Next year!

g--

Next year!

Post by g-- »

In spite of not making it to the OVC tournament EKU had its best overall record in 3 years with 13 wins. Also, we were only I game out of 7th place in the OVC this year. In the 3 years before this we were 3 games out of 7th place. That may not sound like much of a difference but this year we played each of the 4 top OVC teams twice. The 2 years before this we had an easier OVC schedule, with fewer games against the top 4 teams each of those years (I looked it up).

When this season began I had hoped we would move back to the top half of the OVC, but inching our way back up the OVC ladder is better than constantly sliding down the OVC ladder under McHale.

Brown, Weaver and the two Kings will be joined by Hicks next year. That sounds like a pretty good starting 5 to me.
bill54

Re: Next year!

Post by bill54 »

g-- wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:03 am In spite of not making it to the OVC tournament EKU had its best overall record in 3 years with 13 wins. Also, we were only I game out of 7th place in the OVC this year. In the 3 years before this we were 3 games out of 7th place. That may not sound like much of a difference but this year we played each of the 4 top OVC teams twice. The 2 years before this we had an easier OVC schedule, with fewer games against the top 4 teams each of those years (I looked it up).

When this season began I had hoped we would move back to the top half of the OVC, but inching our way back up the OVC ladder is better than constantly sliding down the OVC ladder under McHale.

Brown, Weaver and the two Kings will be joined by Hicks next year. That sounds like a pretty good starting 5 to me.
Though I haven't been very supportive of the way things have gone this year, I believe you're spot on. Eastern came so close. Just hitting one more foul shot in one of a couple of games would have put them in the OVC tourney. EKU beat two of the top OVC teams (JSU and APSU). It wouldn't take a lot of improvement for Eastern to be completing at the top of the conference over the next year or two.
Rosie

Post by Rosie »

Bring in some shooters...with what we have already, a few shooters will make all the difference. I saw it with EKU's opponents all year. No one plays harder than us and we are in the top echelon of the OVC in terms of athleticism. Plus, good crowds at McBrayer give us a great home court advantage.
neugie

Post by neugie »

We couldnt even shoot foul shiots to close out games major problem
g--

Post by g-- »

3/7/2019 - 2019 SG Jamon Battle (6-5, 200, 2★) has trimmed his list, and removed Eastern Kentucky from consideration.
g--

Post by g-- »

Next up for Mayo will be the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, April 17-20 in Portsmouth, Va. where 64 seniors from across the nation will play in front of 200 representatives from all 30 NBA teams as well as scouts from international leagues.

http://www.hoopville.com/2019/03/06/nic ... e-history/
colonelblitz

Post by colonelblitz »

Nice article on Nick !
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

That was a good article. But it does raise two questions for me:

1. Why did we always say he was from Oakland, ME if it's Belgrade? Is Oakland just the bigger town next to the really tiny one? I remember that my roommate at EKU was always listed as being from "Stearns, KY," but that was actually just the mailing address. He was from somewhere in McCreary County.

2. I wonder what the chances are that Nick would've grad transferred had be been in position to do so. There certainly would have been many takers. He could have stayed in state if he wanted. Louisville would have been all over that.
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

EKU05 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:24 pm That was a good article. But it does raise two questions for me:

1. Why did we always say he was from Oakland, ME if it's Belgrade? Is Oakland just the bigger town next to the really tiny one? I remember that my roommate at EKU was always listed as being from "Stearns, KY," but that was actually just the mailing address. He was from somewhere in McCreary County.

2. I wonder what the chances are that Nick would've grad transferred had be been in position to do so. There certainly would have been many takers. He could have stayed in state if he wanted. Louisville would have been all over that.
Answer to question 1 is in the article. While Nick was here as a freshman, the family moved from Belgrade to Oakland.
g--

Post by g-- »

Murray State Racers were tossed around like rag dolls and in the end lost the game 90-62. Murray State players not named Morant shot just 30.0 percent from the floor. Next year will likely be a rebuilding year for Murray State. Right now it looks like APSU, JSU and BELMONT will be the top 3 teams in the OVC next year.
Last edited by g-- on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.