EKU Gardner-Webb 2.0

Eternal Colonel

Re: EKU Gardner-Webb 2.0

Post by Eternal Colonel »

bigchill64 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:47 pm I knew Coach Hood is at Murray, thought would be if they made a change would we or he consider coming back as our DC.
...Hood is probably making similar money to Wells (at EKU) as HC at Murray.

I seriously doubt EKU would pony up the money to buy him out and then pay HC
money to Hood to be a coordinator...
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

And1 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:38 am There's been a lot of chatter the last couple of days in Richmond. If there are some elements of truth behind it, a major shake up is coming to Walt Wells' staff in the off season.
I sensed that based on what he said in the press conference.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

And1 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:38 am There's been a lot of chatter the last couple of days in Richmond. If there are some elements of truth behind it, a major shake up is coming to Walt Wells' staff in the off season.
It needs to be Walt gone.
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

Tre Lamb leaving G-W to become the HC at ETSU.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Do they want Walt and Jake?
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
eku022

Post by eku022 »

Colonel12 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:16 pm Do they want Walt and Jake?
I don't think Walt is the problem. A better defense and I believe we are a 8 or 9 win team. The offense under Mckinney was fine. Our defense couldn't stop a middle school team running the Wing T if they tried. Jake needs to be moved back to a position coach or not retained.

I'm more interested in who will be filling Parker's role. I'm excited to see what Hergott can do.
DannyHopesGhost

Post by DannyHopesGhost »

Walt is PART of the problem. As head coach, that comes with the pay check. However, the defense showed flashes, but constantly was burned getting caught out of position or outschemed. We actually had a very very good D line talent but not enough depth. And the d backs… I’m going to stop before I violate my cardinal rule about not calling out players.

But Jake is absolutely the core of the problem and needs to go. I’m sorry, I hate saying that about a Colonel alum, but facts are facts. He was often soundly out coached.

Rumor I have heard is Jake has not been fired yet but has been told he needs to be looking elsewhere.
eku022

Post by eku022 »

DannyHopesGhost wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:43 am Walt is PART of the problem. As head coach, that comes with the pay check. However, the defense showed flashes, but constantly was burned getting caught out of position or outschemed. We actually had a very very good D line talent but not enough depth. And the d backs… I’m going to stop before I violate my cardinal rule about not calling out players.

But Jake is absolutely the core of the problem and needs to go. I’m sorry, I hate saying that about a Colonel alum, but facts are facts. He was often soundly out coached.

Rumor I have heard is Jake has not been fired yet but has been told he needs to be looking elsewhere.
I think his allegiance to Jake is the problem. He knows how bad the defense is everyone can see it. I'm sure he has a personal relationship with Jake and gave him a longer leash than what he should have. Jake should have been replaced honestly last year.

Again, with a better defense we are a 8- or 9-win team the last two years.
DannyHopesGhost

Post by DannyHopesGhost »

eku022 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:56 pm
DannyHopesGhost wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:43 am Walt is PART of the problem. As head coach, that comes with the pay check. However, the defense showed flashes, but constantly was burned getting caught out of position or outschemed. We actually had a very very good D line talent but not enough depth. And the d backs… I’m going to stop before I violate my cardinal rule about not calling out players.

I think his allegiance to Jake is the problem. He knows how bad the defense is everyone can see it. I'm sure he has a personal relationship with Jake and gave him a longer leash than what he should have. Jake should have been replaced honestly last year.

Again, with a better defense we are a 8- or 9-win team the last two years.
I think it’s less loyalty to Jake and more loyalty to Lewis Diaz. My understanding (and I could be wrong), was more that Jake was pushed by Lewis. I know Lewis is not the chair anymore, but Walt IS loyal to those whom he trusts and I guess was slower to pull the trigger on Jake as a result. But facts are facts, the D as a whole needs to improve. And that starts with getting Jake out of the DC role. As I’ve heard, that is happening though. Whether he leaves completely or steps out of DC role is the only question. I’ve heard he’s been told to look elsewhere though. I guess we will see.