Marshall Game

dljordaneku

Re: Marshall Game

Post by dljordaneku »

bbneutralfan wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:19 am Yes FGColonel I saw several of the games both in Richmond and at Old Fairfield stadium in Huntington. If my memory is correct I believe at one time we approached Coach Kidd about coaching at Marshall and to his credit he remained loyal to EKU.
Loyalty among coaches today seems to be less important with all the switching in jobs.
Welcome to the Maroon Nation. :) I have now set your account so that your post will appear when you post and no longer requires me to approve them. I have such a hard time with spammers on here that I have to set the board to require me to approve the post for new users.

dj
bill54

Post by bill54 »

FGColonel wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:29 am
Marvin wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:37 pm In the past, lots of EKU fans traveling to Huntington and great games between the Herd and Colonels. Not sure what to expect in terms of our fans traveling back there now or what to expect from the Colonels. I hope we will hold our own and run up some yardage as we did vs ‘Head.
We had some highly competitive games in the past, would love to see that Saturday, and EKU come away with a W! Go Big E!
BTW, if memory serves me, we beat the Herd in the last game in Fairfield Stadium.
Yes we did. I think Marcus Thomas ran for something like 300 yds
I remember watching this game. If my memory serves me correctly, Thomas had 303 yds.
bbneutralfan

Post by bbneutralfan »

Yes you guys put one on us that day. The good thing for Marshall that day was that it marked the end of playing in Fairfield Stadium as we moved into the new stadium the following year. Thank goodness!
FGColonel

Post by FGColonel »

bbneutralfan wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 pm The good thing for Marshall that day was that it marked the end of playing in Fairfield Stadium as we moved into the new stadium the following year. Thank goodness!
No argument here. Fairfield was a terrible place to play for Herd opponents. The visitors bench was right against the wall and the first row of fan seating was directly above the bench. It seems the worst of the fans got those seats. The close quarters heckling and harassing was terrible but expected, but these guys would pour drinks down on us and when drunk enough even spit on us.
But anyway... We had some great games for sure. After you guys made the announcement that you were moving back to 1A recruiting immediately elevated and you were hard to handle. I really miss those days.
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
4 National Championship Games
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
HZ20

Post by HZ20 »

Marvin wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:37 pmif memory serves me, we beat the Herd in the last game in Fairfield Stadium.
Here is a lil factoid: Marshall has only lost 26 games at "Home" since then...
bbneutralfan

Post by bbneutralfan »

FGColonel please correct me if I am wrong but I sense you may be in my age range. I am 71 soon to be 72 so don’t be offended if I way off. Yes Fairfield was a relic. I started at Marshall in 1964 but left for three years in the Army in 1966 until 1969. I was one of the athletic trainers in 1970 obviously not on that fatal flight. Anyway I went on to earn two degrees from Marshall and then taught in the history department until I retired and still teach their.
Today fan behavior is much better and should you come I think you will find our fans friendly and welcoming. I look forward to a very good game and we know Eastern will give us there very best and we would not expect anything less.
bill54

Post by bill54 »

bbneutralfan wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 pm Yes you guys put one on us that day. The good thing for Marshall that day was that it marked the end of playing in Fairfield Stadium as we moved into the new stadium the following year. Thank goodness!
I was remembering a game in Richmond where I thought Thomas had >300 yds. Could be wrong. I also saw the last game at Fairfield Stadium.
bill54

Post by bill54 »

The game notes for the Marshall game are out, listing Allen as starting QB. I thought Allen did a good job against Morehead, however, I hope all the dropped passes weren't held against Scott. The EKU receivers made Scott look worse the first half. I was pleased when newcomer Beerman showed the veterans how to catch a pass.
blessed

Post by blessed »

This will be my first trip to Marshall, very much looking forward to it. Would anyone have a recommendation of where to park for pre-game tailgating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blessed

Post by blessed »

This will be my first trip to Marshall, very much looking forward to it. Would anyone have a recommendation of where to park for pre-game tailgating? Grilling Bison Burgers on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk