• Advertisement

One thing to remember for all of us.

One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby Sae » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 am

Let me start off saying no one here is happy with the current state of the program and feel that changes need to be made. People have different opinions about what those changes need to be. Now's here is a rant from myself who coaches and deals with parents and fans.

We can all have our own opinion, but there is a reason every coach does what they do with playcalling, lineup moves and so on. They see the kids in the weight room, on the practice field, on film, in meetings. They see these kids more than there own children. Regardless of what some may think, Coaches don't enjoy losing and getting told they suck, it's not fun. If the coaches didn't make a move at QB, they have a reason, I'm 100% positive about it. A play may not work right but it is not designed to lose 2 yards because 2nd and 12 is more fun than 2nd and 3.

This does not mean that the coach is above criticism, he's getting paid for the job and know what is signed up for. However, I guarantee he's not making decisions trying appease the people in the crowd, he's trying to help a program. A college coach has seen more football then 1000 fans has combined. This is why I give him more slack than most here do, he has info we don't. Things are close, yes changes need made but like it or not we are in for at least one more year, if improvement is not made next year, we will see a new coach but till then, he's our guy. oh by the way everyone is throwing a fit because we didn't beat a playoff team from last year with a top 10 D by enough points because we suck. Think about that for a sec.
Sae
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby Colonel12 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 am

Very well said.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Former and hopefully future Walt Disney World cast member

Witnessed live the play that had EKU make the #1 play on SportsCenter on Saturday November 6, 2010

I Believe in the Power of Maroon

EKU Baseball writer for OVCBall
Colonel12
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:40 am
Location: Richmond, KY

Re: One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby Eternal Colonel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 am

...unlike "fan bases"-EKU Football passion is highly, if not totally-alumni
driven.

This board is reflective of that.

I read a lot of dialed-in, astute observations about the state of,
history of, and future of the program we care about above all.

Very much appreciated.

I also read (and contribute) observations borne of frustration
and directed at yes...players, staff and, administration for
individual losses and for the state of the program.

No apologies necessary.

We know coaches "don't intend or like to lose"; the fact that
they do lose and often, the way they lose is what drives our
frustration.

No one owes an apology for their passion.

Mark Elder will be HC in 2018, I wish him well.
Steve Lochmueller will be AD in 2018, I wish him well.

I will attend as many games at home (350 mi. away) as
I can and will do so for away games close by. I encourage
each of you who live close by to do the same.

2018 will be critical, players and staff will need our
support.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and Go Colonels !!!
Eternal Colonel
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 am

Re: One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby Sae » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 am

Eternal Colonel wrote:...unlike "fan bases"-EKU Football passion is highly, if not totally-alumni
driven.

This board is reflective of that.

I read a lot of dialed-in, astute observations about the state of,
history of, and future of the program we care about above all.

Very much appreciated.

I also read (and contribute) observations borne of frustration
and directed at yes...players, staff and, administration for
individual losses and for the state of the program.

No apologies necessary.

We know coaches "don't intend or like to lose"; the fact that
they do lose and often, the way they lose is what drives our
frustration.

No one owes an apology for their passion.

Mark Elder will be HC in 2018, I wish him well.
Steve Lochmueller will be AD in 2018, I wish him well.

I will attend as many games at home (350 mi. away) as
I can and will do so for away games close by. I encourage
each of you who live close by to do the same.

2018 will be critical, players and staff will need our
support.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and Go Colonels !!!


I'm not saying anyone owes an apology. My point was this, one example is people questioning the QB position and lack of a move being made. My point is this, NO fan, dont care how dedicated they are has the info the coach has. His job is the one on the line not ours, if he thought there was a better option to get the job done he would make it. he is not just going oh well stick with this guy, I'm 100% positive he has a reason. I've been in the very same situations he has, and not even on the same level, but I'd bet money he has a reason for a move or lack there of. Fans and I am guilty of this as well, always have the better way to do things and we voice them on message boards like this, but you don't go to a restaurant and think you can out cook the chef.
Sae
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby Eternal Colonel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Sae wrote:
Eternal Colonel wrote:...unlike "fan bases"-EKU Football passion is highly, if not totally-alumni
driven.

This board is reflective of that.

I read a lot of dialed-in, astute observations about the state of,
history of, and future of the program we care about above all.

Very much appreciated.

I also read (and contribute) observations borne of frustration
and directed at yes...players, staff and, administration for
individual losses and for the state of the program.

No apologies necessary.

We know coaches "don't intend or like to lose"; the fact that
they do lose and often, the way they lose is what drives our
frustration.

No one owes an apology for their passion.

