Thoughts On The 2022 Season And Beyond

EKU05

Re: Thoughts On The 2022 Season And Beyond

Post by EKU05 »

Colonel12 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 am 1 player isn't a raid but 3 is. I didn't know I EKU had a connection at Bucknell.
No, but if a WR or two goes with him a la Bailey Zappe from HBU to Western...which I wouldn't rule out it could easily become one.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

Florida Gator
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

6'1" 225 lbs All Ivy League LB
eku022

Post by eku022 »

RollKerns wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:20 am I think there is one thing that is a consistent theme on this board, maybe more than anything else. EKU history is great. Tons of pride. Best historical program in the Commonwealth. Gotta get back to the old glory days. Then I also see: time has passed us by, complacency, our old foes we beat left us and we’re stuck holding the bag.

And I think all of these are true. Wanna know why Jax St in going to FBS? Success. You think EKU moves to FBS and has the same level of success James Madison had this year? What about App St? There’s one common theme. They had long term football success. Not having won a playoff game in my entire lifetime is not a recipe for any prayer of success. Money and facilities do matter, but even those aren’t top notch (albeit getting significantly better). I just don’t really know how to feel.

It was nice to have some success. But let’s not fool ourselves. We tied in a conference with two other teams. It’s not like we “won” much of anything, outside the Bowling Green game. That is an amazing bright spot. But the rest of the year, to use a term I’ve seen before, was hollow.

I don’t really know what to think. I know I want more than a thrashing in the first round of the playoff. It doesn’t seem like a crazy thing to hope for. I understand it’s hard to win national championships but it’s not crazy to compete or go like 10-1 every once in a while.
I feel like this topic comes up fairly often on this board.

EKU missed its opportunity to move up to the FBS level. When things were rolling, they should have made that jump back then. EKU can still go FBS but that road is much harder and having a mediocre record does not help. WKU made the right decision and is having success. I don't think that program has a better history, but they do have a better recent history which matters more. Honesty no one cares that EKU won two Ships in the 80s. The 80s might as well be like 100 years ago in the world of athletics. I don't think EKU had a forward-thinking President until Benson. Benson was a breath of fresh air compared to Whitlock. Benson really did a lot to help EKU and push it to this century. The University Board and President did a real disservice to all the athletic programs in not seeking to move up. A strong athletics department is literally worth its weight in gold if it's a successful program. I'm sure OSU football funds all sorts of programs, scholarships, building projects, etc at O-state with the revenue generated.

EKU hasn't had sustained football success. I'm talking about more than 8 wins regularly. More than 8 is not normal here. Hood had one 8-win season and one 9-win season. Before him Hope had one 9 win season before he left in like 07'. There isn't any consistency. I think that comes back to the AD and hiring choices. There should be an expectation to win games you should and be a contender to win the conference. I don't think that has been the case for a long time. It is easy to hire someone you are familiar with instead of doing your homework and finding a proven qualified coach.

I also think the City has not helped EKU either. Killing the nightlife was not the best decision. It is proven that the number one way to grow your city is to have a thriving university. Prime examples Lexington and Columbus OH. Both campuses are situated near a thriving downtown area that caters to students. Students graduate and decide to stay there. When you visit Richmond what is there to do for students on the weekend? That is why many go home or go to Lexington. Downtown Richmond can be a great place but the City government is terrible.

Lastly, we are too close to Lexington. WKU benefits from being the main attraction in BG and doesn't have to compete with UK or UL for their own students. I don't understand why you would go in a massive amount of student loan debt and wear another college's colors on campus.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

For reference, EKU contacted the MAC in 1985 to replace NIU when they left. MAC said no thanks.
eku022

Post by eku022 »

Steve 82 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:58 pm For reference, EKU contacted the MAC in 1985 to replace NIU when they left. MAC said no thanks.
Didn't know that. That's for dropping that nugget. I stand corrected. Do you know why the MAC passed at that time? Has there been a move other than 85'?
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

eku022 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:19 pm
Steve 82 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:58 pm For reference, EKU contacted the MAC in 1985 to replace NIU when they left. MAC said no thanks.
Didn't know that. That's for dropping that nugget. I stand corrected. Do you know why the MAC passed at that time? Has there been a move other than 85'?
Nothing in depth. Found that bit a few years back in a Chicago paper.

Once We hit the Funderburk era nothing on moving up. Only about him wanting to go non-scholarship like Morehead. Benson was the one to get it rolling seriously to go FBS.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

Our first one into the portal.
dmr55

Post by dmr55 »

Steve 82 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:24 pm Our first one into the portal.
He left the team many games ago