Random conference scenario I thought about

EKU05

Random conference scenario I thought about

Post by EKU05 »

I think about the conference situation a lot as I suspect many of us do. Since this is a discussion board, allow me to throw out a wild, probably impossible scenario just to see what thoughts anyone has or what holes you can shoot in it (and I'm *certain* there are many).

It seems likely that the Mountain West will be invited in its entirety by Oregon State/Washington State to join the PAC-X at some point. Given that scenario, what if...

The UAC (and possibly other interested schools) approached the Mountain West and proposed the following:

1. Just before they officially accept their PAC-X invitations, they invite the UAC to join the Mountain West.
2. In exchange, we provide them with something. Maybe it's a payment plan. Maybe it's an agreement to play a specified number of games against them at their stadiums with greatly reduced payouts. Maybe it's something else. They'd probably vote to dissolve it otherwise, so anything they could get for the shell of the conference is better than the nothing they get otherwise.
3. The UAC now has a charter to exist as an FBS conference, and I suppose in theory we're part of the CFP club, though I wouldn't rule out legal challenges given the overhaul in membership.
4. Obviously, we could change the name of the conference to the UAC or whatever we wanted it to be.

Perhaps there would be other interested schools given that we have a partially western footprint in the UAC. Dakotas? Montanas? Does Idaho want back in the game? Any other MVFC schools that would like a foot in the FBS door? McNeese? Lamar?

Back East, would UConn accept a lifeline to join as a football-only associate? Jackson State? Tennessee State? Chattanooga?

Anyway...fire away. Crush my dream!
EKULFan

Re: Random conference scenario I thought about

Post by EKULFan »

Actually not a (best case scenario) but a decent conference.

The Dakotas and Montana programs are very good and would enhance any conference. Chatty also would be a good program and great facilities.

I'm not sure they are in the FBS mind set at this time! :(

Everything going on out West is mind boggling... I'm anxious to see how that one plays out

UConn would be great as a football only team.

Not so sure about Jackson State or Tennessee State!

My thoughts on the Eastern Division:

Army (football only), UConn, UMass (if available) Delaware and EKU.

Love this kind of (day dreaming) banter and individual thoughts!

One can only HOPE!
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

Best we can hope for is Sun Belt takes us if they lose one or takes both us and Austin Peay in an expansion……wku and mtsu will keep both of us out of cusa or maybe we could backfill the MAC if Buffalo was to leave
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

The crazy scenario: The scenario that has had a lot of smoke recently is the FSU news. Big ten boards are all over it and the trickle down from it.

ACC would lose 2 schools to big ten and 2 to big 12 if FSU breaks the rights. FSU Clemson to Big 10 and Duke UNC to Big 12.
They would backfill with Pac 2 (Wazzu and Oregon State), USF and a team closer to the west coast giving the conference an East and West division for sports to cut down on travel for non football sports.

Mountain West would take UTEP and NMSU to give them stability. American would go after Liberty to fill USF.

CUSA would need to fill 3 spots to get to 12. Mizzou State, Tarleton, then either us or Umass.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

My scenario could also include an offer of football-only membership to UMass. It seems they may be about to join C-USA, but there is a camp in Amherst that doesn't want to pull basketball out of the A10. We could offer them a scenario where they don't have to.