Next Year!

ekubg

Re: Next Year!

Post by ekubg »

I think Chitty can be a contributor. He shows some good skill at times, but poor judgment more often! But, I think he can develop into a 10-15 minute per game player. In other words, his head is more of an issue than his basketball ability. I agree that Anderson doesn't look like a D-1 player. Tae Weaver was impressive prior to all the injuries. I don't think he can be counted on for any major minutes. It's a plus if he develops into any type of contributor.

I liked Dishman's development prior to the injury. It's the same injury he had in high school, which makes me question what type of shape he can ever get into. I've heard great things about Jackson Davis, so if he can be any kind of offensive threat, he'll take away double teams from Mayo. It's was rough, but you could see better communication between Gist and Mayo. Give them more time and more players around them and this team will be totally different next year. I also like Charles's grit and determination around the basket. Marlon Adams also showed flashes of that same type of grit. We need a forward opposite of Mayo that will rebound and just clean up garbage for 8-10 points a game. Defensively, we saw great improvement, but they were too thin to play aggressively and not get in foul trouble.
Get some contributions from a couple freshmen and I'm very optimistic about next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
neugie

Post by neugie »

Sae We both want to see EKU do well I have been a fan since 1968 Graduated in 1970
g--

Post by g-- »

After all the hype I was surprised to see this;

OVC Freshman of the Year: Denzel Mahoney, Southeast Missouri
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Maybe that will have Gist play with a chip on his shoulder next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
g--

Post by g-- »

Colonel12, I hope you’re right!

On another topic, Jacksonville State which was at the bottom of the OVC last year and has a new first year coach is in the 2017 OVC Men's Basketball Championship Finals.

#2 UT Martin vs. #4 Jacksonville State
g--

Post by g-- »

As of right now Jacksonville State is beating UT Martin 37 to 27.
ekubg

Post by ekubg »

Soooo, the team EKU beat twice in league play is the OVC representative to the NCAA tournament. I think this tells us two things: the Colonels are not that far away; the league was down this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
g--

Post by g-- »

Actually, the league has been down for the past 2 years. Last year APSU (a team always at the bottom of the OVC) was the OVC representative to the NCAA tournament. Would that mean the OVC is pretty evenly balanced? Remember that JSU was picked to finish dead last in the OVC this year.
g--

Post by g-- »

I guess there’s another way to look at this. Maybe JSU hired a new coach who took a team that was the worst team in the OVC and spent his first year developing the team into the new OVC power house team. Next year he will get more of his own players instead of having to work with the players he inherited (players who were unable to beat anyone last year).

First-year coach Ray Harper took Western Kentucky to a pair of NCAA tournaments in 2012 and 2013, and won a total of four national championships in Division II with Kentucky Wesleyan and Oklahoma City in the NAIA.

There’s probably some other way to understand it too. Any ideas?
g--

Post by g-- »

The OVC may look different next season;

Next year APSU will have a new coach - Dave Loos has announced his retirement after 27 years as head men's basketball coach.

Morehead fans also want a new coach at Morehead.

Some at Murray are calling for McMahon's head.