Bowling Green

Colonel12

Re: Bowling Green

Post by Colonel12 »

Bam wrote:
Maroon Forever wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:57 pm
ekugrad1970 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:35 pm Got to play up and win some of the games if we hope to go up. Have always felt the MAC is the best place for us to be......a win at Bowling Green could show we can compete
A stadium with a closed upper deck is not going to help us go up. Sadly, that’s not the biggest hurdle. That would be the budget.
What I do not understand is why upgrade the visitors side first and not the home side were the loyal fans are?
$$$$$$$

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Minority owner of Manchester United of England Premier League

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
FGColonel

Post by FGColonel »

Colonel12 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:48 am
Bam wrote:
Maroon Forever wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:57 pm

A stadium with a closed upper deck is not going to help us go up. Sadly, that’s not the biggest hurdle. That would be the budget.
What I do not understand is why upgrade the visitors side first and not the home side were the loyal fans are?
$$$$$$$

That and the fact that more peoples are apt to attend and sit on the other side than sit high up in the upper deck. Actually it is not JUST the visitors side. Many schools have fans that set on both side of the field. I have several friends that moved from upper deck seats to the other side and say they really like the seats. Only drawback is the sun for early games.
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
4 National Championship Games
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
FGColonel

Post by FGColonel »

ALSO, I was recently told that shutting down the upper deck was not solely a safety concern. It had to do with providing concessions, restrooms, ushers, security and maintenance (clean up) for the small number of people sitting there. .That is where the $$$ comes into play. Besides as it has s turned out, It just makes for a better game day experience for everyone. I was lead to believe if we consistently sell out the lower section and the new side, then the upper deck could be opened back up. LOl boy did we get off topic. :lol:
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
Bam

Post by Bam »

FGColonel wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 am ALSO, I was recently told that shutting down the upper deck was not solely a safety concern. It had to do with providing concessions, restrooms, ushers, security and maintenance (clean up) for the small number of people sitting there. .That is where the $$$ comes into play. Besides as it has s turned out, It just makes for a better game day experience for everyone. I was lead to believe if we consistently sell out the lower section and the new side, then the upper deck could be opened back up. LOl boy did we get off topic. :lol:
My bad. ADD I guess. I have a hard time seeing this team pulling off the W. Inconsistent QB play and BGSU will just stack the line to stop the rushing game. 30-10 BGSU. :x
Mess with the devil and get the horns
neugie

Post by neugie »

What wrong with the upper deck Never heard of a stadium falling apart after 49 years Must have been built with sub standard materials
FGColonel

Post by FGColonel »

to my knowledge nothing is wrong with it.
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
Eternal Colonel

Post by Eternal Colonel »

...I support shutting down the upper deck.

It's a terrible look seeing 5,000 folks in an edifice meant to hold 15-20K.

I was impressed with the look across the field against Moronhead into
the new stadium area; lots of maroon and a bit of blue in what used
to be high-schoolish aluminum stands. I'd suspect our new "visitors"
side is nicer than several OVC stadiums.

For now, with all the prosperity in CFB in general, I seriously doubt
there'll be any movement allowing us to be considered; even if
there was, I'm not sure we're high on the "pecking order" anymore.

If we can ever begin winning again, perhaps there'll be a reason
to discuss moving up.
EKUPROF

Post by EKUPROF »

The sections upstairs covered by the tarps are not safe for occupancy. The university actually put out a bid previously to repair it, but the cost projections were high. The Begley Building has major issues. Others on campus have reported it is moving closer to the field and the sections are separating. Plus it is an accessibility nightmare. Other than the repainting and patching of concrete annually before the season begins, very little has been done to the building over the years. The new presidential entertaining area, AD box upgrades, and home locker room updates are a few of the athletics upgrades over the past decade. There are specific reasons the huge signs were placed on the center ramp of the building near the ticket booths. The signs cover the huge sections of concrete that have dislodged.

If you have not been in the academic areas of the Begley Building lately, you might be surprised at the condition. To many issues to list here. Frequent flooding, leaking are just a few. Facilities Services have commented it is one of the worst on campus.

If you remember when Benson first came there was a proposal to build the new fitness/wellness center on the home side, but it never materialized. As has been stated before, it is a money issue. Cost projections to raze and remove the debris were in the millions.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm of fans advocating for FBS, we need to keep things in perspective. With the current budget situation there is no way that the university can support the additional resources that would be required. The students also would not support additional fees. Plus we only had about 10,000 at the home opener. Long way from being a viable candidate for FBS. This will get even harder when state legislatures crack down on athletic fees across the country.
ekugrad1970

Post by ekugrad1970 »

You make excellent points.....the first remedy is to start winning consistently......more fans in the In the seats
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

14-0 EKU in the first. We are running at will vs them

Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Minority owner of Manchester United of England Premier League

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion