Athletics teams to be cut.

bill54

Re: Athletics teams to be cut.

Post by bill54 »

EKU05 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:17 pm
bill54 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:03 pm
bill54 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:57 pm Cutting track? One of the few sports EKU has had success in (currently ranked 31 in outdoor track). Typical EKU, throwing success away. Does this include cross-country? The two (track and X-C) have 12.6 scholies combined and largely go together. I hope this is wrong.
I know construction budgets are handled differently. But I read in the latest EKU magazine that the university is constructing a new recreation facility. How about cutting that. What a hug waste of money and not needed.
People keep citing all of the building, but there are two things you have to understand about that:

1. Not all things are funded the same way. This is through the student fee, and some of the rest of it involves private financing that was procured with specific strings attached. It's not a matter of simply being able to redirect all of those funds at will.
2. Student facilities expectations are at an all-time high, and if we don't keep up with them enrollment may drop...and then the funding issue compounds itself.

I've mentioned before that I teach at a Catholic high school in Louisville that rarely sends more than 3-4 students to EKU in a given year. Our college counselor just told me this week that she's seeing more interest in EKU than she's seen in years because of what they're building on campus right now. That's important, and we have to keep that kind of things going if we hope to pull ourselves out of this mess.
I think I acknowledged that funding for construction is handled differently than other university expenses. But I'm sure considerable state dollars will be used for this project. I'd be surprised if Eastern received enough private financing to touch a project such as this.

As for student facility expectations, I agree that students expect more these days, especially dorm rooms. However, Eastern has done an enormous amount of expansion in recent years, while enrollment has remained pretty much the same since the 70's. I've seen the fitness center built a few years ago. Pretty impressive. And, the rec facilities at the student center (being renovated) and at Kidd stadium are pretty nice, assuming they're still around.
dmr55

Post by dmr55 »

bill54 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm
bill54 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:03 pm

I know construction budgets are handled differently. But I read in the latest EKU magazine that the university is constructing a new recreation facility. How about cutting that. What a hug waste of money and not needed.
People keep citing all of the building, but there are two things you have to understand about that:

1. Not all things are funded the same way. This is through the student fee, and some of the rest of it involves private financing that was procured with specific strings attached. It's not a matter of simply being able to redirect all of those funds at will.
2. Student facilities expectations are at an all-time high, and if we don't keep up with them enrollment may drop...and then the funding issue compounds itself.

I've mentioned before that I teach at a Catholic high school in Louisville that rarely sends more than 3-4 students to EKU in a given year. Our college counselor just told me this week that she's seeing more interest in EKU than she's seen in years because of what they're building on campus right now. That's important, and we have to keep that kind of things going if we hope to pull ourselves out of this mess.
I think I acknowledged that funding for construction is handled differently than other university expenses. But I'm sure considerable state dollars will be used for this project. I'd be surprised if Eastern received enough private financing to touch a project such as this.

As for student facility expectations, I agree that students expect more these days, especially dorm rooms. However, Eastern has done an enormous amount of expansion in recent years, while enrollment has remained pretty much the same since the 70's. I've seen the fitness center built a few years ago. Pretty impressive. And, the rec facilities at the student center (being renovated) and at Kidd stadium are pretty nice, assuming they're still around.
There is no state dollars for the new rec center it is financed by student fees only
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

dmr55 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 pm
bill54 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm

There is no state dollars for the new rec center it is financed by student fees only
dmr is correct. I know the optics are tough, but these building projects will help EKU rebound.
g--

Post by g-- »

Also – the recently finished state of the art Science Building, which was fully funded with state dollars, is the largest and best equipped Science Building at any University in Kentucky. It is said that it will attract a large increased in enrollment of students interested in science degrees.
g--

Post by g-- »

This was just announced;

Athletics returns to the levels of 2013-14 in line with peer OVC institutions. The most significant change in Athletics is the elimination of our women’s and men’s tennis programs. The University will honor any scholarship commitments should student-athletes on these teams choose to remain at EKU, or offer assistance for a successful transfer to another institution.
g--

Post by g-- »

It has just been announced that the Music Department is eliminating the marching band. It was also announced that the Athletic Department will be responsible for providing their own music at football games.

http://kentuckytoday.com/stories/marchi ... -eku,12784
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

g-- wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:28 pm It has just been announced that the Music Department is eliminating the marching band. It was also announced that the Athletic Department will be responsible for providing their own music at football games.

http://kentuckytoday.com/stories/marchi ... -eku,12784
This is kind of a bummer, and to inform my perspective I'll mention that my roommate of three years at EKU was a Marching Colonel. He's now married to another former Marching Colonel. It's a shame when great traditions end.

With that having been said, as a Louisville fan I know that U of L athletics took over at some of the band stuff a number of years back. Not much has changed in terms of the actual gameday experience, so it's possible this won't be as publicly noticeable as we think. Maybe it will. Who the heck knows?