Rumor mill starting early...

Lion1983

Re: Rumor mill starting early...

Post by Lion1983 »

What I kinda think is happening, especially with Richmond complaining publicly like they did is Richmond, W&M, Elon and Charleston have approached the ASUN.

Richmond is the anomaly because they only play CAA football.

So the D2 school may be the way to make it even.

The deal may be let Richmond play in the UAC.

W&M, Elon and Charleston join the ASUN as full members. (Of course football in UAC)

That puts the ASUN at 15, so a Nova Southeastern, Tampa or whoever gets the 16 spot. I'm not going to speculate on D2 non football schools. I would have never thought Queens was ready, but here they are.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

Those additions make a very nice conference…..good football weather and decent travel for us
BleedMaroon

Post by BleedMaroon »

There were some rumors that Charleston was going to get an invite to the A-10 to backfill UMASS which was going to cause the trickle down of other teams leaving. Would LOVE to get Charleston though
Lion1983

Post by Lion1983 »

BleedMaroon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:06 am There were some rumors that Charleston was going to get an invite to the A-10 to backfill UMASS which was going to cause the trickle down of other teams leaving. Would LOVE to get Charleston though
I've heard those too...

The A-10 may not want to add though. They are in a position that they may want more money for less schools.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

Lion1983 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:04 am What I kinda think is happening, especially with Richmond complaining publicly like they did is Richmond, W&M, Elon and Charleston have approached the ASUN.

Richmond is the anomaly because they only play CAA football.

So the D2 school may be the way to make it even.

The deal may be let Richmond play in the UAC.

W&M, Elon and Charleston join the ASUN as full members. (Of course football in UAC)

That puts the ASUN at 15, so a Nova Southeastern, Tampa or whoever gets the 16 spot. I'm not going to speculate on D2 non football schools. I would have never thought Queens was ready, but here they are.
Question with Elon would be the football profile as all the ASUN/UAC schools are midsized publics. William and Mary, NC A&T and Towson St are the only ones that fit the football profile. May change if they potentially get a shot at a football school with Richmond's pedigree.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

UT Rio Grande Valley leaving the WAC/UAC for Southland.
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Steve 82 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:18 pm UT Rio Grande Valley leaving the WAC/UAC for Southland.
Well that's disappointing.
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

There is the potential that SFA could return to the Southland.
Also the potential the ASUN is going to add more football schools. Rumors include West Florida moving up as well as southern CAA school or schools (per Matt Brown).
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

I saw that too, Steve. That smells like a C-USA invite.

If so, it surprises me at least a little. I didn't expect to get a spot, but I figured if we lost out to a fellow UAC member it would be Tarleton. I suppose the powers that be are deeming SFA a safer bet now that they've joined the University of Texas system.

But where does all of this leave Missouri State? They've seemed like a sure bet for a while. Or am I totally wrong and this is something other than C-USA for SFA?
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

As soon as I posted that, I read something on the ASUN board that says that the original reporter doesn't know, but has a hunch that it could be a return to the Southland.

It had occurred to me before. Would it be worth our while to inquire about menbership with the Southland? We're a bit of a northern outlier, but we're southish, and it's a conference with FCS football that seems reasonably stable (to whatever degree a conference can be stable right now). I'd hate to leave Bellarmine and Austin Peay behind because I value those series. Maybe we approach the Southland together as a package deal with APSU.

I'm just thinking out loud. Probably none of this makes sense.