2023 Austin Peay

Braxton

Re: 2023 Austin Peay

Post by Braxton »

dmr55 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:43 pm
Braxton wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:51 pm
Colonel12 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:00 pm USC fired their DC after giving up 56 points to a really good Washington team.

What's holding us back from making changes?
Because EKU is stuck in the past, and runs a high school organization where politics still matter. We believe anyone who is an Eastern guy deserves a job, especially if they played for Coach Kidd, ironically, by doing so, we’re doing our very best week by week and year by year to tear down everything that Coach Kidd built.

Walt Wells was hired because he was one of Roy Kid’s guys, not because of his football knowledge. Mark Elder was fired because he was not a Roy Kidd guy, although a far superior football coach.

Jake Johnson is employed by EKU because he’s an alum, and his wife is/was employed by the school, not for any other reason than that.

How do you tell you have a poor staff? Not a single one has gone on to a bigger or better job. Compare that to Elder - there were only 3 original coaches remaining his last game - with all moving up divisions, or even leagues.

If Jake Johnson is not fired at the end of this season, you can stick a fork in this football program.
Elder had a 21-24 record as head coach
Correct. And was let go too soon. Firing a coaching right after we beat Jacksonville State at their place is real peachy, but for those that know, Walt had already been hand picked before that season ever began.

What is Walt’s record again..?
- FIRE JAKE JOHNSON -
Westside

Post by Westside »

I don't think Elder was a better a coach than Wells.
Braxton

Post by Braxton »

Westside wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:04 am I don't think Elder was a better a coach than Wells.
Wells does not coach, he sits there at practice talking to donors. He delegates, he just delegates to horrible assistant coaches. His in game decision making is terrible.

Elder is a better football coach, as is Dean Hood. The only thing Wells does better than the 2, was promote and grow game day excitement.
- FIRE JAKE JOHNSON -
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

That's fair, but the performance of his teams trended upward from his first season on. I supported the decision to cut ties with him at the time, largely because of the contract situation. But in hindsight, I tend to think we'd be in at least slightly better shape if we'd kept him.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

EKU05 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:04 am
That's fair, but the performance of his teams trended upward from his first season on. I supported the decision to cut ties with him at the time, largely because of the contract situation. But in hindsight, I tend to think we'd be in at least slightly better shape if we'd kept him.
Interesting note. The OC Elder's last year, Adam Austin, is now QB coach and passing game co-ordinator at Tarleton St.
Eternal Colonel

Post by Eternal Colonel »

...there's likely little chance Wells will be replaced at seasons end.

Honestly, I'm OK with that. For now.

If we're still stuck in mediocrity this time next year, then we move on
and further our now growing tendency toward "turn-stiling" our HC with
first time HC's who last 4 seasons each; the exceptions being Coach Kidd
(39 seasons/retirement), and Coach Hope who left EKU for a life-changing
opportunity in the Big 10.

I sincerely want Wells to succeed; but...2024 is likely his last shot.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Wells does not coach, he sits there at practice talking to donors. He delegates, he just delegates to horrible assistant coaches. His in game decision making is terrible.

Elder is a better football coach, as is Dean Hood. The only thing Wells does better than the 2, was promote and grow game day excitement.
Two things:

1. I thought Elder was a great promoter...probably the best we've had in that regard. Wells has also been good at this aspect of the job. I think they just reach different segments of the fanbase effectively.

2. With regard to Wells' in-game decision making...there is definitely some evidence of him not being a good on-the-fly manager of a game. I still can't get over not spiking the ball against SEMO. How on earth did he think we were going to get that FG off? And even if we technically got it off it would have been so rushed I doubt it would have gone.

That said...Dean Hood had a few of those too. Does anyone remember the gross mismanagement of timeouts at IU that very likely cost us a win over a Big 10 opponent?

But to be clear, I *am not* calling for Wells to be fired this year. As rough as it's been at times, you still get the feeling that we're not that far away from being pretty good. With that having been said, be better have someone to make up for the lack of Parker McKinney magic next year, and we better hit the portal for some DBs or I don't see things getting much better.
martinhall1966

Post by martinhall1966 »

Danny Hope was the last Head Coach that I thought was up to the task. He didn't mince words and ticked people off, but he won football games. He won big games in the Big Ten. He was a rare bird. Our lack of success in hiring Head Coaches from the ranks of Assistant Coaches has created our mediocrity. I realize that our HC salary is limited , but I would think it is sufficient to attract FCS coaches with proven records. Eg. Jason Simpson is a consistent winner at UT Martin making , I think, much less than EKU's HC salary. I don't know if it is feasible or makes sense with other coaches, but I know what we're doing is not working. I know from my experience in hiring managers in the finance business, good assistant managers don't always make good managers. It is a big step. Go Colonels!
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

The IU game specifically came to mind with me for Hood. He was trying to be the DC as well as HC and was with.the defense during that last drive. At least that is what it looked like from the stands.
And1

Post by And1 »

Is EKU football treading in an upward direction? To me, the answer is no.