North Alabama

ohcolonel6

Re: North Alabama

Post by ohcolonel6 »

At this point, I feel we are not a good 3pt shooting team unfortunately.

Moreno has been about as cold as you can be over an extended stretch. 2-6 from 3 tonight. He is 7/27 (26%) from 3 over the last six games including this one so far.

We’ve only attempted 3 free throws so far in this game. I don’t get it. We need to attack. We aren’t going to shoot anyone out of their primary defense and have to attack and make them uncomfortable.

Defensively we are looking a little lost tonight. UNA is shooting 50% from the field and nearly 60% from 3. They’re moving the ball well and causing us to scramble a little bit. Also, they’re just shooting it incredibly well. I’m hoping it’s just their night and nothing more than that.

What I worry about is this mainly:
When we aren’t on defensively I don’t think we have the pieces offensively to make up for it. We score and fill it up by creating chaos on one end and then attacking at the other. Teams get tired, frustrated, and we force turnovers.

Moreno’s 3 before the buzzer was huge. Good for him. Hope as Stotty said on the call it sparks something.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

Need to find a way to slow them down a bit. Another poor shooting half from three and they are killing it from three. Maybe that miracle three at the end of the half for Moreno will get him going.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

Counting the first half we are 30-124 from three this month.
ohcolonel6

Post by ohcolonel6 »

Steve 82 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:47 pm Counting the first half we are 30-124 from three this month.
Yeeeesh. Thanks for looking that up. I’m a big numbers nerd and I think in hoops, much like baseball, numbers tell you a lot. Numbers tell a team your tendencies and how to defend you, but more importantly tells you as a team what you should stay away from and what style of play is best for you.

It’s why I yell from the mountain tops every game to attack and why I said in my first post, we aren’t a good shooting team. That’s okay. We are athletic, we are physical. Use that. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

Our style of play in stretches, especially in our losses, feels a bit like insanity.
RollKerns

Post by RollKerns »

Part of the reason why they’re a poor shooting team is I feel like they take terrible shots. They take long 2s and wild drives that end with terrible shots. Just don’t understand it truly.
ohcolonel6

Post by ohcolonel6 »

This is the Moreno we need in every game. So smart. Doing a little bit of everything. Loved him faking the 3 from the corner to get the wrap around lay-up.

Wish our guards would take a page out of KJ Johnson’s book. Puts his head down and gets to the rim. Draws a foul.

Gotta keep moving and attacking. 3 ball still isn’t there.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

RollKerns wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:29 pm Part of the reason why they’re a poor shooting team is I feel like they take terrible shots. They take long 2s and wild drives that end with terrible shots. Just don’t understand it truly.
Too many quick shots. The games against Stetson and FCGU we moved the ball around a lot better.
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

Man. Once they got it to OT on Comer’s 3, I thought there was a chance. In OT, it looked like UNA still had another gear.
Good adjustments at half time to take the ball inside, but the outside shooting never improved.
Gotta pull it together and sweep in Florida on the road and hold on to the 3 spot.
hoopseku

Post by hoopseku »

Our rotations have changed now compared to when we were playing well. I’m no coach but some sub patterns I don’t get much. Plus forced shots and terrible shooting percentages are never a good thing.