New coach..

panthers502

New coach..

Post by panthers502 »

If lochmuller was smart he go after pitino. Doesn't need the money. Yes there is baggage.. but would put eku on the map bc of his name and would get nationally televised games. He also needs to restore his image. Second choice would be darin horn, third John Phelprey. Last and the one who makes most sense would be Jeff neubaur. Fordam is impossible to win at. I think he regrets leaving. Thoughts?
g--

Re: New coach..

Post by g-- »

No way I want Pitino at EKU. That would be like bringing the honey wagon (manure wagon) from the dairy farm into the arena and spreading it knee deep.
Last edited by g-- on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdw733

Post by Jdw733 »

panthers502 wrote:If lochmuller was smart he go after pitino. Doesn't need the money. Yes there is baggage.. but would put eku on the map bc of his name and would get nationally televised games. He also needs to restore his image. Second choice would be darin horn, third John Phelprey. Last and the one who makes most sense would be Jeff neubaur. Fordam is impossible to win at. I think he regrets leaving. Thoughts?
1. There is absolutely no way they go after Pitino. None. He was apart of one of the worst scandals in the history of college basketball. Truthfully I do not think he ever coaches again. He is nuclear. As far as repairing his image, let some other DIII school do that. Go to Bellarmine.

2. I do not think Horn is a realistic choice either. Not because I do not think he would be a good coach, but I honestly think the OVC is too much of a back step. He was a successful HC in the Sun Belt, a HC in the SEC, and now a top assistant in a top 4 conference. My guess is he lands at Colorado St.

3. Again same with Pelphrey, once you are a HC in the SEC and a top assistant at another SEC school, I do not see someone taking such a gigantic leap backwards. The OVC is place for guys to get their first chance as a HC at the D1 level(Ford, Neubauer, McHale), or another chance/better chance from a similar place. Major conference assistants really only will consider this job if they have never been a HC before. And for that reason I think Horn and Pelphrey are out.

4. To semi quote the aforementioned Rick Pitino-- Jeff Neubauer is not walking through that door. He does not regret leaving at all. And Fordham is not impossible to win at, just not easy. Neubauer wants the challenge. All things considered he has done very well there, took them to a post season for the first time in a very long time, and just got a contract extension. A little insight, he tried leaving after both NCAA appearances just did not pan out.
panthers502

Post by panthers502 »

OK I understand your point on pitino.. I agree I can't stand him either. I'm looking at from a point of marketing and putting eku on a different level nationally. Also who would u suggest?? I put 4 options out there..
bill54

Post by bill54 »

panthers502 wrote:OK I understand your point on pitino.. I agree I can't stand him either. I'm looking at from a point of marketing and putting eku on a different level nationally. Also who would u suggest?? I put 4 options out there..
The Richie Riley prediction (from "Insider") sounds like a good fit. Coach Riley has HC experience and substantial coaching experience as an assistant at several D1 programs, turned Nicholls State around in just two years, and has an EKU/KY connection. Plus, if I understand things correctly, he would get a huge raise $$ if he came to EKU.
EKU96

Post by EKU96 »

I would hope and pray he would get the job, he is a winner, great recruiter, and has proven he can turn a dismal program around in a short amount of time! Played at EKU and is from Kentucky! This would be a no Brainer IMO! From what I was told he wanted job before at EKU and NKU but needed more time to prove himself. He has definitely done that now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
panthers502

Post by panthers502 »

Look I'm a eku grad in the fall of 06. I just don't get why eku can't be the Belmont of the ovc. We're have good facilities and is one if not the biggest school in the ovc. Why we can't get good recruiting and be a top 2/3 schools on a consistent basis. Jsu was a nobody in basketball and made a perfect hire. We need a guy who can recruit and build. Mayo was neubauers recruit. Davis is decent, boyd had potential but the others are imo d2 players. I'm not trying to be harsh but I watch majority of games on the ovc network and come to a football and basketball game once a yr. It's frustrating to me.
VACOLONEL

Post by VACOLONEL »

There have been a number of credible recommendations and I would like to add another one that knows the culture of the school and community and that is Josh Merkel. He is a ‘01 graduate of Salisbury (MD), 4 year letter winner on the basketball team, captain his sr. year. Possess a M. A. In PE from EKU ‘07. Graduate Assistant at WVU ‘04-05 with Beilein. From 04-10 served as an assistant at EKU with JN. From 10-11 was an assistant at Randolph Macon College (Ashland, VA). Returned to his alma mater and led Salisbury to a 66-41 from ‘11-15. Was chosen the HC at RMC in ‘15 and has led them to a 13-14, 17-9 and current 16-6 record during the last 3 years. He followed Nathan Davis now at Bucknell and Mike Rhoades, Rice and currently at VCU. Like some of JN’s other assistants, who have been previously mentioned, was part of a successful basketball program at EKU versus the embarrassing and utterly frustrating mess we’ve got now. I personally didn’t realize how well we had it. While I am fond of Josh and what he brings to the table a change needs to be made and I’m sure some of the other names (not Petino) will bring credibility, honor and respect back to this position.
Go Colonels!
neugie

Post by neugie »

Nice post Va Colonel Insightful Enjoyed hearing your perspective
panthers502

Post by panthers502 »

There is still an outside chance eku can get in the final 8.. if that happens I believe mcchale will be back. Especially with all the injuries. If they win 3 of the 4 and eiu and siue falters then eku is in. I'm still hoping that happens. I think Dan is a good guy and really loves eku. I'm pulling for him. Do I think he freezes down the stretch? Yes I do but he is young and wants it badly. I'm still a colonel 4 life. And will pull for him. I also think there may be a scenario were he may take a pay cut to stay. I can see that happening too. Never the less. Let's swe what these young colonels have down the stretch