Why not EKU? FBS post

EKU05

Re: Why not EKU? FBS post

Post by EKU05 »

I should also add to this discussion, that part of why we keep getting left out is that new schools become interested. We were a close call for C-USA when they were down and out and desperate, but now that they've stabilized a little, another schools want it. Two years ago we didn't have to compete with Delaware or UMass, state flagship institutions. Now we do.

No one is going to choose us just for the fun of expanding a little. We don't "move the needle" for a conference in that way. We need a conference that desperately needs a member, not one that has the option to bide its time.
ekupops

Post by ekupops »

Well that's depressing! I think the best hope we have is to win games. Regain the monitor of pre-annual favorites, and go back to a natural grass field.
Go Colonels!
Eternal Colonel

Post by Eternal Colonel »

...every contributor to this discussion has made good points.

Sadly, I don't know if joining FBS and bringing in the likes of Kennesaw State, Appalachian State, MTSU,
or even WKU every other year will return us to the "packed" RKS of our memories. The often repeated
(and correct) premise that our greatest challenge lies 25 miles north has never been more correct.

There's nothing that can be done about it, either.

I'll never forget during the Championships era ('79-'82) I got my Herald Leader delivered the Sunday after
our victory that gave us the N/C. On the front page was an above-the-fold feature about a basketball
win over #1 ranked Indiana by UK. In December.

For the record, our story was on the Sports Section front page, and above the fold.

We don't/won't have the media as does WKU, Marshall, and I'm sure myriad other former opponents/competitors
from bygone days. Nor do they have their states "flagship" looming over them.

I do not have answers or solutions. As you can see, "winning" wasn't enough then, and likely will never be.

Go Colonels !!
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Sadly, I don't know if joining FBS and bringing in the likes of Kennesaw State, Appalachian State, MTSU,
or even WKU every other year will return us to the "packed" RKS of our memories.
It definitely will not (except maybe the WKU game), but I don't know if that's really the point of why we're pursuing it.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

Looks like we will need to consider FBS Independent and schedule ole rivals like Marshall, WKU, Middle Tennessee etc and throw in some FCS schools to complete the schedule……
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

ekugrad1970 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:17 pm Looks like we will need to consider FBS Independent and schedule ole rivals like Marshall, WKU, Middle Tennessee etc and throw in some FCS schools to complete the schedule……
I'm not inherently against that, but it assumes two things:

1. That the NCAA would even grant us a waiver to do it as an independent. It's possible, but not a guarantee. We might have to spend money on a lawsuit to make it happen.

2. What is in it for those schools to use their 3-4 nonconference games on us? They probably all play two money games and an FCS team to get a guaranteed home game. That leaves, at best, one game of wiggle room. The logistics of getting the teams we really want to play to play us consistently are not as easy as it seems.
Last edited by EKU05 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

No easy solution…..
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

ekugrad1970 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:01 pm No easy solution…..
No doubt. We're in a really tough spot right now.

Sometimes I think about two years ago when, for about a week, it looked likely that WKU and MTSU were going to the MAC. We'd have almost assuredly been C-USA bound.

How things could have been different.
RollKerns

Post by RollKerns »

I mean guys I hate to be this guy, but everyone here does know that being an FBS independent is just completely impossible right? Like “yes Liberty blah blah” but they have more money, nicer facilities, more NIL, professional schools everything that eastern does not have. It’s a non-starter and simply impossible.

Why is EKU not FBS? They had a leg up for a long time I would think. Look I have no idea what happened back in the 80s or 90s or whenever else. But I know when I got on campus in the 2010s it was a joke. Facilities were awful all around both at the university and athletically. Somehow they won a little in both football & basketball I’m assuming mostly because of the name in football and Walden and Stutz were fantastic and rare program greats.

Blame whatever you shall but EKU was not a FBS school when the sunbelt asked outside of program history and fan support.

Now, I think it’s close. I still don’t know if they’re all the way there but it’s super close. On the cusp I’d say.

Nearly all brand new dorms. Good looking classroom facilities. Increasing enrollment. Investment in high paying academic programs and not just regional needs. -Some- investment in athletic programs and facilities. It’s come a long way.

But I still completely understand why Eastern is left out when I take off the Maroon colored glasses. Like attendance is really good at our home games. But it’s mostly a gimmick where free tickets are given out like crazy. It’s not genuine fan engagement (although I REALLY REALLY love branding yourself as a cheaper/easier/more family friendly football experience compared to UK). We don’t have many wealthy donors because we don’t produce careers that make you wealthy (doctors, lawyers, etc). And Roy Kidd stadium is one of the worst facilities I’ve ever been to for football. And I think I went to every OVC stadium other than Eastern Illinois. I was jealous of Jax St players because of how much nicer and well kept their facility was. On top of all of it eastern has has minimal success in any sport since I’ve been a fan outside of a cool CBI run last year and the 2014 playoff team that was upset by Indiana St.

Nothing about eastern currently says FBS school except
1. Growing Madison County Area
2. Maybe football attendance. Which will change when they play weekday CUSA games.
3. University facilities that still need some improvement.

I want it so bad I check the other conference message boards all the time. But when I do a gut check I realize that it really seems and feels impossible unless something crazy happens.

Want the University to go all in and do something that measures up? Do not compete as an FBS independent. Do the following:

1. Completely rebuild RKS from scratch
2. Charge student athletic fees every semester
3. Dramatically raise the athletic budget
4. WIN a NCAA tournament game (football or basketball)
5. Invest in professional programs (even if it means partnering with UK or UL or any state institution).
6. Vote for legislatures that a pro education and progressive to encourage young people or investment in the area.

That’s what the leap of faith needs to be. EKU isn’t FBS because they haven’t deserved to be in my time as a fan. And currently I’m not sold they deserve to be either.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

I mean guys I hate to be this guy, but everyone here does know that being an FBS independent is just completely impossible right? Like “yes Liberty blah blah” but they have more money, nicer facilities, more NIL, professional schools everything that eastern does not have. It’s a non-starter and simply impossible.
I used to be against it for the same reasons, but here's the reality.

When spots come open, preference is almost automatically given to schools that don't have to make the transition (even if they suck). We need every advantage we can get. So when I say that I'm at least entertaining the idea of going as an independent, I'm saying it well aware that we won't be good. We'll probably schedule 2-3 FCS teams just to get a few token wins. It's an enormous gamble for sure, but I'm not sure that we can afford to continue to sit here and hope our luck changes.

We're caught between a rock and a hard place, as the saying goes.