2018 Season

martinhall1966

2018 Season

Post by martinhall1966 »

Saturday was a new low for me. I have been going to RKS for 48 years and I have never felt embarrassed by our effort, until now. Little emotion, dropped passes, cut off routes, anemic offense, disjointed defense..... the list is endless. I will continue to be there to support our boys, but we need wholesale change!!!!! Go Colonels!
bigchill64

Re: 2018 Season

Post by bigchill64 »

Get rid of the juice bar, the big time weight room, the big time locker room, put them up together in the dingesest dorm on campus, make em eat every meal together, take the doors off the restroom stalls, shower in the gang showers, be ok when guys quit because they aren’t tough enough to make it, this staff has alienated itself from EKU history both staff and players.
ColonelForever

Post by ColonelForever »

As soon as I found out that Mark Elder was not retaining any assistant coaches from Kidd/Hope/Hood years, I knew that he was in over his head. Elder put himself into this mess by thinking he needed to “blow everything up”, as if Hood had run the program into the ground or something.
I have always been so proud of the tradition that EKU football has and I was fortunate enough to be a part of it as a player, however, after the game Saturday I felt sick, embarrassed, and disappointed that we find ourselves in this mess.
This staff has never made me or my former teammates feel welcome (except when I had a checkbook in hand). They’ve killed previous traditions and tried to create new ones (fire the cannon!?). Hell, former players were shunned away from the locker room when trying to go sing that song after a win.
If the current staff would actually embrace the past instead of use it as a recruiting tool, then we actually might see some improvement.
However, until then, we will just watch the program continue to crumble to the ground as Coach Kidd sadly looks on.
PackardFan

Post by PackardFan »

I'm new to Maroon Nation. That said, I do have some history as I spent time playing for Marshall in the 1980's We played EKU and we knew to button up our straps tight! Man they were tough as hell! That's not what I saw Saturday. When my boy decided to play at EKU, I told him about the war's I had with John Jackson, Copeland, OT #72 etc... I hope the team bounces back. I wasn't here when EKU was winning national championships, but I hope Elder gets saturday's effort turned around. Since I'm a parent of a player, I'll leave the direction of the program to the more experienced EKU supporters.
g--

Post by g-- »

Is that Packard as in Packard Motor Car Company?
PackardFan

Post by PackardFan »

No, Packard as in Packard Drive Akron, Ohio.
martinhall1966

Post by martinhall1966 »

Great post Colonel Forever! I appreciate you, and others, not candy-coating this crap. Leadership is essential in football, business and life. Roy got it. I watched Roy for 37 years, I had no doubt about who was in charge! It's not rocket science!Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way! Go Colonels! Just coach!!!!!!
Eternal Colonel

Post by Eternal Colonel »

ColonelForever wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 pm As soon as I found out that Mark Elder was not retaining any assistant coaches from Kidd/Hope/Hood years, I knew that he was in over his head. Elder put himself into this mess by thinking he needed to “blow everything up”, as if Hood had run the program into the ground or something.
I have always been so proud of the tradition that EKU football has and I was fortunate enough to be a part of it as a player, however, after the game Saturday I felt sick, embarrassed, and disappointed that we find ourselves in this mess.
This staff has never made me or my former teammates feel welcome (except when I had a checkbook in hand). They’ve killed previous traditions and tried to create new ones (fire the cannon!?). Hell, former players were shunned away from the locker room when trying to go sing that song after a win.
If the current staff would actually embrace the past instead of use it as a recruiting tool, then we actually might see some improvement.
However, until then, we will just watch the program continue to crumble to the ground as Coach Kidd sadly looks on.
I think we all appreciate your heartfelt and spot-on comments.

What is most concerning to me is not that Coach Elder didn't retain his predecessors associates
but-that men like yourself don't feel comfortable among your successors. I believe the
Athletic Director sets the tone that allows this poison to take on a life of it's own.

It's the most reprehensible kind of arrogance.

Even if we were winning double digit games and drawing triple the crowds we do, that conduct
would be just as vile.

Thank you for being a Colonel.
bigchill64

Post by bigchill64 »

Looking at the remaining schedule no other teams record would indicate that we couldn’t win out and end the year at 8-3. Obviously if we have the lackluster performance like we did against JSU that won’t happen. If EKU ends at 8-3 will it change our opinion of this staff? Not sure it would mine.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

bigchill64 wrote:Looking at the remaining schedule no other teams record would indicate that we couldn’t win out and end the year at 8-3. Obviously if we have the lackluster performance like we did against JSU that won’t happen. If EKU ends at 8-3 will it change our opinion of this staff? Not sure it would mine.
I'm reserving judgment to see if that happens. I think if it does then yes it's a step forward. Look JSU is a very talented team. If you judge our season vs maybe the best team on the schedule then you are only looking for disappointment.

Now if we continue to slide then yes Elder needs to be held accountable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Minority owner of Manchester United of England Premier League

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion