Next Year!

pmg911

Re: Next Year!

Post by pmg911 »

Colonel1991 wrote:
pmg911 wrote:Guys that try and put the season on McHale really don't know the game.

The team was crushed by injury and hurt by circumstances beyond any coaches control.

This was a clear rebuild year and a lot of kids got valuable experience.

Judge the coach next year when the his has HIS players and a healthy roster...

Obviously PMG911 is a big fan of Mchale and thinks that anybody that isn't his fan doesn't know basketball. What we do know is that before your buddy became the head coach, we consistently won 20 games per year, made our conference tournament, and even won our conference tournament. To say that this was a "clear rebuild" and "kids got valuable experience" is somewhat troubling. We've come to expect more, but understand that you don't really know the history of what's happened with EKU basketball over the last 20-30 years.

I think we are all optimistic about next year and haven't heard of anyone that has decided to leave as of yet. I wouldn't say this team was "crushed" by injury. We lost Tay Weaver (which was a huge blow) early on and then Dishman at the end when we were already out of contention. I know McGlone battled problems as well. The JBH situation definitely rattled the team, but as mentioned before, they played well for a few weeks without him.

I think Neubauer left Mchale maybe the future All time leading scorer in EKU history. Hopefully, HIS (Mchales) players can find a way to get us to the postseason next year. And if they don't, I'm sure he won't be to blame
Mayo has been nothing short of spectacular at EKU but please don't make it seem like he was some hot recruit when he came to EKU..

Two star player coming out of high school - he was clearly under the radar and should have been higher ranked - but some of you guys make it seem like the current staff inherited a MAA....
Maroon Forever

Post by Maroon Forever »

pmg911 wrote:
Maroon Forever wrote:I'm offended by the nine-post obvious McHale proxy telling us we don't understand the game. I was a student of basketball before McHale was a lustful thought. I am charitable enough to concede him another year before I add my voice to the multitudes. Do HIS players include Mayo?
McHale proxy - is that anything like a Trump Proxy - if so, all I can say is thank you...

If you have been studying basketball since before McHale was a twinkle in his Daddy's eye, then you know I am right...

When any Div I coach is forced to give minutes to players who would normally not be on the court, you can't blame the coach - or the kids for that matter.

Judge a guy when he has a roster full of his guys or inherits a STACKED team - McHale has had neither at EKU.

Did I not concede him another year? I need to see if it's been bad breaks or poor coaching. The jury is still out in my mind. And, yes it's pretty obvious you are carrying his water.
g--

Post by g-- »

pmg911 wrote; “Judge a guy when he has a roster full of his guys or inherits a STACKED team - McHale has had neither at EKU.”

I’ve been trying to stay out of this discussion because I think we have a good chance to do well next year in spite of McHale – so I thought why argue about something that’s not important. However, your attitude is as arrogant as the guy you’re defending. No wonder you like him. You both share the same personality flaw.

Your belief that McHale didn’t inherit a "STACKED team" is mistaken. These are the players McHale inherited from Jeff Neubauer; Paul Jackson, Isaac McGlone, Nick Mayo, Jaylen Babb-Harrison, JaVontae Hawkins, Jonathan Hood, K.J. Bluford and Ja'Mill Powell. Stacked – maybe not, but very good players who with the right coach were good enough to be a top 4 team in the OVC. Jeff Neubauer would have not only gotten into the OVC tournament with these players but he would have won a few games in the OVC tournament.

Speaking of Jeff Neubauer, when your idol McHale first stepped on this campus he insulted Jeff Neubauer. That........ is low class.

I’m not suggesting I think McHale can’t be a good coach someday. He’ll grow into the job. The problem is right now he’s young, big-headed, short on some basketball knowledge (for example how to close out a game) and so full of himself he can’t see his shortcomings.

You also mentioned Mayo. He was a two star player coming out of high school because he was from a tiny state that didn’t produce many, if any, good basketball players. Without Mayo on this team McHale would have had trouble winning any games at all.

One last thought - the new first year coach at Jacksonville State didn't inherit a STACKED team but he won the OVC tournament with players who were picked to finish last in the OVC.

I guess you can tell you’ve pissed me off.
Colonel1991

Post by Colonel1991 »

Well said G... I think most of us are more baffled my the 1st Year of the McHale era than the 2nd. His first year we had Mayo , Hawkins, and Reischell. I could be wrong here, but I think Hawkins led Fordham in scoring this year and may have been top 10 in the Atlantic 10 in scoring.

PMG, excuse me for not knowing what MAA stands for, but what does it matter what Mayo was rated out of high school? He is a Colonel and we should all be thankful that he is. Should we wait until Mayo graduates to judge McHale since Mayo was not his recruit? From my understanding, Mayo and McGlone were the only non Mchale guys on the team this past season. McGlone is now gone, so maybe we beee to wait Mayo out before we pass judgement. Give me a break.

I think we all want to give McHale another chance for next year with possibly a good team, but you aren't helping the cause with some of the things you say.
Colonel1991

Post by Colonel1991 »

One more observation is what about our assistant coaches? We put a lot of blame on McHale, but I've always heard you are only as good as your assistants. I know Gaines played high level NCAA and also in the NBA. I don't know that anyone else on the staff has any playing experience??? I liked what I saw last year with Mike Bradley and Davenport and then all of a sudden they were gone. Does anyone know why they left? Better jobs? Also see Austen Newton at every home game. Was he not retained by Mchale or did he choose a different path? How does everyone else feel about our staff.
g--

Post by g-- »

Mike Bradley was fired;

http://mycn2.com/spectrum-sports/eku-le ... el-bradley

You’re right about Hawkins. This year he was the top (#1) Fordham player in; total points, 3 point FG%, and FT%, also was 4th in FG% , and was 3rd in steals, and was 2nd on the team for number of rebounds.

If I recall correctly he said at the time he left EKU he wanted to play for a good coach.
dmr55

Post by dmr55 »

Colonel1991 wrote:Well said G... I think most of us are more baffled my the 1st Year of the McHale era than the 2nd. His first year we had Mayo , Hawkins, and Reischell. I could be wrong here, but I think Hawkins led Fordham in scoring this year and may have been top 10 in the Atlantic 10 in scoring.

PMG, excuse me for not knowing what MAA stands for, but what does it matter what Mayo was rated out of high school? He is a Colonel and we should all be thankful that he is. Should we wait until Mayo graduates to judge McHale since Mayo was not his recruit? From my understanding, Mayo and McGlone were the only non Mchale guys on the team this past season. McGlone is now gone, so maybe we beee to wait Mayo out before we pass judgement. Give me a break.

I think we all want to give McHale another chance for next year with possibly a good team, but you aren't helping the cause with some of the things you say.
Mayo could have chosen to not come to EKU since Coach N left before he got here Coach Mchale went to Maine after he was hired and Mayo stuck with EKU. Hawkins did lead Fordham in scoring but Fordham did finish the season 11-19 after a winning season last year.
g--

Post by g-- »

Austin Peay basketball’s leading scorer, Josh Robinson has been suspended indefinitely. He was charged with manufacture, delivery of a Schedule VI drug (marijuana) and a simple possession charge for marijuana. The junior guard led Austin Peay in scoring for most of the season and was one of the top shooters in the Ohio Valley Conference.
g--

Post by g-- »

Here's the APSU fan forum thread on Josh Robinson;

http://apsugovs.proboards.com/thread/40 ... -suspended
neugie

Post by neugie »

Congrats to Belmont They won their first NIT game They are the class of the OVC