Mark Elder will be HC in 2018, I wish him well.
Steve Lochmueller will be AD in 2018, I wish him well.

I will attend as many games at home (350 mi. away) as
I can and will do so for away games close by. I encourage
each of you who live close by to do the same.

2018 will be critical, players and staff will need our
support.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and Go Colonels !!!


I'm not saying anyone owes an apology. My point was this, one example is people questioning the QB position and lack of a move being made. My point is this, NO fan, dont care how dedicated they are has the info the coach has. His job is the one on the line not ours, if he thought there was a better option to get the job done he would make it. he is not just going oh well stick with this guy, I'm 100% positive he has a reason. I've been in the very same situations he has, and not even on the same level, but I'd bet money he has a reason for a move or lack there of. Fans and I am guilty of this as well, always have the better way to do things and we voice them on message boards like this, but you don't go to a restaurant and think you can out cook the chef.


Sae-I get your point and it's valid.

Again-I only speak for myself.
Eternal Colonel
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 am

One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby Colonel Since '65 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Sae wrote:
. . . you don't go to a restaurant and think you can out cook the chef.

Sae, your basic point is valid, I think. However, your example makes me want to ask if it is ok to go to a restaurant and point out that the food tastes bad.
User avatar
Colonel Since '65
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby Sae » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Colonel Since '65 wrote:
Sae wrote:
. . . you don't go to a restaurant and think you can out cook the chef.

Sae, your basic point is valid, I think. However, your example makes me want to ask if it is ok to go to a restaurant and point out that the food tastes bad.

yes, and it was not a great example because people have different taste, but most people would agree that the chef has more knowledge about cooking then Joe grillmaster, even if the steak is not perfect that time.
Sae
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby colonelblitz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 pm

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve spent a lot of years watching a HOF coach , coach. It’s amazing what one can learn from just Observations. Add a little brains and common sense. Then I believe even this non-expert could make good decisions 30% of the time. :) Let’s go back to the uk game when Scott game in and drove down the field for a TD. Impressive, yes. QB controversy? Nope, not according to coach. He said he was going to play the one that gave us the greatest opportunity for a win. Fast forward to today. How well did that work for us. We will never know. Scott only got in for one series each game. Except SEMO. But then again he did come in and lead them to the only touchdown his second series. My only gripe about that is he should’ve played more. Especially when a losing season had been decided ..... Boyle’s career stats. 30 games. Played in or started .. Pass atts. 602 comp. 334. Yds.3371. TD.12 INT. 26 ..pick 6(3) interceptions in the end zone 5.
colonelblitz
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby Sae » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 am

colonelblitz wrote:I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve spent a lot of years watching a HOF coach , coach. It’s amazing what one can learn from just Observations. Add a little brains and common sense. Then I believe even this non-expert could make good decisions 30% of the time. :) Let’s go back to the uk game when Scott game in and drove down the field for a TD. Impressive, yes. QB controversy? Nope, not according to coach. He said he was going to play the one that gave us the greatest opportunity for a win. Fast forward to today. How well did that work for us. We will never know. Scott only got in for one series each game. Except SEMO. But then again he did come in and lead them to the only touchdown his second series. My only gripe about that is he should’ve played more. Especially when a losing season had been decided ..... Boyle’s career stats. 30 games. Played in or started .. Pass atts. 602 comp. 334. Yds.3371. TD.12 INT. 26 ..pick 6(3) interceptions in the end zone 5.


only thing I can add was maybe he was not ready for the whole offensive package, or had something he was struggling with. As much good as reps can do for a kid, they can also do a lot of harm if they are not in a good situation. I have lived this very situation had a senior and a freshman at the high school level. The freshman showed more promise but as the team struggled our HC did not want to change starters, both kids played but we didn't want to put a young kid in a situation to fail and hurt him for the future. I'm not saying this was EKU situation, but people from the outside could look at my situation and say make the move, from a program standpoint we could have hurt the kid and program when he was going to start the next 3 years. Again I'm not saying this is our situation this year, but there may be more info than what we outside the program have available to us. That's why I give him the benefit of the doubt in these situations, there's a reason he did what he did.
Sae
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: One thing to remember for all of us.

Postby colonelblitz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 am

Good points.. Can’t say that didn’t cross my mind also. I just saw way to many 3 in outs, the inability to get a Crucial first down. Every team never played the QB to run. I had high hopes for Boyle this season. After the first 2 games I felt really good. It went down hill after that. Then back to back wins and a shot at a winning season , only to give it away. But there’s plenty of bad plays or lack of a play , missed assignments, bad tacking, D backs out of position , getting burned for TD’s. To go around.
colonelblitz
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Next

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

  • Advertisement