And before anyone uses the excuse Eastern is short-handed, WKU is largely playing with just 7 guys. As with the football team, there is no bright side or reason for optimism.
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

It’s just like football—we have coaches out of their depth and in over their heads. My pre-season optimism has been dashed. This team is not without talent. They do, however, lack a plan, teamwork and discipline.
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

ekubg wrote:I will be there tonight and expect a tough-nosed contest. Probably little defense in this one, which benefits WKU. I'm looking forward to the matchup on the block between Mayo and Johnson. I'm also wondering why Ohmer escaped Eku's notice and ended up at WKU. He's a terrific looking freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there was little defense from only one team - EKU. The matchup between Mayo and Johnson never materialized. WKU's defense was outstanding. They double teamed Mayo when he did touch the ball and disrupted his entire game. He never got into a flow. Its obvious that Gist was rusty.
But the surprising thing to me is the lack of team defense. Forget the offense, which was shut down tonight. There is no concept of team defense, especially in the lane. WKU shredded it consistently. They had SEVEN players in double figures and 24 assists to 6 turnovers! That's team offense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

We could make a slew of excuses here, and most of them are even true:

-We've been decimated by injuries. Weaver is out. Hobbes is out. Gist was in his first game back and clearly not himself. Davis is limping around.
-WKU is legitimately a good team. They were truly impressive down in the Bahamas, and I think they may be of the quality you'd generally expect in the middle of the pack in a major conference.
-We've got a lot of young kids getting used to the college game.
-We were on the road in front of a fired up rivalry crowd in Diddle. I didn't see game itself, but I heard postgame radio from the WKU team which is over-the-air here in Louisville. Stansbury and the radio team couldn't stop raving about the crowd.

With all of that having been said...

There is no circumstance under which we should lose to any team outside of a Power conference (or really any unranked team) by over 30 points. That should never, ever happen no matter what adversity we might face. Did we just forget that offense was part of the game? It doesn't sound like the defense was good either.

I think it's been pretty well documented that I've been among the more patient with the McHale era, but he needs to take hard look in the mirror and realize a few things:

1. He took over a program where winning seasons and post-season tournaments were mundane.
2. He's in year three, and we seem to be getting worse each year.
3. He's making way more money that we've ever paid a basketball coach before.
4. I'm not saying it has to happen overnight, but we need to stop getting run off the floor or he needs to resign and get out of the way for someone who can organize a team that clearly has some talent.