Death Spiral

GoldenBear

Re: Death Spiral

Post by GoldenBear »

ColonelFan22 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:54 am Very cynical. I think you are wrong about a lot of this. Why would AP be ahead of us? If this were to happen, I will be very disappointed! Our average attendance last year was higher than AP and although not great better than your stated 10,000. If you were referring to last night, I think at a least a fourth of the fans either didn’t get in or turned around when the rain started. One thing for certain, we can’t keep losing games we should win! People/fans/students will not support a losing season with their attendance!
Like most, I am/was disappointed with the loss(es) this season but, I don’t understand why the EKU fan base will only support their team(s) with their attendance if they are winning. If that’s true then in addition to not having a very good team right now, we are probably the lamest fan base in the country. JMHO, now is the time to support our team. Anyhow, I hope the team gets on track and I hope we have a great crowd next Saturday.
FormerColonel08

Post by FormerColonel08 »

Steve 82 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:40 pm
FormerColonel08 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:34 pm You know this administration didn’t hire Walt right? Walt was hired before Matt was. Diaz hired Walt, who no longer works at Eku.
They didn't hire Wells. But did do an extension through 2026.
Just because he extended him doesn’t mean he can’t be let go. Extending him could make the buyout cheaper for the department. There are a lot of things that go into an extension. So unless we know every single detail in the contract don’t assume extending him means we are locked in for longer.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

FormerColonel08 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:32 pm
Steve 82 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:40 pm
FormerColonel08 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:34 pm You know this administration didn’t hire Walt right? Walt was hired before Matt was. Diaz hired Walt, who no longer works at Eku.
They didn't hire Wells. But did do an extension through 2026.
Just because he extended him doesn’t mean he can’t be let go. Extending him could make the buyout cheaper for the department. There are a lot of things that go into an extension. So unless we know every single detail in the contract don’t assume extending him means we are locked in for longer.
Didn't say it stopped us from letting him go. All I was pointing out was there is an extension done by the current administration. No financial details were released when it was done.
And1

Post by And1 »

The Richmond Register seemed to enjoy the WCU game:

"Colonels fall to 0-3 for first time since 2005"
Eternal Colonel

Post by Eternal Colonel »

ColonelFan22 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:54 am Very cynical. I think you are wrong about a lot of this. Why would AP be ahead of us? If this were to happen, I will be very disappointed! Our average attendance last year was higher than AP and although not great better than your stated 10,000. If you were referring to last night, I think at a least a fourth of the fans either didn’t get in or turned around when the rain started. One thing for certain, we can’t keep losing games we should win! People/fans/students will not support a losing season with their attendance!
Nothing cynical about reality.

Peay is located in a community (Clarksville, TN.) that sports an MSA of over 300K. It doesn't have to
compete for media and fan attention with the state flagship university a mere 25 miles away, as do we.
I'm not going to quote athletic budgets, etc.-but, as we all know-potential income for a conference makes
all the difference, and a school from a sizeable metro area with a growing fanbase potential would be
attractive.

Sadly, I can recall a 10,000 attended game prior to HC, a poor turnout; now it's a good turnout. As for
last night, wasn't it a "freebie" night for employees and other selected groups ? No wonder they didn't
show up with a bit of rain; they have nothing invested in the outcome of the game or the teams success.

I hope the leaders at our alma mater can learn how to compete; Western, Marshall, Appy State, MTSU,
and others that we once considered "rivals" have left us in their dust.

That's not cynical, that's the record.
Eternal Colonel

Peay is located in a community (Clarksville, TN.) that sports an MSA of over 300K. It doesn't have to
compete for media and fan attention with the state flagship university a mere 25 miles away, as do we.
I'm not going to quote athletic budgets, etc.-but, as we all know-potential income for a conference makes
all the difference, and a school from a sizeable metro area with a growing fanbase potential would be
attractive.

Sadly, I can recall a 10,000 attended game prior to HC, a poor turnout; now it's a good turnout. As for
last night, wasn't it a "freebie" night for employees and other selected groups ? No wonder they didn't
show up with a bit of rain; they have nothing invested in the outcome of the game or the teams success.

I hope the leaders at our alma mater can learn how to compete; Western, Marshall, Appy State, MTSU,

ColonelFan22

Post by ColonelFan22 »

Okay, just throw in the towel and be done with it. :roll:
BlueColonel

Post by BlueColonel »

Official attendance for the WCU game was 13,596. No doubt rain had an impact on that. My son and I hung in and just sat in the rain because we drove an hour to get there.

EKU was 15th in the country amongst FCS schools in 2022 averaging 12,069 a game. You can’t compare games 15-20 years ago to today. FCS as a whole just doesn’t draw like it use to.

Just as a frame of reference, the defending FCS National Champion South Dakota State averaged 15,561 a game. So EKU’s attendance is actually really good for an FCS program.

For an instate comparison, in 2022, FBS Western Kentucky averaged 15,440 a game, only 3,371 more than EKU.

EKU’s attendance is NOT BAD, and as a matter of fact is really good when compared to similar universities.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-20 ... ders-bzbz/

https://www.d1ticker.com/2022-fbs-attendance-trends/
ColonelFan22

Post by ColonelFan22 »

Eternal Colonel wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:15 pm

attractive.

This we “can’t” attitude is exactly why we are where we are. Same thing was said when Middle and Western moved up, “we can’t”. Now, we/you are saying APSU can but little ol’ EKU “can’t”. If we continue saying others can and EKU just cannot make it happen, to use your analogy, we might as well be ‘Head.
Eternal Colonel

..."attitude" ?

I presented facts. Unpleasant ones, that have nothing to do with feelings/attitude.

We all know the history. Other than the additions to the east and north side of the stadium,
I don't know what we've done to truly present a better face to the FBS.

Remember Coastal Carolina ? Started playing football in 2003; they're now in the Sun Belt.
They also have Michael Benson as their President.

I have no explanation-other than locale/community resources/and...leadership.

Saturday's game will mean a lot; I'd hoped this would be a season we'd all enjoy, so far...0-3.