Anybody headed down to Chattanooga?

GoMocs

Anybody headed down to Chattanooga?

Post by GoMocs »

If you do, safe travels.

If you need any info on restaurants/lodging/etc come on over to our board, we have a thread started

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mocnati ... =67&t=6537

Just register and ask, registration is free and immediate.

Thanks.
g--

Re: Anybody headed down to Chattanooga?

Post by g-- »

Chattanooga is a very tall team - 7players are 6-6 or taller, their center is a 7-footer;
https://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?path=mbb&

Chattanooga has played one game this year - a 80-69 season-opening win over Charlotte

- Junior guard Jerry Johnson, Jr., led the way with 18 points. He was one of eight making their Mocs debut.
- David Jean-Baptiste is the lone returning letter winner on the squad.
- Freshman guard Donnovan Toatley scored 17 points
- Senior center Thomas Smallwood tallied 14 points…7-footer was 4-5 from 3pt range…also grabbed six rebounds.
- Freshman forward Kevin Easley began his Chattanooga career with 13 points and seven rebounds.
https://gomocs.com/news/2018/11/6/mens- ... lotte.aspx

Box Score
http://stats.gomocs.com/mbasketball/2018/utc1106.htm
g--

Post by g-- »

I think we have a good shot at winning this game if we correct the mistakes BigDawgEKU pointed out in another thread – “too many turnovers, too many fouls, too many bad shots and bad defense.” “Players leaving their feet when they should not on both sides of the ball. Players picking up their dribble in bad spots leading to turnovers. Rushing shots and not letting them come in the flow of the offense and failing to get back on defense.”

I think (hope) a lot of these problems are the result of new players, a new system and early season player vanity (as in, I’m going to make myself the star on this team).

The good thing about playing Chattanooga is they should have the same kinds of problems given they only have one letter winner back from last year.- Chattanooga has the fewest returning letter winners in the nation with one (David Jean-Baptiste).
Duane Moss received a medical redshirt after playing in the first seven last season.
- The Mocs are one of 16 teams in the nation with one or fewer seniors/graduate transfers on the roster.

HEAD COACH Lamont Paris is 10-23 in his second year as a collegiate head coach - 8-8 at home, 1-14 away & 1-1 on a neutral floor.
Last edited by g-- on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
g--

Post by g-- »

Last year Chattanooga finished with an RPI rating of 311 in the warren nolan RPI rankings.

Charlotte finished with an RPI rating of 317.

Eastern Kentucky finished with an RPI rating of 287.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/rpi-live
colonel 31

Post by colonel 31 »

I am going to Chattanooga we will match up better this time out. Hope to see some of my fellow colonel fans there as well
BigDawgEKU

Post by BigDawgEKU »

Congrats coach Hamilton on your first win. Hopefully there is many more to come.

Also, Mayo is soooooo good. Makes me even more mad McHale wasted three years of his greatness.
bill54

Post by bill54 »

Great second half. You can see the improvement in this team from game to game. Things could get really interesting by conference time, if not before. And, Bradshaw will be eligible Jan 1.
g--

Post by g-- »

I’m happy we won but Chattanooga is not a good team. I hate to sound a sour note but the problem I see is Nick Mayo seems to be the only good player on the team. He had to score 40 points to pull this game out. Hobbs shot well tonight but he’s not a consistent shooter. I don’t know how well EKU can do this year with only one player who can score with any consistency.
colonelblitz

Post by colonelblitz »

g-- wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 pm I’m happy we won but Chattanooga is not a good team. I hate to sound a sour note but the problem I see is Nick Mayo seems to be the only good player on the team. He had to score 40 points to pull this game out. Hobbs shot well tonight but he’s not a consistent shooter. I don’t know how well EKU can do this year with only one player who can score with any consistency.
😂. Geez..
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

g-- wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 pm I’m happy we won but Chattanooga is not a good team. I hate to sound a sour note but the problem I see is Nick Mayo seems to be the only good player on the team. He had to score 40 points to pull this game out. Hobbs shot well tonight but he’s not a consistent shooter. I don’t know how well EKU can do this year with only one player who can score with any consistency.
g, I agree that a lot remains to be seen with regard to how good we can be, but after viewing these first three games (including the exhibition) are you really telling me that the reason you feel that way is specifically scoring? Are you watching the same team? I'd say defense is far more likely to be the culprit when we lose.

It's also worth mentioning that for many of the guys on the floor it was their second college game. Give things time to develop. In fact, I'd say to take this many young guys on the road and get a win against any D1 team is something to feel at least decent about.